Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 75

Thread: Want to scoot off also cannot.

  1. #21

    Default

    1. For starters, buy travel insurance to cover yourself against any loss.

    2. I would prefer to have a safe flight handled by an alert and capable pilot and crew.

    - so if there is a fog, I would wait it out.

    - if the crew needs to be switched, yes, please have a fresh crew onboard.

    Unless you have a million dollar deal or a loved one (whom you may not see any longer) waiting on the other side, I do not see the need to risk hundreds of lives for personal convenience. If your case falls on the exception, please charter your own plane with a pilot who is willing to fly nearly blind. I certainly would not do so.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  2. #22
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Want to scoot off also cannot.

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Really? I wonder what was the rationale. Was it a case where it didn't warrant heli-evacuation and other cheaper methods would have been more reasonable? That said, of course, if you are there, you won't be thinking of whether you can claim travel insurance..
    There is some escape clause if the traveler is involved in some "risky" or "life threatening" activity from the get-go. Many people do not think of claiming travel insurance till after the fact when something bad happens.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,197

    Default Re: Want to scoot off also cannot.

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Really? I wonder what was the rationale. Was it a case where it didn't warrant heli-evacuation and other cheaper methods would have been more reasonable? That said, of course, if you are there, you won't be thinking of whether you can claim travel insurance..
    General travel insurance do not cover extreme sports, and this is including scuba diving, skiing, trekking in high altitude regions, etc.
    Last edited by ManWearPants; 3rd February 2014 at 06:15 PM.

  4. #24
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Want to scoot off also cannot.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    Unless you have a million dollar deal or a loved one (whom you may not see any longer) waiting on the other side, I do not see the need to risk hundreds of lives for personal convenience. If your case falls on the exception, please charter your own plane with a pilot who is willing to fly nearly blind. I certainly would not do so.
    If it means so much, or worth so much, I would not hesitate to buy a ticket on the spot for another flight than wait on the airline to re-assign.

  5. #25
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Want to scoot off also cannot.

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    There is some escape clause if the traveler is involved in some "risky" or "life threatening" activity from the get-go. Many people do not think of claiming travel insurance till after the fact when something bad happens.
    Oh yes... Generic travel insurance doesn't cover more hardcore forms of mountaineering! How could I forget about that..

  6. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post

    If it means so much, or worth so much, I would not hesitate to buy a ticket on the spot for another flight than wait on the airline to re-assign.
    That's my point. If something is truly important to you, go get another ticket. I don't see why passengers expect so much from a Low Cost Carrier - you bought a cheap ticket for a seat in a low cost carrier, the carrier decides not to fly for certain reasons. Too bad.

    Same thinking with SMRT. I got so irritated with the train, I now just take the taxi everyday, simply because time and space spent commuting is important enough for me to spend more.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  7. #27
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Want to scoot off also cannot.

    Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    General travel insurance do not cover extreme sports, and this is including scuba diving, skiing, trekking in high altitude regions, etc.
    +1 always read the fineprint. Different companies different policies will differ in their coverage.

    From
    https://www.acetravelinsurance.com.s...not-covered%3F

    This Policy does not cover, and the Company will not in any event be liable to pay any Benefits or indemnify the Insured Person in respect of, any loss which is, directly or indirectly, caused by, a consequence of, arises in connection with or is contributed to by any of the following:


    The Insured Person participating in:-

    Extreme Sports and Sporting Activities;
    any professional competitions or sports in which the Insured Person receives remunerations, sponsorships or any forms of financial rewards;
    racing other than on foot (except for the ultra-marathons, biathlons and triathlons which are excluded);
    Expeditions;
    off-piste skiing;
    Private white water rafting grade 4 and above;
    Mountaineering;
    trekking (including mounting trekking trekking) above 3000 meters;
    Scuba diving unless the Insured Person holds a PADI certification (or similar recognised qualification) or when diving with a qualified instructor. In these situations the maximum depth that this Policy covers is as specified under the Insured Person PADI certification (or similar recognised qualification) but no deeper than thirty (30) meters and the Insured Person must not be diving alone.

  8. #28
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: Want to scoot off also cannot.



    What she crying for?
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,197

    Default Re: Want to scoot off also cannot.

    Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    [IMG]
    What she crying for?
    She can't make it in time to be included in my 1 out of 10k list of women.

  10. #30
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Want to scoot off also cannot.

    Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post


    What she crying for?
    She said she has not seen her dad for a couple of years, and the delay ruined her birthday surprise for her dad... If I am her, I would have just bought another ticket out the first thing the airport reopens.

  11. #31

    Default Re: Want to scoot off also cannot.

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    She said she has not seen her dad for a couple of years, and the delay ruined her birthday surprise for her dad... If I am her, I would have just bought another ticket out the first thing the airport reopens.
    if she loves her dad so much, she will go back every year, or quarterly..
    Objection !!!

  12. #32

    Default Re: Want to scoot off also cannot.

    Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    if she loves her dad so much, she will go back every year, or quarterly..
    maybe she has been held captive by the guy on her right

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,197

    Default Re: Want to scoot off also cannot.

    ok. Back to the original issue. So if flight is delayed by 16 hours. At which point of the 16 hours will you decide that you will go book a flight on another airline.

    Bear in mind this is a CNY eve 4am flight. You probably want to be home before 5pm for reunion dinner. You know for sure you will get something out from insurance 6 hours after delay, ie at 10am. However, at 9 am (5hours) you are being ushered onto plane thinking it will take off. You are continued to be held in plane until 10am. From Taoyuan to Singapore is probably a 4-5 hour flight. I would think most decisions can be made between 10am - 12pm, providing there is flight and seat available. A quick check shows SQ and Silkair also ply the route. However, I know this is a hot route and seats may not be readily available even if one is willing to pay. I wonder if these airline can step in to help the stranded Scoot passengers. Alternatively is to take Thai, Malaysia, Cathay and have a stop-over at the respective countries. Such flights may take 7-8 hours and cost more for shorter waiting duration connecting flights. And they will also face the seat shortage due to festive period.

    I still think the crew could have been despatched earlier. I am curios what is the modus operandi for such incidents. Wait for fog to clear up before despatching crew or despatch crew based on weather forecast? And if it is a long haul flight, how would they handle it? Afterall, despatching a crew on a more than 8 hours flight is as good as not despatching one.
    Last edited by ManWearPants; 4th February 2014 at 10:02 AM.

  14. #34
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Want to scoot off also cannot.

    Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    ok. Back to the original issue. So if flight is delayed by 16 hours. At which point of the 16 hours will you decide that you will go book a flight on another airline.

    Bear in mind this is a CNY eve 4am flight. You probably want to be home before 5pm for reunion dinner. You know for sure you will get something out from insurance 6 hours after delay, ie at 10am. However, at 9 am (5hours) you are being ushered onto plane thinking it will take off. You are continued to be held in plane until 10am. From Taoyuan to Singapore is probably a 4-5 hour flight. I would think most decisions can be made between 10am - 12pm, providing there is flight and seat available. A quick check shows SQ and Silkair also ply the route. However, I know this is a hot route and seats may not be readily available even if one is willing to pay. I wonder if these airline can step in to help the stranded Scoot passengers. Alternatively is to take Thai, Malaysia, Cathay and have a stop-over at the respective countries. Such flights may take 7-8 hours and cost more for shorter waiting duration connecting flights. And they will also face the seat shortage due to festive period.

    I still think the crew could have been despatched earlier. I am curios what is the modus operandi for such incidents. Wait for fog to clear up before despatching crew or despatch crew based on weather forecast? And if it is a long haul flight, how would they handle it? Afterall, despatching a crew on a more than 8 hours flight is as good as not despatching one.
    If I was in that situation, I would do whatever I can to get back. The key is in doing the best you can if it really matters to you to get back early. The funny thing is whey people refuses to get off the plane even when they were told it was not going to fly. Even if they sit in the plane, nothing is going to change...

  15. #35
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: Want to scoot off also cannot.

    Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    I still think the crew could have been despatched earlier. I am curios what is the modus operandi for such incidents. Wait for fog to clear up before despatching crew or despatch crew based on weather forecast? And if it is a long haul flight, how would they handle it? Afterall, despatching a crew on a more than 8 hours flight is as good as not despatching one.
    Well, if the airport is closed due to fog, how would you dispatch a crew to that location? Obviously, flying in would not be an option. Being a budget airline they won't book half the nearby hotel for some standby crew just in case and with only a few flights per day (haven't checked in detail) there is little space to shuffle crews between flights.
    Even if you knew the procedures and whatnot, how would it help?

    Secondly: why do people use budget airlines? Either to save money or because they cannot afford the tickets of the big carriers. In the latter case, they would likely not being able to afford a new ticket, regardless whether they can claim it and get the money back some weeks later. What matters is the money they have at hands in this situation. Maybe you want to think through the situation from that angle before further commenting?
    I'd rather spend a day in some funky airport than in an airplane doing some stunts in fog.
    Last edited by Octarine; 4th February 2014 at 02:40 PM.
    EOS

  16. #36

    Default Re: Want to scoot off also cannot.

    Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    I still think the crew could have been despatched earlier. I am curios what is the modus operandi for such incidents. Wait for fog to clear up before despatching crew or despatch crew based on weather forecast? And if it is a long haul flight, how would they handle it? Afterall, despatching a crew on a more than 8 hours flight is as good as not despatching one.
    There's no local despatch crew. Crew is from Singapore. How on earth would despatching a crew from Singapore help?

    Also, there are union/federal regulations and IATA guidelines on crew service length. Airlines have to follow those.

  17. #37

    Default Re: Want to scoot off also cannot.

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    If I was in that situation, I would do whatever I can to get back. The key is in doing the best you can if it really matters to you to get back early. The funny thing is whey people refuses to get off the plane even when they were told it was not going to fly. Even if they sit in the plane, nothing is going to change...
    The fellas who refused to get off are just bloody stupid. Can't fly but refuse to get off. In the US a few years ago, some passengers couldn't get off a JetBlue aircraft in the middle of a snow storm for more than 12 damn hours. These guys on the Scoot aircraft were allowed to leave but refuse to leave.

    Some Singaporeans are just too stupid and pampered in my opinion.
    Last edited by NazgulKing; 4th February 2014 at 03:56 PM.

  18. #38

    Default Re: Want to scoot off also cannot.

    Quote Originally Posted by NazgulKing View Post
    The fellas who refused to get off are just bloody stupid. Can't fly but refuse to get off. In the US a few years ago, some passengers couldn't get off a JetBlue aircraft in the middle of a snow storm for more than 12 damn hours. These guys on the Scoot aircraft were allowed to leave but refuse to leave.

    Some Singaporeans are just too stupid and pampered in my opinion.
    just wondering, can airport security police arrest passengers who refuse to leave the plane? is there a law in aviation safety regarding such cases?

  19. #39

    Default

    Yes they can be arrested by the airport security/police
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

  20. #40
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: Want to scoot off also cannot.

    Quote Originally Posted by Exposure View Post
    just wondering, can airport security police arrest passengers who refuse to leave the plane? is there a law in aviation safety regarding such cases?
    The captain is the legal authority on board. It's up to him to decide (based on regulations) whether arrest is required for the safety of airplane, crew and other passenger.
    EOS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •