Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lens question newbie here in need of some help

The 82mm 1.2 II is expensive and a heavy lens to carry around. On a 500D, the setup would be front heavy. Also 85mm on a cropped body would be tight street photography. I agree with Catchlights that a 50mm or 35mm on FF would be better. I also found that the autofocusing system of the 85mm 1.2 to be frustratingly slow for Canon lenses. You may also want to consider using Neutral Density (ND) when shooting at 1.2 for outdoor shots. Without ND, I found himself having to stop down (1.8 or 2.8 or 4) to get better exposure (also less softer effects) albeit loosing some bokeh.

Default Re: lens question newbie here in need of some help

Quote Originally Posted by Mohd Zamri View Post
    Hi guys im new here and fairly new to photography
    I own a canon 500D camera and I love portraiture.

Currently own a 50mm f1.8 lens
    And I found it quite limited for me to venture deeper into portraiture. Intending to invest on a 85mm lens

So my question is

There is 2 types im guessig mainly the 85mm f1.8 and the 85mm f1.2
    The price difference is really alot. Im intending to invest on the 85mm f1.2 but is my camera compatible to use the 85mm f1.2? Is it only for
    Full frame camera? Or Is the 85mm 1.8 good enuf? Assuming I can now take photo slightly further away from
    My subject den Using my 50mm which almost might have the same picture quality.

Need some help and suggestions. Thanks

If you are fairly new to photography, it is generally not a good idea to go "all-in" on an expensive lens like 85/1.2.

(1) the lens is heavy/bulky and not that easy to use at f1.2
    (2) your money can give you better mileage elsewhere, like getting other stuff (books, reflectors, flash, or a better zoom lens to help you explore your photography interest further). Need to understand where your current "weak link" is and invest your time and $ accordingly. Most likely it is not your 50/1.8 at this stage.
    (3) for your camera body, 50mm is generally preferred by people for potrait. 85mm could be a little long. But preferrence can differ betw people.

I would say, play around with your current tools for the next few months more, and analyse the gap between the pics you took and the ideal ones you wish you had taken. Then plan from there where to focus your resources on. Once you zero in on your focus area (eg to get a 85mm), the friends here can give you more specific advice to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohd Zamri View Post
    Hi guys im new here and fairly new to photography
    I own a canon 500D camera and I love portraiture.

Currently own a 50mm f1.8 lens
    And I found it quite limited for me to venture deeper into portraiture. Intending to invest on a 85mm lens

So my question is

There is 2 types im guessig mainly the 85mm f1.8 and the 85mm f1.2
    The price difference is really alot. Im intending to invest on the 85mm f1.2 but is my camera compatible to use the 85mm f1.2? Is it only for
    Full frame camera? Or Is the 85mm 1.8 good enuf? Assuming I can now take photo slightly further away from
    My subject den Using my 50mm which almost might have the same picture quality.

Need some help and suggestions. Thanks
    How about using a zoom lens?
    ==================================================
    Canon 5DMK3 |Fujifilm X-E2, X-T1|

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12