Thread: From Spain

Talking From Spain

http://www.pbase.com/arian001/spain

All shots are taken w/ wide angle w/o tripod

Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff; 21st September 2002 at 10:46 PM.

How about rotating those portrait images for easier viewing?

Originally posted by Kit
    How about rotating those portrait images for easier viewing?
    Done

Your pics really remind me of the past when I was there in Seville and Granada. Almost every pics you took, either I was there or had taken similar, how nice!

I also visited Almeria, Barcelona, Madrid, Malaga and Heulva. Did you happen to see the bull-fight or the flamenco dance or tried their paella?

Originally posted by jasphotography
    Your pics really remind me of the past when I was there in Seville and Granada. Almost every pics you took, either I was there or had taken similar, how nice!

I also visited Almeria, Barcelona, Madrid, Malaga and Heulva. Did you happen to see the bull-fight or the flamenco dance or tried their paella?
    Visited Granada, Seville and Madrid. Was there for 2 weeks, 1st week conference at Granada. Watched the Flamenco twice and having their paella for every lunch. Missed the bull fight due to poor timing. Anyway, got to visit the three museums in Madrid, as well as the palace. In Seville, visited the world third largest cathedral. In Granada, the Alhambra of course. Man Awesome! Will be there another time when free. Targeting Toledo/Cordoba next stop.

My next field trip next year would be to Austria, the land of music and water.

Looking forward to it and saving up of course.

Jeff (over 700pixs taken)
    Last edited by Jeff; 21st September 2002 at 10:44 PM.

Need some advice from you guys..

How safe is it in Spain (particularly Barcelona and Madrid) to travel alone? Is public transport convenient over there (to avoid sleezy taxi drivers) ?

TIA.

Originally posted by Jeff

Visited Granada, Seville and Madrid. Was there for 2 weeks, 1st week conference at Granada. Watched the Flamenco twice and having their paella for every lunch. Missed the bull fight due to poor timing. Anyway, got to visit the three museums in Madrid, as well as the palace. In Seville, visited the world third largest cathedral. In Granada, the Alhambra of course. Man Awesome! Will be there another time when free. Targeting Toledo/Cordoba next stop.
    Glad that you didn't miss the 2 iconic aspects of Spain - Paella & Flamenco. Sure the paella (especially the squid flavour) is gorgeous though it looks a little hideous (black).

I almost missed the bull-fight due to super long queve, gave up initially but was offered & bought the black market ticket instead!

My next field trip next year would be to Austria, the land of music and water.

Looking forward to it and saving up of course.

Jeff
    land of music and water? You mean land of the "sound of music" ?!?! Anyway, yes... Austria do have plenty of music and water. Otherwise, they wouldn't have got flooded lately

I would advise you to visit Austria during the Christmas seaon when every town/city is full of life with Christmas market at night.
    The snow will, without doubt, add a lovely touch to the season.

Photography-wise? Is a god-send!

Originally posted by Acieed
    Need some advice from you guys..

How safe is it in Spain (particularly Barcelona and Madrid) to travel alone? Is public transport convenient over there (to avoid sleezy taxi drivers) ?

TIA.
    I think Madrid is much safer than Bacelona. In granada, I was conned 4 bucks for a strand of leave. Just ignore any person who approach u w/o any apparent reason.

Do keep ur wallet in ur front pocket instead of in the back pocket. U'll notice everyone does it this way. Anyway, most folks there are very friendly, although they can speak very little English. Do pick up some simple Spanish for convenience.

Travelling in Spain is pretty cheap. Bus ~ 0.85Euro. Cab almost comparable to Singapore w 3 bucks surcharge to airport.

If u want decent living, get a least a 3*** hotel, although hostel is always the alternative.

If you take train/bus between cities, then take note of the schedule and if possible book in advance or risk full house! Strongly suggests taking AVE train for speed, though about 5x more ex than bus but worth it. U'll get to see scenery u'll remember for a long time to come.

Also, I think if you shoot, it's better to leave ur tripod @ home. U won't want unsolicited attention.

