Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying FX/DX lens on an APS-C DSLR

Question Buying FX/DX lens on an APS-C DSLR

If I have an APS-C DSLR, should I

1) buy lenses which are FX-compatible in case I want to upgrade to a full-frame body in the future

OR

2) buy a cheaper DX format lens, save some $ and probably lost a bit of $ reselling it in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by fishndicks View Post

1) buy lenses which are FX-compatible in case I want to upgrade to a full-frame body in the future

OR

2) buy a cheaper DX format lens, save some $ and probably lost a bit of $ reselling it in the future?
    It depends on when you want to change to full frame. If you are looking to upgrade within months, just get the fx lenses.

Else dx lens will be better.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Blog Entries

Default Re: Buying FX/DX lens on an APS-C DSLR

OR

you should do 3.
    Sell your APS-C cam now and get a FF cam with FF lenses.

In the end, the important thing is to think about the images you are making now. Not about resale value or future upgrades. If want to save money. Just get the best now. Will save you all the money and time lost on buying and selling in the future. It is not like FF cams are so much more expensive than APS-C cams nowadays, just slightly more. What is significantly more expensive is FF lenses compared to APS-C lenses. But since you are thinking of going for FF lenses, it means you already crossed the biggest hurdle.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 31st January 2014 at 06:47 PM.

OR

do you have a DX format DSLR in the first place?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Oh, I'm asking this question because I've recently started photography as a hobby and bought an APS-C DSLR like a few weeks back. I probably will upgrade to a full-frame sometime in the future, but not so soon.

So I was wondering if it would be better to go with option 1 or 2.

Blog Entries

Oh, I'm asking this question because I've recently started photography as a hobby and bought an APS-C DSLR like a few weeks back. I probably will upgrade to a full-frame sometime in the future, but not so soon.

So I was wondering if it would be better to go with option 1 or 2.
    Just get a FF cam la. The difference in pricing is not that much compared to a APS-C camera.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Just get a FF cam la. The difference in pricing is not that much compared to a APS-C camera.
    Haha cannot lah bro, I'm still a poor undergrad.

Blog Entries

Haha cannot lah bro, I'm still a poor undergrad.
    Nowadays students very good life la.

Back in my days I had to work so I can eat...

Just pass on some luxuries like eating out or going out for a few weeks, I am sure you will save enough to get a FF cam. Especially with the prices now. I sold my minty D700 + batt grip with $300 worth of freebie accessories for slightly over $1.6k only.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 31st January 2014 at 07:00 PM.

Since your plans to move to FF in the future are vague, work out your current budget and get what you need and can afford now. I'd imagine you'd get more bang for your buck with APS-C lenses for now.

I have a DX camera but other than the kit lens that came with the camera, all my other lenses are FF. The reasons for buying FF glasses are (1) maximising the sweet spots and (2) am FF-ready if I do decide to cross over. As FF lenses do not come cheap and I am only shooting for recreation, I bought only f4 glasses, except for the 35-70 mm f2.8. The only disadvantage is that my UWA lens becomes a WA on a DX body. But my 70-200 glass gives me 300mm!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy08 View Post
    I have a DX camera but other than the kit lens that came with the camera, all my other lenses are FF. The reasons for buying FF glasses are (1) maximising the sweet spots and (2) am FF-ready if I do decide to cross over. As FF lenses do not come cheap and I am only shooting for recreation, I bought only f4 glasses, except for the 35-70 mm f2.8. The only disadvantage is that my UWA lens becomes a WA on a DX body. But my 70-200 glass gives me 300mm!
    SO when you move to FF, are you going to sell all your F4 glass to get the F2.8?

That actually makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    SO when you move to FF, are you going to sell all your F4 glass to get the F2.8?
    I don't think need to as (1) using tripod for landscape and (2) not shooting much indoor. Again can increase the ISO to compensate if required as not printing posters.

That actually makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for sharing!
    If on a tight budget, do consider the Nikon 35-70mm f2.8D if you need a mid(FF)/standard(DX) zoom. It focuses fast and is sharp. I understand it's IQ is close to the famed 24-70, which costs 5 times more.

Blog Entries

I don't think need to as (1) using tripod for landscape and (2) not shooting much indoor. Again can increase the ISO to compensate if required as not printing posters.
    That makes a lot of sense.

Blog Entries

If on a tight budget, do consider the Nikon 35-70mm f2.8D if you need a mid(FF)/standard(DX) zoom. It focuses fast and is sharp. I understand it's IQ is close to the famed 24-70, which costs 5 times more.
    35-70 is definitely a gem.

But I think people buy 24-70 for its range as well. I cannot live without the wide angle for a standard zoom. 28-70 is also worth considering.

Allow me to hijack your thread since I am asking a similar question and save the community from another thread:

If FX lenses work on DX format cameras, why should we bother getting DX lenses? Shouldn’t we just get purely FX lenses to hedge against the possible crossover to FX format cameras?
    Is it just because DX lenses are much cheaper than FX lenses? Is there any significant photographic advantage to using DX lenses on a DX format camera?

Quote Originally Posted by Jagged View Post
    Allow me to hijack your thread since I am asking a similar question and save the community from another thread:

If FX lenses work on DX format cameras, why should we bother getting DX lenses? Shouldn’t we just get purely FX lenses to hedge against the possible crossover to FX format cameras?
    Is it just because DX lenses are much cheaper than FX lenses? Is there any significant photographic advantage to using DX lenses on a DX format camera?
    The advantage is if you know you are NEVER going to go FF. You can save on the cost and weight. At least this is for me.

A couple of reasons I can think of:
    1) Lighter and cheaper. I think there aren't many direct equivalents. Only one that comes to mind is current Nikon 35/1.8DX (about $300+) vs upcoming 35/1.8FX (rumoured ~$800)

2) If you crave ultra-wide angles, then there aren't any suitable FX ones that work on a DX camera. There are quite a few DX ones:
    Nikon 10-24
    Canon 10-22
    Tokina 11-16
    etc
    Exploring! :)

Put yourself into manufacturer's shoes,how to get good image quality without having to use full frame lenses and save costs ( also because of crop factor)? It's really an engineering problem of compromises.Crop sensor is smaller
    why use larger image circle of full frame which is harder to achieve good image quality consistently.

With smaller diameter glass it's lighter so motors don't need to be powerful and have less noise.
    In the end it's all about costs to give consumer the best bang for the buck and good for their bottom line.Also save earth's resources.
    Last edited by one eye jack; 6th February 2014 at 11:31 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast