Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Gimbal for 60-250 lens on 1.5crop APSC

  1. #1
    Member easyFinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Shenzhen
    Posts
    219

    Default Gimbal for 60-250

    Hi Sifus, appreciate your thoughts on gimbal head appropriate for 60-250 lens for shooting birds...

    I was looking at Jobu Jr.3 or Induro GHB1..

    Appreciate all advise. Thanks

    Adrian

  2. #2
    Member easyFinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Shenzhen
    Posts
    219

    Default Gimbal for 60-250 lens on 1.5crop APSC

    Hi all,

    Planning to get gimbal head to shoot birds with my 60-250 on 1.5crop body.

    I found Jobu Jr.3 or Induro GHB1 online to be potential candidates..

    I hope seasoned shooters can offer some advise or recommendations.

    Thanks

    Adrian

  3. #3
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Gimbal for 60-250 lens on 1.5crop APSC

    What kind of advice you are looking for?

    I have the Jobu Jr 3 deluxe and it is quite impressive for its small size and weight.

    What kinds of birds do you want to shoot? 250 on APS-C is a little short for birding actually.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 10th February 2014 at 05:27 PM.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Gimbal for 60-250 lens on 1.5crop APSC

    I used to own the JR3 but never used the Induro before.
    JR3 bearing is very smooth and the head is pretty stable too.
    Jobu would be my second choice for Gimbal after Wimberley.
    I tested the Benro but the bearing is not as smooth as JR3.
    and yes even though small size,it still can support my gears of about 5.5kg.

  5. #5

    Default

    The gimbal u havw suggested are pretty good. Those gimbal have a working load capacity of up to 20kg. A bit over kill for the 60-250. Unless u plan to upgrade to a havier lens in the future. But u also need to consider the tripod u pair with your gimbal to match the max load weight. My 2 cent

  6. #6
    Member easyFinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Shenzhen
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    What kind of advice you are looking for? I have the Jobu Jr 3 deluxe and it is quite impressive for its small size and weight. What kinds of birds do you want to shoot? 250 on APS-C is a little short for birding actually.
    many thanks. will try out first and add on 1.4x later on...

  7. #7
    Member easyFinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Shenzhen
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbonetics View Post
    I used to own the JR3 but never used the Induro before. JR3 bearing is very smooth and the head is pretty stable too. Jobu would be my second choice for Gimbal after Wimberley. I tested the Benro but the bearing is not as smooth as JR3. and yes even though small size,it still can support my gears of about 5.5kg.
    many thanks. with both your input looks like I should start off with the JR3

  8. #8
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Gimbal for 60-250 lens on 1.5crop APSC

    Quote Originally Posted by easyFinger View Post
    many thanks. with both your input looks like I should start off with the JR3
    There is one concern with the JR3 though. Because it is smaller and sits lower, it might not clear the bottom sometimes if your foot plate is too long, or if your tripod foot is very close to your cam body, or if you are using a battery grip on your cam body. It will still work, just that your range of up down movement will be restricted more.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 10th February 2014 at 11:42 PM.

  9. #9
    Member easyFinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Shenzhen
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trowa77 View Post
    The gimbal u havw suggested are pretty good. Those gimbal have a working load capacity of up to 20kg. A bit over kill for the 60-250. Unless u plan to upgrade to a havier lens in the future. But u also need to consider the tripod u pair with your gimbal to match the max load weight. My 2 cent
    many thanks. will checkout lighter options and matching tripod + gimbal combo

  10. #10
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Gimbal for 60-250 lens on 1.5crop APSC

    Please do not ask the same questions across different subforums/topics. Threads merged. Thanks.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Gimbal for 60-250 lens on 1.5crop APSC

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    There is one concern with the JR3 though. Because it is smaller and sits lower, it might not clear the bottom sometimes if your foot plate is too long, or if your tripod foot is very close to your cam body, or if you are using a battery grip on your cam body. It will still work, just that your range of up down movement will be restricted more.

    yes,especially if u are shooting upwards..
    i believe most Gimbal has this problem but the thing is that some can allow higher angle..
    the JR3 can actually adjust the base position manually by screws(some Gimbals are using knob to tighten/loosen and then slide up and down),i think there are 3 height positions...the higher the position,the higher u can point towards the sky..but if IIRC,a longer plate is actually more useful because u have more room to adjust the position.
    tripod height also plays a part too.

  12. #12
    Member easyFinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Shenzhen
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Please do not ask the same questions across different subforums/topics. Threads merged. Thanks.
    sorry, I posted under Pentax due to my gear brand then realised might get more feedback from everyone having similar setup.

    Thanks for merging.

  13. #13
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Gimbal for 60-250 lens on 1.5crop APSC

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbonetics View Post
    yes,especially if u are shooting upwards..
    i believe most Gimbal has this problem but the thing is that some can allow higher angle..
    the JR3 can actually adjust the base position manually by screws(some Gimbals are using knob to tighten/loosen and then slide up and down),i think there are 3 height positions...the higher the position,the higher u can point towards the sky..but if IIRC,a longer plate is actually more useful because u have more room to adjust the position.
    tripod height also plays a part too.
    Yes, but the problem is especially apparent with the JR3. The problem with shifting the arm upwards can be a problem if the lens is bigger or the foot larger. When the arm is moved upwards, the lens might not sit at the correct pivot point at the CG. The other option is to remove the arm all together and mount the QR clamp direct, but have to side mount.

    BTW shooting downwards can be a problem too, esp if the tripod plate in front is long.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 11th February 2014 at 11:38 AM.

  14. #14

    Default

    Yah,the higher the arm,the harder to get the CG..its law of physics we can't defy..between long and short plate there are pros and cons to them..to either shoot high or low on a long plate,we have to adjust the position pushing front for shooting high up and pulling back for shooting downwards..but the CG won't be correct...long plate can be used in almost any lens from small to big an can be more precise in achieving the correct CG point.

  15. #15
    Member easyFinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Shenzhen
    Posts
    219

    Default

    thanks for all the input. looks like I have to do some calculation to get the right gimbal+plate setup for my lens to get CG properly adjusted and still have reasonable tilt.

    Really appreciate your help.

  16. #16
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Gimbal for 60-250 lens on 1.5crop APSC

    Quote Originally Posted by easyFinger View Post
    thanks for all the input. looks like I have to do some calculation to get the right gimbal+plate setup for my lens to get CG properly adjusted and still have reasonable tilt.

    Really appreciate your help.
    Actually, it is best to bring your setup with the plate down to the store and try it out. TK foto has a display set. It the JR3 works fine then it is a great buy. If not, go for the bigger Jobu HD3

  17. #17
    Member easyFinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Shenzhen
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Actually, it is best to bring your setup with the plate down to the store and try it out. TK foto has a display set. It the JR3 works fine then it is a great buy. If not, go for the bigger Jobu HD3
    I'm based in China now, maybe will head to Hong Kong to try out there... Thanks

  18. #18
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by easyFinger View Post

    I'm based in China now, maybe will head to Hong Kong to try out there... Thanks
    In that case maybe get a china brand one and use for now

  19. #19
    Member easyFinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Shenzhen
    Posts
    219

    Default

    searched & found Beike BK-45.. 368. probably start with that. Thanks

  20. #20
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Gimbal for 60-250 lens on 1.5crop APSC

    Quote Originally Posted by easyFinger View Post
    searched & found Beike BK-45.. 368. probably start with that. Thanks
    Try not to go too cheap. Some cheaper builds are achieved by using lousier alloy that can become very brittle. Get something that is at least moderate.

    Can also check if you can find this in China? Where in China are you based?


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •