Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lightmeter obsolete?

Quote Originally Posted by E1g3
    Is lightmeter relevant in today's digital environment?
    How reliable and consistent are the metering systems in today's dslr?
    I was told nothing beat the lightmeter in consistency and accuracy.
    Any comments and if i want to buy, any recomendation, not too ex.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caspere
    For most photogs here in clubsnap (generalization), they do not NEED one. However, knowing the profile of crowd here, most would like to BUY one. And eventually, most will OWN one. Especially, if ONE of them claims that having one made his photo better.
    Maybe I should be more constructive instead of the earlier flip (above). Sorry.

I should have said;

If you never had any problem with metering problems or inconsistency, then you most probably do not need one. If someone hadn't mentioned it, you would have saved yourself a bundle without your images for worst.

Now, that someone had "opened" your eyes, please go and review the images to see if you really need a lightmeter for those problems (see above). Please bear in mind some are charateristics of each metering programme like Evaluative, Matrix, etc. Spotmeter should provide the most consistency of all. If, after all the above, and you still do need one, then think about your budget, or requirements.

$100 plus to above $500. From Polaris to Minolta/Sekonic.

My experience:
    I never needed one until I attended and practiced Zone. My Eos 10s and Eos 1 have given me great images and consistency, that is, until I started Zone. Both bodies had "spotmetering," but I find it a hassle and they were 1/2 stop different. (I know these "problems" is due to the coverage of the spotmetering sensor and field of view so it was not the bodies fault).

I took the advice of my professor and sent the Eos 1 for shutter calibration, then use solely it for my Zone assignments. I also bought my first lightmeter, Minolta Spotmeter F. With both, my workflow became much easier. The Spotmeter were on my neck everywhere I go; metering this that and running the calculations thru my mind. And during those times with the camera, it became instinct.

The point is, every camera body will have some differences. Understand those difference in metering types, use the "spotmetering" type if possible. Otherwise get a lightmeter.

Oh yes. Now I am shooting JPG, ocassionally I still whip out my Sekonic L-508, but most of the time I just use the histogram. If its critical, I use RAW and shoot to the right.

Oh yes. Now I am shooting JPG, ocassionally I still whip out my Sekonic L-508, but most of the time I just use the histogram. If its critical, I use RAW and shoot to the right.
    Just want to ask, what is the meaning of 'use RAW and shoot to the right'.

Lightbulb

me curious too. what is 'shoot to the right'.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum
    Just want to ask, what is the meaning of 'use RAW and shoot to the right'.

Please read

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...stograms.shtml

And after you understood the above, read this

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...se-right.shtml

The author has written very comprehensively on this matter. Enjoy.

Cheers.

Lightbulb

spare us. the gist pls.

Please read

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...stograms.shtml

And after you understood the above, read this

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...se-right.shtml

The author has written very comprehensively on this matter. Enjoy.

Cheers.

Don't be lazy. Read la...

Every now and then I will read them again. They update whenever there is new developments. They put in the effort to share, the least one can do is to learn from their experience.

I believe digital shooters will learn more on these TWO pages then shooting 10,000 images blindly.....

Don't be lazy. Read la...

Every now and then I will read them again. They update whenever there is new developments. They put in the effort to share, the least one can do is to learn from their experience.

I believe digital shooters will learn more on these TWO pages then shooting 10,000 images blindly.....
    Thanks for the info & cheers dude!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123