Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which dvd writer?

Finally bought and installed the Asus DRW1608P today, think it is similar to the pioneer 109/A09 drive. Using same firmware 1.40

Unfortunately, it still wouldn't burn the TDK DVDRW+ rewriteable
    The blank discs (10) must be defective liao......

Took about 14 and half mins to burn 4.3gb data on a blank 4X DVD-R........

Try update the firmware.

I use mostly NEC and Pioneer, currently own the 16X NEC and A09 Pioneer. Any one of this will do fine. Most TDK (except the 12X which is a LiteOn) are NEC OEMs.

As of now, I'd say, TDK & Pioneer..

If Teac were still manufacturing their own optical drives (they've OEM'ed since the 52x CD-RW's), they'd certainly be one of the best as well..

Quote Originally Posted by Benign
    Finally bought and installed the Asus DRW1608P today, think it is similar to the pioneer 109/A09 drive. Using same firmware 1.40

Unfortunately, it still wouldn't burn the TDK DVDRW+ rewriteable
    The blank discs (10) must be defective liao......

Took about 14 and half mins to burn 4.3gb data on a blank 4X DVD-R........
    Nah... 14.5mins for 1 blank DVD is nothing.

U tried 45mins for 1x 640MB CDR? Very nostalgic man...

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Nah... 14.5mins for 1 blank DVD is nothing.

U tried 45mins for 1x 640MB CDR? Very nostalgic man...
    and once u start to burn, you can't do anything else on the PC, better, shut down all program and left the CD-Burning software only. no BURNproof !!

i still have my HP 8x write, 4x RW in my drawer, no BURNproof cost me $299 many many years ago

Quote Originally Posted by caseytan
    and once u start to burn, you can't do anything else on the PC, better, shut down all program and left the CD-Burning software only. no BURNproof !!

i still have my HP 8x write, 4x RW in my drawer, no BURNproof cost me $299 many many years ago
    ooh. my CREATIVE 12x write 10x rewrite and 32x read cost me $360 back then. yikes.. my first writable drive.
    Canon 300D, 30D, 5D. 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS

Quote Originally Posted by djork
    ooh. my CREATIVE 12x write 10x rewrite and 32x read cost me $360 back then. yikes.. my first writable drive.
    hehe, i've since upgraded to a Iomega 40x write for $99, and now a Pionner A09

Try update the firmware.
    Dun think there is firmware update for the Mitsubishi drive lor. It is now sitting as backup.

Actually, there is nothing to shout about. I still be burning 4X blank discs(50) coz I am stuck with them. 16X speed blanks is still not yet available in Oz.

Quote Originally Posted by tao
    get the pioneer.

compared with other brands, generally, it is not the fastest but one of the more reliable ones and certainly the quietest.
    yes, they are the most reliable but the problem with pioneer is that it can only accept good quality (read : expensive) media, and the choice of good media is limited in singapore

if u throw in those cheaper bulk-pack DVD (which is more popular choice in sg), u may not be able to burn at all.

if i were u, i will choose a writer that is optimised for media in singapore and always come out with firmware update to use with new media

i will recommend benq and TDK, the price is more affordable and although they dont make the drive themselves, they bother to go a step further by testing and optimise the firmware to use with most of the media in the market, so that u can get good quality burn at fastest speed
    Last edited by Wai; 24th June 2005 at 05:58 PM.
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Quote Originally Posted by caseytan
    Ya, talking about many many years ago, I'm one of buyers that bought the 1st consumer available DVD Writer; THE Pioneer A02 cost abt S$1299

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    yes, they are the most reliable but the problem with pioneer is that it can only accept good quality (read : expensive) media, and the choice of good media is limited in singapore

if u throw in those cheaper bulk-pack DVD (which is more popular choice in sg), u may not be able to burn at all.

if i were u, i will choose a writer that is optimised for media in singapore and always come out with firmware update to use with new media

i will recommend benq and TDK, the price is more affordable and although they dont make the drive themselves, they bother to go a step further by testing and optimise the firmware to use with most of the media in the market, so that u can get good quality burn at fastest speed
    Get a Plextor

Quote Originally Posted by tim
    Ya, talking about many many years ago, I'm one of buyers that bought the 1st consumer available DVD Writer; THE Pioneer A02 cost abt S$1299
    i have one of them too, at that time each piece of DVD-R cost $30, and guess what? the first 2 disc that i burn became coaster..$60 gone
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Finally I see Benq name mentioned. Isn't it one of the most popular dvd writer brand recently?

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Get a Plextor
    Agree fully. The 716A is very good, though I do not think it is the latest from Plextor.

From experience, when the job schedule is very tight, I need the peace of mind that the equipment is running top notch or fail-safe - brings me great sanity.
    Yes, there is a price to pay. But then, the paying client deserves top service too. The cost of a screw-up can be shuddering high.

I see GHOST!

Saving some files using my office DVD-RW drive. I am using a CD-R but you know what? The file was OVERWRITE! I open the file again and confirmed it was the amended copy. Now wondering what is happening liao.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

CD-R can write multiple sessions.....
    I guess you write the same file more than one sessions hence the older file was 'deleted or over-written'.

Check the size of your files and CD-R, you should reach some conclusion...

Quote Originally Posted by freeworld
    CD-R can write multiple sessions.....
    I guess you write the same file more than one sessions hence the older file was 'deleted or over-written'.

Check the size of your files and CD-R, you should reach some conclusion...
    I use XP at home to burn. 2 files, 1 Excel and 1 PowerPoint. In the end, I got 3 files as I renamed the excel, not the powerpoint. Now I see 2 excel and 1 powerpoint when exploring the disc. Will go home and check the original file size for the powerpoint. If also 60+ kb, that mean something wrong liao.

If I am not wrong, multi session wouldn't over write. I think it is like it become another "folder" for those new files which you saved.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Haha, freeworld, i using a BENQ 1620 Pro. Very good drive. Solid and stable. Not as fussy with DVD media as some of the other drives. Benq made the right choice paring up with philips to produce this DVD writer. BTW, they come out with the 1640 model liao.

JosephTeo,
    Good to know someone is using BenQ in this forum

How long have you been using your 1620 Pro? Just want to make sure their reliability has really improved....

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Get a Plextor
    i second that =)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast