Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: New to flash photography

  1. #1
    Member voice123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    526

    Default New to flash photography

    Which first flash i should get for canon 600d
    low price n good de.

    I am looking at Yongnuo , but which model is good for me to start with

  2. #2
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: New to flash photography

    Yongnuo flash is so cheap already, just buy the top of the line one lar.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  3. #3
    Member voice123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    526

    Default Re: New to flash photography

    top of the line as in best 1?
    cost ? n model ?

  4. #4
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default

    Top of Line = best one lar...

    I think the latest one in the market is yn 568ex mk ii.

    There is another model (yn600ex rt) in the making.... but the release date is not confirmed.

    I would suggest doing abit of research for the cost yourself.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  5. #5

    Default Re: New to flash photography

    YN 460-ii has got ettl flash metering. YN 565-ii has got all the bells and whistles for $60 more.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

  6. #6
    Senior Member richiemccaw1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,101

    Default

    Just found out that for some reason YN flashes dont support the 5Dc and 1D cameras? Surprising and a bit disappointing.

  7. #7
    Senior Member alwaysjerricky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    +65
    Posts
    2,016

    Default

    YN 565/YN 568 all so cheap. One canon flash = 2 YN flashes

  8. #8

    Default Re: New to flash photography

    Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    YN 460-ii has got ettl flash metering. YN 565-ii has got all the bells and whistles for $60 more.
    YN460-II is full manual flash no ttl.It only has single pin on hotshoe.

    http://speedlights.net/2010/06/01/yo...-vs-yn-460-ii/

    By richiemccaw1 :
    Just found out that for some reason YN flashes don't support the 5Dc and 1D cameras? Surprising and a bit disappointing.
    Please note that youngnu reversed engineered flash without blessing of canon or Nikon.
    You can't expect they support every model and expect to pay peanuts.For your peace of mind
    then pay canon what it wants.
    Last edited by one eye jack; 1st February 2014 at 12:54 PM.

  9. #9

    Default

    If you need ettl then go for 568 mk1 or 2. If u are strobing using manual, 560 mk2/3 will do. 460 mk2 is good also but for the extra 20 or 30 more, I rather go for the 560 mk2 or 3.

  10. #10
    Senior Member richiemccaw1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by one eye jack View Post

    YN460-II is full manual flash no ttl.It only has single pin on hotshoe.

    http://speedlights.net/2010/06/01/yo...-vs-yn-460-ii/

    Please note that youngnu reversed engineered flash without blessing of canon or Nikon.
    You can't expect they support every model and expect to pay peanuts.For your peace of mind
    then pay canon what it wants.
    Yeah man. Absolutely agree with this. I'd be happy to get a OEM flash if the third party ones dont meet my needs.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Yongnuo flash is so cheap already, just buy the top of the line one lar.
    Gotta love this recommendation!

    I'm always so amused when people are looking for items that are cheaper than cheap but want it to be better than good.

    If I were looking for a flash unit from Yongnuo, I'd get their best model.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post

    Gotta love this recommendation!

    I'm always so amused when people are looking for items that are cheaper than cheap but want it to be better than good.

    If I were looking for a flash unit from Yongnuo, I'd get their best model.
    I see it differently. Nothing wrong with TS' s question. A YN580mk2 may be cheap compared to the Canon or Nikon equivalent. But if TS doesn't need ettl he/she can get two 560mk3 instead of a 580mk2. Also, what is "cheap" to one may not necessarily be so to another.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trd2970 View Post

    I see it differently. Nothing wrong with TS' s question. A YN580mk2 may be cheap compared to the Canon or Nikon equivalent. But if TS doesn't need ettl he/she can get two 560mk3 instead of a 580mk2. Also, what is "cheap" to one may not necessarily be so to another.
    My statement isn't exactly a direct reference to TS's actions or query, although I am very amused at the question of "which Yongnuo to buy?", when they are essentially at rock bottom prices. My definition of rock bottom is anything that a week's work at Macdonald's can buy.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  14. #14
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: New to flash photography

    Quote Originally Posted by trd2970 View Post
    I see it differently. Nothing wrong with TS' s question. A YN580mk2 may be cheap compared to the Canon or Nikon equivalent. But if TS doesn't need ettl he/she can get two 560mk3 instead of a 580mk2. Also, what is "cheap" to one may not necessarily be so to another.
    that depends on what TS want, if he intend to get a flash to do general flash photography, a dedicated flash is more suitable.

    if he wants to do off camera flash photography, a few manual flash units will be more suitable.

    Since he is new to flash photography and didn't mention he want to do strobist style, so my recommendation to him is just go ahead to get the top of the line model.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  15. #15
    Member voice123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    526

    Default Re: New to flash photography

    for general street use in the night / indoor lowlight condition.
    one reason is the built in flash is not strong enough and doesnt have much control on it.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post

    My statement isn't exactly a direct reference to TS's actions or query, although I am very amused at the question of "which Yongnuo to buy?", when they are essentially at rock bottom prices. My definition of rock bottom is anything that a week's work at Macdonald's can buy.
    Even if something is at rock bottom pricing, I guess we can still be selective about which model to get? Just my own perspective.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post

    that depends on what TS want, if he intend to get a flash to do general flash photography, a dedicated flash is more suitable.

    if he wants to do off camera flash photography, a few manual flash units will be more suitable.

    Since he is new to flash photography and didn't mention he want to do strobist style, so my recommendation to him is just go ahead to get the top of the line model.
    Your assumption makes sense.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by voice123 View Post
    for general street use in the night / indoor lowlight condition.
    one reason is the built in flash is not strong enough and doesnt have much control on it.
    So basically, you want a more powerful flash that you have more control of.

    Honestly, I haven't got much experience with Yongnuo at all, but if you wish to have more assistance from the dSLR (TTL metering functions etc.), I'd stick with the higher end models. Or just go for a Canon flash unit.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trd2970 View Post

    Even if something is at rock bottom pricing, I guess we can still be selective about which model to get? Just my own perspective.
    I guess so. Perhaps one may wish to consider the size / weight and other attributes too.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  20. #20
    Member voice123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    526

    Default Re: New to flash photography

    Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    So basically, you want a more powerful flash that you have more control of.

    Honestly, I haven't got much experience with Yongnuo at all, but if you wish to have more assistance from the dSLR (TTL metering functions etc.), I'd stick with the higher end models. Or just go for a Canon flash unit.
    canon flash pricing can buy 1 more news lens leh haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •