15. canonloverz x 1
    16. canonloverz x1
    18. yklim x 1
    19. vince123123 x 1
    20. icarus x 1
    21. scanman x 1
    22. TMC x 1
    24. EngHong x 1
    25. Nikonsiao x 1 (Pls confirm w/ Nightwolf75)
    27. aimlessfool X 1
    28. smurfman x 1
    29. Nemesis32 X1

Reserve:
    2. yqt x 1 ( 1 more if the price is "right' and a working set )
    3. Luval X1 (if the price is right and the set is working)
    4. coldman x1 (if the price is right and the set is working)
    5. Caussway x 1
    6. tantingchin x1 (if the price is right and the set is working)

AFS 80-200: (7 sets only)
    1. espn x 1
    2. ericp x 1
    3. Physical Graffiti x 1
    4. tao x 1
    5. TMC x 1
    6. aoelof x 1
    7. rebbot x 1

Reserve:
    1. vince123123 x 1
    3. besh
    4. Lightwave
    5. Nemesis32
    6. coldman x1 (if the price is right and the set is working)
    7. tantingchin x1 (if the price is right and the set is working)

AFS 35-70: (8 sets only)
    1. icarus - x1
    2. canonloverz x1
    3. cheesecake x 1
    5. madison x 1

SB28DX: (8 sets only)
    1. tao x 1
    2. scanman x1
    3. e
    4. alechim x 1

SB26: (2 sets only)
    1. ericp x 1

SB28 batt (4 sets only)
    2. ericp x 1

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    morning, folks!

fyi - i was doing housecleaning on my PC yesterday morning when my cable modem died on me. so, couldn't do anything for the whole day. the starhub techie just delivered my new modem. so, finally back online and updating my PC.

for those who couldn't attend the meeting, here's a quick update. for those present, we decided it was a "No Go" becos of the most recent update from geoffp on the condition of the equipment. we calculated, just for the D1s, any bidder will have to spend at least $500 just to buy a new batt and charger (original nikon batt costs ard $100, which btw is out of stock. the charger which is only available from nikon, cost ard $400 new). dat is not including the refurbishment costs, will sykestang conservatively estimated to be ard $300 just to replace the leather coverings. the sensor, which nikon has limited stock as d1 is out of production, cost ard $1000+ just to replace. shutters will cost, est, another $200+ to replace. all in all, we have to spend another $1k+ just to repair any working cameras.

this is not counting the costs of cleaning the lenses. sykestang did a repair once of his AF-s 80-200. the internal elements, to replace, costs more than $1k, not including cleaning and labour.

bearing in the mind the costs involve, we decided it was not worth it. i believe kennyleong sent out a mail last nite to all already? for those still keen, by all means u can go ahead and bid for the batch urself.

cheers!
    Thanks Nightwolf75 for the update. I was not able to attend last night's meeting as I was busy.

We may still want to keep this thread alive just to see how many of us are still interested. I was thinking that we can try our luck to bid for it and if there is less buyer that 29 and we got the bid, we can sell the remainding sets to cover some of the cost. Batteries and charger we can try to do a MO for it. Repair and service, if we sent to Nikon as a bulk maybe we can ask for better price.

Chances will not be high but no harm trying.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jeffhiew
    NW75,

Thanks for the update, wow, I didn't know that element replacement is so $$$.
    me din know too. not rich enuf to own a AF-s lens...

another point raised, IIRC, by xdivider, was dat we have no idea if the lenses are fogged up. also, another CSer present last nite (can't remember who) pointed out dat we dunno how bad the fungus condition is and if the coating on the lenses are gone. so, replacing the AF-s lenses, in particular, is going to cost a bomb.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed.Ē ― Deeksha Mittal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by yqt
    Thanks Nightwolf75 for the update. I was not able to attend last night's meeting as I was busy.

We may still want to keep this thread alive just to see how many of us are still interested. I was thinking that we can try our luck to bid for it and if there is less buyer that 29 and we got the bid, we can sell the remainding sets to cover some of the cost. Batteries and charger we can try to do a MO for it. Repair and service, if we sent to Nikon as a bulk maybe we can ask for better price.

Chances will not be high but no harm trying.
    no problems. i just sent out the mass mailing to inform everyone again abt the withdrawal. by all means, go ahead, if u wish to bid. all the best!
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed.Ē ― Deeksha Mittal

Quote Originally Posted by eawtan
    Shutter should be S$500+ ($200 is way too cheap!) to replace.
    Shutter cost is $160.00 and labour is $200.00. But labour is a standard one time cost even if there is other work/repair. Got this from Nikon this morning.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    no problems. i just sent out the mass mailing to inform everyone again abt the withdrawal. by all means, go ahead, if u wish to bid. all the best!
    Thanks again. No harm trying I guess.

Just MHO. (Just saw this thread)

Many years back, I bid for a batch of old Mac Classics - about 50 of them. Again, these were in an as-is condition. I bid for $100+ and I got 10 working machines. Pretty decent.

Basically, since it is in an as-is condition and SPH is writing off this equipment, you should not base your purchase on the market price less 20%.

You should only pay what you are willing to lose.

This is a risky sale as it's digital, not film cameras.

For me, I'd get together a bunch of people, say 5 people. Each person pays $100, lets say, and just use that amount to bid for a batch. If you get it, great, if you don't, don't shed any tears over it.

If you get it, you have to be willing to lose that agreed amount on a lousy buy. Or gain a few good bodies cheap.

Since it is a bid for the lot, each person in the group can bid different prices, so long as its within the budget set by the group (for example, $600-1000) It's not possible for 2 people in the group to win the same batch. So one person bids at $600, another at $800, another at $1000. You get the idea.

The group splits the cameras into working and non-working. Everyone gets a more or less equal share of working and non-working cameras.

Bid low on the high risk items. For sure you'll get some good deals.

As for the replacement issues of some non-working items, you don't always need to go to Nikon to get originals or for servicing.

Have fun!

Wait the outcome is the final bidding price is less than $100. A lot of you will
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Default To bid or not to bid???

Iím not one of the bidders but if Iím one of the participants, IMHO, here is a suggested approach on how to estimate the price of the ďassetsĒ.

Take the AF-S 80-200mm lens as an example and assume the 2nd hand price for a condition 10 lens is $2100/each.

If all 7 pieces of 80-200mm were condition 10, the estimated total value would be $14,700.

Total Value = $14,700 (7 * 2,100)

Assume only 4 are in working condition, the value would drop to $8,400 (4 * 2,100), the remaining 3 pieces can be written off as $0 value.

Total Value $14,700
    3 pieces - $6,300 (Written off)
    ------------
    Revised value $8,400

Since all lenses have fungus, lets assume the estimated cost for element replacement + labor + cleaning are approx $1,800 each, so total cost is $7,200 (4 * 1,800).

Revised value $8,400
    Replacement cost - $7,200
    -----------
    Net Value (approx) $1,200 (for the whole batch)

Iím making a wild guess here, just plucking figures from here and there from other postings. As NW75 has pointed out, the cost for element replacement is not cheap.

Just my 2 cents
    Last edited by billpepsi; 17th June 2005 at 03:24 PM.

Nikon D1: (29 out of 29 sets. yes!)
    1. RockPopCorns, x 1
    4. yqt x1
    5. espn x 1
    6. ericp x 1
    7. tao x 1
    9. ParkertR x 1
    10. aoelof x1
    11. alechim x 1
    15. canonloverz x 1
    16. canonloverz x1
    18. yklim x 1
    19. vince123123 x 1
    20. icarus x 1
    21. scanman x 1
    22. TMC x 1
    24. EngHong x 1
    27. aimlessfool X 1
    28. smurfman x 1

Reserve:
    5. Caussway x 1

1. espn x 1
    2. ericp x 1
    3. Physical Graffiti x 1
    4. tao x 1
    5. TMC x 1
    6. aoelof x 1
    7. rebbot x 1

Reserve:
    1. vince123123 x 1
    3. besh
    4. Lightwave
    5. Nemesis32 (still in provided price is right and working)

1. icarus - x1
    2. canonloverz x1
    3. cheesecake x 1
    5. madison x 1

1. tao x 1
    2. scanman x1
    3. e
    4. alechim x 1

1. ericp x 1

SB28 batt (4 sets only)
    2. ericp x 1

Just to share some repair costing with you guys...

General cleaning and servicing of AFS80-200 f/2.8D ED is $290. Ever quoted $560 for just changing the 3rd element group by NSC. If the AFS motor needs replacement, it would cost in the region of $700-$800.

Change of Shutter including labour cost: ~$450

Changing of worn out/burn pixel CCD... not worth, might as well throw away the camera. As mentioned, working condition does not actually mean that the sensor do not have burnt pixel. Do note that these cameras are over 5yrs old.

Change of rubber and general checking and servicing of D1 bodies, range from $70 - ~$300 depends what you change and clean. I believe the prism definitely need cleaning cos it would be full of fungus. If you want to change the prism, think it would cost you ~$600 onwards.

D1 Battery charger. $435 (very very low stock, almost none)
    D1 Original Battery: $185 (very very low stock, think only EG got the compatible battery ard $70ea if not wrong)

Thus come to think of it, it is not worth after all. For every camera you win in the bid, you must spend at least $500 for the charger + battery. Next another ~$200 for the re-cond from NSC.

As for the lenses, the minimum cost for each lens is $290 for cleaning and general servicing. That is only provided that the fungus does not eat to the coating of the elements.

Hope the above helps... good luck for those who wants to go ahead.
    Visit me at my studio: http://www.studiospace.com.sg

Quote Originally Posted by sykestang
    Just to share some repair costing with you guys...

General cleaning and servicing of AFS80-200 f/2.8D ED is $290. Ever quoted $560 for just changing the 3rd element group by NSC. If the AFS motor needs replacement, it would cost in the region of $700-$800.

Change of Shutter including labour cost: ~$450

Changing of worn out/burn pixel CCD... not worth, might as well throw away the camera. As mentioned, working condition does not actually mean that the sensor do not have burnt pixel. Do note that these cameras are over 5yrs old.

Change of rubber and general checking and servicing of D1 bodies, range from $70 - ~$300 depends what you change and clean. I believe the prism definitely need cleaning cos it would be full of fungus. If you want to change the prism, think it would cost you ~$600 onwards.

D1 Battery charger. $435 (very very low stock, almost none)
    D1 Original Battery: $185 (very very low stock, think only EG got the compatible battery ard $70ea if not wrong)

Thus come to think of it, it is not worth after all. For every camera you win in the bid, you must spend at least $500 for the charger + battery. Next another ~$200 for the re-cond from NSC.

As for the lenses, the minimum cost for each lens is $290 for cleaning and general servicing. That is only provided that the fungus does not eat to the coating of the elements.

Hope the above helps... good luck for those who wants to go ahead.

Uncle Tang, you forgot to add..... Hope the above helps as you are a D1 user....

Words of advice...

i feel that batch sales should be lower than normal market value for 2nd hand, think about it u are also buying in bulk too

Deregistered

woolala! seems like this mass sale thing is a good opportunity to practice all those statistics for those who studied it...

Quote Originally Posted by jeffhiew
    Iím not one of the bidders but if Iím one of the participants, IMHO, here is a suggested approach on how to estimate the price of the ďassetsĒ.

Take the AF-S 80-200mm lens as an example and assume the 2nd hand price for a condition 10 lens is $2100/each.

If all 7 pieces of 80-200mm were condition 10, the estimated total value would be $14,700.

Total Value = $14,700 (7 * 2,100)

Assume only 4 are in working condition, the value would drop to $8,400 (4 * 2,100), the remaining 3 pieces can be written off as $0 value.

Total Value $14,700
    3 pieces - $6,300 (Written off)
    ------------
    Revised value $8,400

Since all lenses have fungus, lets assume the estimated cost for element replacement + labor + cleaning are approx $1,800 each, so total cost is $7,200 (4 * 1,800).

Revised value $8,400
    Replacement cost - $7,200
    -----------
    Net Value (approx) $1,200 (for the whole batch)

Iím making a wild guess here, just plucking figures from here and there from other postings. As NW75 has pointed out, the cost for element replacement is not cheap.

Just my 2 cents
    Wat a big value...
    but i think u have see the condition of the lens, so u can't assume is condition 10.
    in that case the value for the 7xAFS-80-200 is not worth more the 10k....

as what sykestang said..... to overhaul/general service of the lens are not cheap.
    minus off the estimated "10k" value...
    what value do you think is worth to bid/risk???

***our hearts know.......

Quote Originally Posted by jnet6
    Wat a big value...
    but i think u have see the condition of the lens, so u can't assume is condition 10.
    in that case the value for the 7xAFS-80-200 is not worth more the 10k....

as what sykestang said..... to overhaul/general service of the lens are not cheap.
    minus off the estimated "10k" value...
    what value do you think is worth to bid/risk???

***our hearts know.......

It was highlighted in the posts that the condition of these lenses ranges from 1 to 5, and not all are in working conditions. We don't have complete info here, so I'm making a guess on its fair value if say, 4 lenses were restored to condition 10.

If more lenses were in working conditions, certainly the fair value should worth more. But if the bidder expect the lenses to be restored to new condition, perhaps should consider buying new ones instead. BTW, AF-S is replaced by VR since 2003/04.

This is not a perfect example but it does give you some idea on how to estimate fair value for used assets.

I'm out, Thanks people for the affect.

4. yqt x1
    5. espn x 1
    6. ericp x 1
    7. tao x 1
    9. ParkertR x 1
    10. aoelof x1
    11. alechim x 1
    15. canonloverz x 1
    16. canonloverz x1
    18. yklim x 1
    19. vince123123 x 1
    20. icarus x 1
    21. scanman x 1
    22. TMC x 1
    24. EngHong x 1
    27. aimlessfool X 1
    28. smurfman x 1

Reserve:
    5. Caussway x 1

1. espn x 1
    2. ericp x 1
    3. Physical Graffiti x 1
    4. tao x 1
    5. TMC x 1
    6. aoelof x 1
    7. rebbot x 1

Reserve:
    1. vince123123 x 1
    3. besh
    4. Lightwave

1. icarus - x1
    2. canonloverz x1
    3. cheesecake x 1
    5. madison x 1

1. tao x 1
    2. scanman x1
    3. e
    4. alechim x 1

1. ericp x 1

SB28 batt (4 sets only)
    2. ericp x 1

I'm out too! Getting me a D2 or S3 :X

4. yqt x1
    5. espn x 1
    6. ericp x 1
    7. tao x 1
    10. aoelof x1
    11. alechim x 1
    15. canonloverz x 1
    16. canonloverz x1
    18. yklim x 1
    19. vince123123 x 1
    20. icarus x 1
    21. scanman x 1
    22. TMC x 1
    24. EngHong x 1
    27. aimlessfool X 1
    28. smurfman x 1

Reserve:
    5. Caussway x 1

1. espn x 1
    2. ericp x 1
    3. Physical Graffiti x 1
    4. tao x 1
    5. TMC x 1
    6. aoelof x 1
    7. rebbot x 1

Reserve:
    1. vince123123 x 1
    3. besh
    4. Lightwave

1. icarus - x1
    2. canonloverz x1
    3. cheesecake x 1
    5. madison x 1

1. tao x 1
    2. scanman x1
    3. e
    4. alechim x 1

1. ericp x 1

SB28 batt (4 sets only)
    2. ericp x 1
    Budget wedding photographer :)

I'm out too!

4. yqt x1
    5. espn x 1
    6. ericp x 1
    7. tao x 1
    10. aoelof x1
    11. alechim x 1
    15. canonloverz x 1
    16. canonloverz x1
    18. yklim x 1
    19. vince123123 x 1
    20. icarus x 1
    21. scanman x 1
    22. TMC x 1
    27. aimlessfool X 1
    28. smurfman x 1

Reserve:
    5. Caussway x 1

1. espn x 1
    2. ericp x 1
    3. Physical Graffiti x 1
    4. tao x 1
    5. TMC x 1
    6. aoelof x 1
    7. rebbot x 1

Reserve:
    1. vince123123 x 1
    3. besh
    4. Lightwave

1. icarus - x1
    2. canonloverz x1
    3. cheesecake x 1
    5. madison x 1

1. tao x 1
    2. scanman x1
    3. e
    4. alechim x 1

1. ericp x 1

SB28 batt (4 sets only)
    2. ericp x 1

Deregistered

the Magic thread....

now you see them, now you don't!

by the way, it isn't the first time that i heard photographic lenses getting thrown into drawers after work etc.. and that's the LEAST of the things that happens.

one zaobao photog showed me this lens. black sections other than grips, are gaffer tape sections; the rest near the tripod collar, no prizes for guessing what happened.
    Last edited by sehsuan; 18th June 2005 at 12:23 AM.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3811121314 LastLast