Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Studying in Fast Food Outlets and Cafes

Default Re: Studying in Fast Food Outlets and Cafes

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
    Bro, it is not whether I am ok or not. If somebody needs to consume his meal for 1 hour, can we chase him off? Sometimes, we have to be reasonable.

As for what you said about studying for 1-2 hours, yes, it may seem alright but in reality, how many of them really study for just 1-2 hours and then pack up?
    I don't know if you get my point. Your point is that people are taking too long to sit on the seat and deprive others of a seat... In its essence, no? Nothing to do with them being students and studying and not eating? If people finish the meals and are not eating and hog the seat and talk, how is that different from a student sitting there and studying? The only thing I could think of was the duration. But if duration is the crux of the issue, then does it mean the students are entitled to sit there for 1-2 hours and pack up?

If that is the case, then what is the correct duration that one has "bought" with their drink? If I buy 1 ice cream every 30 minutes, does it mean that I'm more entitled to sit there compared to a person who has bought 1 ice cream for 8 hours? If I bought a Big Mac meal upsized, does it mean I win more minutes in the establishment?

Where do you draw the lines? Who decides? You? McDonald's?
    Last edited by edutilos-; 5th February 2014 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Where do you draw the lines? Who decides? You? McDonald's?
    We believe in the rule of law. The highest court of our land will decide such matters.

Maybe those studying in fast food joints are not the top scholars. They may be the lousier students who get bad grades.
    The fast food joint is not conducive to studying although it is airconditioned. There is too much distraction all around. Babies crying, food smells, raucous laughter by groupies. The students I see at fast food joints are those who want to hang out with their kakis.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Maybe those studying in fast food joints are not the top scholars. They may be the lousier students who get bad grades.
    To encourage top schloars in fast food outlets maybe we should have McDonald Top Student Prize, Starbucks Top Scholar Award, Coffee Bean High Achiever, Hungry Jack's Best Student Prize etc.
    Last edited by Sion; 5th February 2014 at 12:51 AM.

I don't see the point of studying in restaurants.

You smell the food, the drinks.. Then get tempted to eat more and drink more.

Afterwards, not only are you poorer, you've put on weight.

Now you have to spend money for a gym membership to workout, else others think that you don't (you have to be seen at the gym to have been considered to have been working out)

Now you spend more time at the gym than studying. And when the exams come, back you go to the fast food joints and cafes to study because at home, you just don't feel connected to society...

What a vicious cycle!

Quote Originally Posted by d2xpeter View Post
    Well, I don't call people "sexist pig", or use words such "dud clubs" or something like that. LOL
    You are a sexist pig??? Report SPCA....
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    house in HK even smaller. But I do not see students studying in fast food joints...
    In HK.... you either study or you work.... or you join the "trade".....

I am sure parents will not want their kids to be at Mac... and get enlisted to the "Trade"....

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Motobike has one headlights auntie has two.
    Double head light motor....

You have this, and I bet Kei like to ride you too.... opps... I meant, Ride your bike...

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoon View Post

You are a sexist pig??? Report SPCA....
    it would be an insult to pigs

Quote Originally Posted by richiemccaw1 View Post
    LOL no la. Not so jialat. But good as a harmless date venue or reason/excuse to continue asking them out.
    I think it is a cheap and good place to go for group studies... and pick a flower... whether you like rose, carnation, and / or orchid... and hit it before the Alpha Male Buaya comes!!!

to each individual... i am one of these people who studies at a nearby grad from sec sch all the way to post grad. Not to show ppl I am study (who cares) but it is kinda convenient as I can get a drink or apple pie easily compared to a library.

I am the kind who cannot study when it is too quiet. Neighbourhood mac is alright. Usually I don't study for more than 1.5 hrs.
    There was this incident whereby the mac attracted many ppl to study until the manager has to chase ppl away. However from that on the mac business has dropped as alot of students boycott theac even when they are not going to study.

Nothing wrong with the activity of studying there. Just like why can't people read a book or newspaper or elderly just sit there and stone for a couple of hours.

It is more of being considerate and let the incoming customers have a place to eat should the need arise. Pinpointing at students studying there is kinda biased to them as they are not the only ones hogging to seats. I rather students go there study than punksters to go there have fun and make lots of noise.

How about uncles going there watch soccer but not buying anything?

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    it would be an insult to pigs
    Thought you insult pigs too???

Just enjoy the pigs... I like mine roasted, and BBQ... lol...

I like mine roasted, and BBQ... lol...
    Come to think of it, I haven't had pig's tail soup for quite some time.
    [This space is available for rent]

Quote Originally Posted by justme77 View Post
    Come to think of it, I haven't had pig's tail soup for quite some time.
    Quick, go and enjoy your pig tail soup!!! I'm hungry now too... all this talk of food...

Quick, go and enjoy your pig tail soup!!! I'm hungry now too... all this talk of food...
    Probably after the CNY right now, too much CNY food waiting for me. Wouldn't it be good if one day we can rent a stomach so that we can eat continuously

Wouldn't it be good if one day we can rent a stomach so that we can eat continuously
    The Romans did it another way. They ate, then forced themselves to vomit & carried on eating afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    The Romans did it another way. They ate, then forced themselves to vomit & carried on eating afterwards.
    I don't like the feeling/idea of having to regurgitate out the food. The after-taste of it is quite bad and the taste is way way different from how it tasted before it went in.

hmm... i was hitting Starbucks & Coffee Bean for studies from sec sch all the way till the masters and was never shoo-ed away. In fact i started getting freebies (guinea pig maybe) from the staff once and then.

My home was never really conducive for studying and the library was too too quiet and restrictive for me.

the crux of the matter is all about not feeling entitled to hogging the seat for the whole day and getting out when it starts to get crowded.

I was never not ok when anyone approached me asking if he/she could share the table and that I generally went during the off-peak hours where the place wouldn't be fully occupied anyway. Students at the least do buy something. In comparison, there are many others who hog seats at coffeeshops/food courts without even buying a single item.

and... honestly, if the potential patron ever was nice enough to ask, I'm sure most students will give way. One thing about Singaporeans is that we are somehow always so afraid to ask.
    Last edited by keithwee; 5th February 2014 at 09:53 PM.

There are always different types of people studying at fast food restaurant /Cafe.

One type is the auto leave type. I have seen students studying and when the crowd is getting heavy, they leave to give up their seats. This type is hard to find.

Most will just continue their study and chit chatting.

The worst types are those inside the mall where they just left their bags on the chairs and books on the table and they are no where to be seen. The whole cafe is already full and no seat left which I believe the owners of the bags and books has gone shopping.
    GM1,GX7,EPL5,GH2,GX1,EPM1 | 7.5FE | 7-14 | 12-35 | 35-100 | 20 | 14-42(x3)| 45 f2.8 | 45-200

Probably after the CNY right now, too much CNY food waiting for me. Wouldn't it be good if one day we can rent a stomach so that we can eat continuously
    Eh... our stomach is pretty small... I actually advocate to eat less portions but more meals... This is better for our system....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast