Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying FX/DX lens on an APS-C DSLR

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jagged View Post

Allow me to hijack your thread since I am asking a similar question and save the community from another thread:

If FX lenses work on DX format cameras, why should we bother getting DX lenses? Shouldn’t we just get purely FX lenses to hedge against the possible crossover to FX format cameras?
    Is it just because DX lenses are much cheaper than FX lenses? Is there any significant photographic advantage to using DX lenses on a DX format camera?
    Costs, size and weight are the major considerations. And not everyone will move to FF. Many do not.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post

Costs, size and weight are the major considerations. And not everyone will move to FF. Many do not.
    I find myself pining for an APSC system every now and then when I need fast AF but dont want to carry heavier gear around.

Default Re: Buying FX/DX lens on an APS-C DSLR

Quote Originally Posted by fishndicks View Post
    If I have an APS-C DSLR, should I

1) buy lenses which are FX-compatible in case I want to upgrade to a full-frame body in the future

OR

2) buy a cheaper DX format lens, save some $ and probably lost a bit of $ reselling it in the future?
    Quote Originally Posted by fishndicks View Post
    Haha cannot lah bro, I'm still a poor undergrad.

May I propose option 4 - just use what you have now and go out to shoot. Don't think about upgrading until you know the limits of your current set-up. By then you will know if you need full-frame, or maybe medium / large format

APS-C DSLRs nowadays are very capable and can fulfill most needs, saving you in terms of money and weight, unless you have very specific requirements that mandate a full-frame camera

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12