Thread: Olympus Stylus SP-100ee Preview

Default Olympus Stylus SP-100ee Preview

Olympus Stylus SP-100ee Preview *pre-production firmware

Olympus has introduced the Stylus SP-100, a compact camera with a 16MP CMOS sensor with a 24-1200mm F2.9 - F6.5 (35mm equiv) 50x optical zoom which comes with a built-in dot-sight, which is a world's first at the point of this preview, that enables ease of tracking moving subjects when the lens is zoomed in. To make long zoom focusing easier, the SP-100 also features a focus limiter, which lets the user choose what distances the camera searches.

The dot-sight pops up under the flash, the switch to flip out the the red dot is just beside the flash pop up.

Some Features
    1. ISO range 125-6400 (extends to 12800)
    2. Eleven creative art filters available and can be used when shooting movies
    3. Full HD video at 60fps, slow mo videos at 240 and 120 fps
    4. Optical image stabilizer

On the directional pad, only 3 directions have symbols indicated the settings, but all 4 of the directions play an important role in setting camera settings. I've had problems reaching the rec button which is located on the back of the camera but I have big and somewhat inflexible thumb. I'll much prefer the button to be on the top near the shutter release button.
    Last edited by spidey89; 30th January 2014 at 11:37 PM.
    A wise man said, "Any available light is good light"

Default Re: Olympus Stylus SP-100ee Preview

The difference between the lens at its wide end and its most tele end, I forgot to measure, but it's around 15cm, give or take a few cm

One the left side is the dial for the diopter setting of the electronic viewfinder and the other side is the setting for the red dot sight. It's just beside the live view evf button. Not hot shoe since this is a compact camera though personally, I think it'll be a nice addition, but this is a compact camera too. Only 1 dial for exposure compensation in shooting and switching between pictures in playback mode. Mode dial is located there too. On/off button, switch for zooming in and out.

On the preview set I have, the door switch is easily flipped and will flip open but I'm told that final products will not have this issue. Charging is via the USB port which has the plus point of not carrying too many cables and chargers around.

For those concern with the size of this camera, here are pictures next to EZLink cards. It is quite big, but I really quite enjoyed holding the camera. It has quite a beefy grip (for a compact camera). But this camera isn't exactly small, but for the 50x zoom, I wouldn't really complain.

Here's the red dot in action. Initially I didn't understand the point of having it or even how to use it. After listening to explanations and actually using it to shoot, I now wish DSLRs also had them! Especially at super tele ranges, it is a huge help in finding my subjects! I'm not talking about birds only, I'm talking about static things like maybe a interesting man made object or something stuck in a tree. Normally I would have to zoom out, search for it and zoom in, and being a compact, it's not exactly a contender in the speed sector. Having the red dot is really a huge plus point!

This was about as close as I can get to the flower from the lens and getting it to focus despite on paper it focusing close, as close as 1cm. I could be doing something wrong, but I didn't have the manual, and getting it to focus at such a close distance without a manual, I think this is pretty good already. Using my finger for measurement, I estimated it to be around 5cm, but turns out it's actually around 3cm close focusing.

Do note that all pictures are out of camera jpegs, based off pre-production firmware

OOC Jpeg color compared to a calibrated processed image, both had custom white balance and similar settings

IS is working though not very different in these 2 photos

Noise control seems pretty good up to ISO 3200 despite it being a compact camera, I am impressed!
    Last edited by spidey89; 1st February 2014 at 12:06 AM.

Do note that all pictures are out of camera jpegs, based off pre-production firmware

Exactly how power is this camera's zoom? Take a look!

At least 400m away!

At least 1km away!

Tracking with the red dot sight is easy! But getting a sharp, well exposed image is tough! Especially with these agile little birds!
    Last edited by ed9119; 3rd February 2014 at 04:23 PM.

Works great zooming in to small subjects

The image from the photo above with my finger in it, testing how close I can go

Shooting this bird is relatively easy with the long reach of the zoom, these birds are known to fly even though the person is quite a distance away

Shutter lag from a compact is normal, I think it's quite reasonable for a compact and for someone without any birding skills hahaha!

Didn't know this is how the inside of a lotus looks like, would have been easier with a tilt screen at least!

Butterflies are notoriously difficult to shoot cause they are scared away easily, to me anyway hahaha!

Macro of some orange moss

Housefly on shells, quite a distance away from me at the bottom near the water

Ants in the flower

Weathered rocks

Statues based off the Chinese Zodiac, taken before the end of the year of the snake

Loving the closeup capability of this camera

Think this is the yellow vented bulbul, or yellow mynah, very jumpy, hard to shoot but quite impressed with the results!

I've no idea what this is other than it's a water plant, kinda
    Last edited by spidey89; 1st February 2014 at 09:56 AM.

Do note that all pictures are out of camera jpegs

My hero!

If I identified this correctly, it should be an American Green Iguana, not native to Singapore

Tourist from a distance, I was on the bridge when I saw this auntie while looking at the Iguana

An extremely young monitor, probably 30cm long

An adult monitor lizard, at least a meter long

Sitting by the water

Adult dragonfly with the shell from which it came out of, about 8m or so from me and really really small!

Seems to be reflecting on something?

Portrait of a red ear pond slider, kinda

More orange moss!

Chillin under the tree!

My third shot cause I wasn't used to the shutter lag, pretty far away, pretty decent results
    Last edited by spidey89; 1st February 2014 at 12:19 AM.

Keep a lookout for a short video done with the Stylus!

WOW
    great and through review.
    Hope you get to do more reviews.

how much is this baby....very tempting

Quote Originally Posted by lightrules View Post
    WOW
    great and through review.
    Hope you get to do more reviews.

how much is this baby....very tempting
    Hmmmm... Not sure on the pricing for this, I'll get back to you after CNY celebrations on that! I'm impressed with the ability of the video, but sadly, not much control over it, the high speed video is quite fun though, but it's at a reduced resolution, video should be up in a couple of hours!

Here's the video! Rendered out as 1080 30p!

Hi,
    My first time on the forum. A few questions - did you test its in low light and with panorama shots? Would it be okay for portrait shots as well? How would it compare with some of the other zooms for image quality - Canon sx50 or Nikon P520 or L820? Do you have any other photos? Thanks in advance.
    Cheers
    Steve.