And finally if travelling alone, I recommend grabbing a lonely planet guide book and take care.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

700 pics? You mean digital pics or conventional film?
    That's 20 rolls of 36-exposure films, man you got to be kidding. You have broken my record of around 10 to 12 rolls of films for 2 weeks in Spain!
    Last edited by jasphotography; 21st September 2002 at 11:36 PM.

700 pics? You mean digital pics or conventional film?
    That's 20 rolls of 36-exposure films, man you got to be kidding. You have broke my record of around 10 to 12 rolls of films for 2 weeks in Spain!
    Digital. 602Z w 1GB IBM Microdrive. Excluding film.

Default Camera type?

Hi Jeff, mind you share with us what camera model you using?

I think Madrid is much safer than Bacelona. In granada, I was conned 4 bucks for a strand of leave. Just ignore any person who approach u w/o any apparent reason.

Do keep ur wallet in ur front pocket instead of in the back pocket. U'll notice everyone does it this way. Anyway, most folks there are very friendly, although they can speak very little English. Do pick up some simple Spanish for convenience.

Travelling in Spain is pretty cheap. Bus ~ 0.85Euro. Cab almost comparable to Singapore w 3 bucks surcharge to airport.

If u want decent living, get a least a 3*** hotel, although hostel is always the alternative.

If you take train/bus between cities, then take note of the schedule and if possible book in advance or risk full house! Strongly suggests taking AVE train for speed, though about 5x more ex than bus but worth it. U'll get to see scenery u'll remember for a long time to come.

Also, I think if you shoot, it's better to leave ur tripod @ home. U won't want unsolicited attention.

And finally if travelling alone, I recommend grabbing a lonely planet guide book and take care.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
    NEVER leave your camera equipment unattended, even in your own hotel room! Bring your passport and camera with you at all time! This is my ONLY advice if you travel around Europe!

I once had my room 'searched' in Amsterdam and 'lost' a plastic bag full of 8 exposed films which I safely kept in my luggage bag.

The thing is when you left the hotel in Europe for outing, you got to hand the key in to the lobby where the receptionist will hang to the key box together with all other keys, accessible and within easy reach of unauthorised hands.

My room key was nowhere to be found but after some search/panicky/confrontation, the hotel boss told me that one of his cleaners found my bag of films in the communal toilet dustbin!

Digital. 602Z w 1GB IBM Microdrive. Excluding film.
    ok, so what is the average size (memory size) per image stored in your 1GB Microdrive?

Default Re: Camera type?

Originally posted by jimtong
    Hi Jeff, mind you share with us what camera model you using?
    As mentioned Fujifilm S602Z, w vivitar 285HV flash, 0.79x wide angle.

Jeff

ok, so what is the average size (memory size) per image stored in your 1GB Microdrive?
    About 1.2MB, 3 MP fine settings.

Thanks for the tips. Was told by people to avoid the cab around Spain or Europe in general.

Also heard that many stores and hostels (Europe in general) will close during the week before Christmas ?

Originally posted by Acieed

Thanks for the tips. Was told by people to avoid the cab around Spain or Europe in general.

Also heard that many stores and hostels (Europe in general) will close during the week before Christmas ?

Their bus and tube or so called MRT should be good enough to get you around in Europe. But, most of the time, I walked as you get to see more things. Taxi are more expensive and futhermore, you don't get to hail them, or as easily, on the street. They practise advance-booking.

As for shops/hostels closing during the week before Christmas??? In fact, the 1st or 2nd week before X'mas, European cities are bustling, just like Chinese new year in Asian countries.

Some shops, depends, will close few days earlier before X'mas.
    Public transport like the bus or tram or MRT, depends again on cities/countries, normally will operate half-day on X'mas eve. Major transport such as their domestic/international train still operate during X'mas eve or even X'mas as most people are getting back home from all over the world/cities during this rush period...

But, you have to double confirm... as far as I know, UK train don't operate from 25th to 27th December!!! So, don't get yourself stranded!