Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35

Thread: New to flash photography

  1. #21
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: New to flash photography

    For TTL flash, I personally would buy original equipment branded ones. It is worth every cent.

  2. #22
    Senior Member alwaysjerricky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    +65
    Posts
    2,016

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    For TTL flash, I personally would buy original equipment branded ones. It is worth every cent.
    Why? Is it because the TTL metering is more accurate?

  3. #23
    Member voice123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    526

    Default Re: New to flash photography

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    For TTL flash, I personally would buy original equipment branded ones. It is worth every cent.
    ttl means that the power of the flash will be adjusted to the ambient when u shoot ?

  4. #24
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: New to flash photography

    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysjerricky View Post
    Why? Is it because the TTL metering is more accurate?
    Not just that. More reliable, color balance more stable, work better, etc.
    Esp for Nikon ones.

  5. #25

    Default Re: New to flash photography

    Quote Originally Posted by one eye jack View Post
    YN460-II is full manual flash no ttl.It only has single pin on hotshoe.

    http://speedlights.net/2010/06/01/yo...-vs-yn-460-ii/



    Please note that youngnu reversed engineered flash without blessing of canon or Nikon.
    You can't expect they support every model and expect to pay peanuts.For your peace of mind
    then pay canon what it wants.
    my bad 460-2 it's fully manual. the ettl is 465-2 which is the other flash I have in my bag
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

  6. #26

    Default Re: New to flash photography

    Quote Originally Posted by voice123 View Post
    ttl means that the power of the flash will be adjusted to the ambient when u shoot ?
    Not really... Flash metering and exposure metering are 2 different systems in the camera (it took me a while to get this concept heh...)

    Exposure metering will calculate the required exposure in ambient light
    TTL flash metering will calculate the power of the flash needed on the subject by firing some pre-flashes before the actual flash is fired

  7. #27
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: New to flash photography

    Quote Originally Posted by voice123 View Post
    ttl means that the power of the flash will be adjusted to the ambient when u shoot ?
    Quote Originally Posted by thoongeng View Post
    Not really... Flash metering and exposure metering are 2 different systems in the camera (it took me a while to get this concept heh...)

    Exposure metering will calculate the required exposure in ambient light
    TTL flash metering will calculate the power of the flash needed on the subject by firing some pre-flashes before the actual flash is fired
    TTL means through the lens.

    in the early days (70's -80's) the flash providing auto power output via using the light sensor on the flash to read the flash lights reflected back from the subjects. so it call auto thyristor flash.

    and later days (90's) the camera able to read the flash lights reflected back from the subjects on the film panel and give instant feedback to the flash, so it call TTL flash.

    when enter digital era, the camera unable to read the flash lights reflected back from the subjects on the camera sensor and capture the images at the same time, so has to fire pre-flash to provide feedback to the flash, so it call iTTL or eTTL flash.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  8. #28
    Member voice123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    526

    Default Re: New to flash photography

    1 YN568 can buy 2YN560III should i get 2 or 1 ?

  9. #29

    Default Re: New to flash photography

    Quote Originally Posted by voice123 View Post
    1 YN568 can buy 2YN560III should i get 2 or 1 ?
    voice123



    Re: New to flash photography
    for general street use in the night / indoor lowlight condition.
    one reason is the built in flash is not strong enough and doesnt have much control on it.

    TS please do your research and you have not read or understand all posts in your thread.You don't seem to know the difference between the two models.YN568 III is an auto exposure ttl flash whereas YN560 III is a full manual flash means it does not determine or calculate how much light is needed for a picture/scene but fires at selected output power.You do the "brain" work.

    So YN568 III does all the work for you. Well not all,you select aperture and flash sync speed.

    YN568 III is what most people would choose to make their life easier.From your stated flash usage this flash will adequately meet most of your needs that is if you know how to take advantage of such a flash.

    Do take note YN568 III has a problem when doing bounce flash using evaluative mode (under exposure).
    Work around is to use average mode.It does fine when firing direct.See users comments below:

    http://flashhavoc.com/yongnuo-yn-568ex-ii-canon/

    If you have more money you can get YN560 III with built in radio/wireless trigger and use as slave
    but you will need a radio transmitter for your master flash (Eg. YN568 III).This will give you more light control for a strobist that is. Do read up on flash techniques as even bounce flash has too much light output( selecting output power). You can also use 568 as manual also.

    http://flashhavoc.com/yongnuo-yn-560-iii-review/
    Last edited by one eye jack; 2nd February 2014 at 03:45 AM.

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: New to flash photography

    Hi voice, why not consider a second hand flash before diving into getting a real good and new one? Or u can consider a YONGNUO TTL Speedlite YN-565EX? It's not the latest but it's not that expensive.

  11. #31
    Senior Member alwaysjerricky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    +65
    Posts
    2,016

    Default

    There's one 568ex on sale now at BnS for 130. Maybe consider getting it?

  12. #32

    Default Re: New to flash photography

    more the merrier. buy then use strobist methods
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

  13. #33

    Default Re: New to flash photography

    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysjerricky View Post
    There's one 568ex on sale now at BnS for 130. Maybe consider getting it?
    Don't know if it's a typo error by seller but 568EX (older model) is at MK2 now with improvements.
    Last edited by one eye jack; 2nd February 2014 at 04:42 PM.

  14. #34
    Senior Member alwaysjerricky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    +65
    Posts
    2,016

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by one eye jack View Post
    Don't know if it's a typo error by seller but 568EX (older model) is at MK2 now with improvements.
    Yeah probably the Mark ii version. Anyway, fast sold already! Did TS purchase it?

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,614

    Default Re: New to flash photography

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    TTL means through the lens.

    in the early days (70's -80's) the flash providing auto power output via using the light sensor on the flash to read the flash lights reflected back from the subjects. so it call auto thyristor flash.

    and later days (90's) the camera able to read the flash lights reflected back from the subjects on the film panel and give instant feedback to the flash, so it call TTL flash.

    when enter digital era, the camera unable to read the flash lights reflected back from the subjects on the camera sensor and capture the images at the same time, so has to fire pre-flash to provide feedback to the flash, so it call iTTL or eTTL flash.

    Good analysis bro
    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •