Thread: Mid Autumn Festival.......Timing of Fireworks...

Default Mid Autumn Festival.......Timing of Fireworks...

Fireworks today for the Mid-Autumn ,

From the roof top of fullerton at 9.30pm (21 Sept 02) tonight.
    Information obtained front the "Voices of Central Singapore Magazine".

Also going on is the lantern festival carnival at Cavenagh Bridge.

Possible location for photoshoot -
    Close up - Singapore river area.
    Long Wide Angle - From the Esplanade area.
    For the Merlion Photography Competition - Merlion

P/S: Extra Info - Esplanade will be open to public on 3rd November 2002 - Can tour in and outside of the place

Regards,
    Sulhan

just to add that there's a Mexican festival thingie going on in Chijmes. might be good for "filling" in the time gap between dinner and the fireworks.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

slightly OT...
    got a qns on setting exposure for fireworks metering...
    how do u get to predetermine the exposure (if u're not gonna to include any background in the pic) prior to the works?
    suppose i choose f8, do i really have to wait for the first burst and quickly meter off and hope for the best with a few bracket variations...like in a case of hit and run. or can i juz meter off a building near the fireworks and then recompose at the sky?
    heh i know some of u's gonna advice me to include something in to make the scene look interesting but i juz wanna know.

Originally posted by Mystix
    slightly OT...
    got a qns on setting exposure for fireworks metering...
    how do u get to predetermine the exposure (if u're not gonna to include any background in the pic) prior to the works?
    suppose i choose f8, do i really have to wait for the first burst and quickly meter off and hope for the best with a few bracket variations...like in a case of hit and run. or can i juz meter off a building near the fireworks and then recompose at the sky?
    heh i know some of u's gonna advice me to include something in to make the scene look interesting but i juz wanna know.

Check out Jed's Firework Tips

ermm juz did that but i still dun catch on

Default ....bulb mode...

Well....

Since you would be using bulb mode or 5 to 10secs of exposure.....(depend on your film)....why not just set your camera to a fixed f/stop say like a f8 f11 or f16. Metering in this case may be a little hard - therefore its better off done in manual mode. No 2 fireworks are the same and god knows what light intensity would it be on subsequent firework. (use a ISO 100 or slower for bette color saturation)- tooo wide an aperture may cause burning out of the fireworks streak.

Therefore, if you are trying to frame only on the fireworks (say using zoom lens) you may just set it to infinity focus and then focus back a little (turn the lens ring) - keep it there and then with the camera on tripod - use a cable release to trip the shutter and close it according to you preference.

SOme personal tips

regards,
    Sulhan