Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is CD safe for photo archive ?

vince123123
    Guests

Something interesting, a Super DLT II tape 300GB from QUantum costs $98.44 (I presume it is in US$),but the drives appears to be $3k and up...

The Super DLT, LTO2, or the latest LTO3 generally are used for Server, don't think has home user intend to use this products for backup a home PC.

for my company PC, I'm using Iomega rev, performance quick good and came with it own backup software that allow you to backup your files everytime your data changes....

but due to the price concern, never buy Iomega rev for my home PC.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    Hi Idor, thanks for your information. I can't seem to find the Iomega tape drive you described, only the Rev drive seems to be avaialble now. Perhaps the tape drive is a discontinued product.

Interstingly enough, a review of the DLT systems show that the Rev drive has a faster transfer rate than the DLT systems (25mb/s vs 6mb/s). Tape systems however seem not to be supported by Iomega anymore as their online store doesn't carry them anymore (shafting them to the "legacy" section)
    Oops... did not mean to say IO mega tape... dun think io mega does tapes... bad bad typo on my side...

Quote Originally Posted by kokho
    The Super DLT, LTO2, or the latest LTO3 generally are used for Server, don't think has home user intend to use this products for backup a home PC.

for my company PC, I'm using Iomega rev, performance quick good and came with it own backup software that allow you to backup your files everytime your data changes....

but due to the price concern, never buy Iomega rev for my home PC.
    Hmmm... I think vince quoted terabytes of data... thats why i assume its server... Am I right Vince? if your data is in the TB range, my guess is that you are using a server...... advantage of SDLT is that you can buy those tape changer... and it even saves you time to load and unload... eheheh but again... IOmega rev drive is definately not a solution for TB range of data.

vince123123
    Guests

Hmm well, its not terabytes of data, but 1 TB only. Most of the time however, we are talking about maybe 700GB of data to backup?

The rev looks possible, but at 700, I'll need like 20 disks to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by idor
    Hmmm... I think vince quoted terabytes of data... thats why i assume its server... Am I right Vince? if your data is in the TB range, my guess is that you are using a server...... advantage of SDLT is that you can buy those tape changer... and it even saves you time to load and unload... eheheh but again... IOmega rev drive is definately not a solution for TB range of data.

Hmm well, its not terabytes of data, but 1 TB only. Most of the time however, we are talking about maybe 700GB of data to backup?

The rev looks possible, but at 700, I'll need like 20 disks to get the job done.
    hmmm 20 disk..... i wonder how will the feel of swapping disk be like... anyways like whats mentioned above... you need multiple copies of data to be safe. Why not consider using a few usb 2.0 HDD... may be bulky.. but certainly a cheaper solution than rev... or better still cheapo solution like what i used to do... buy 1 USB2.0 drive enclosure and a few HDD... hehehe there you are a bootleg version of a backup system... hehe cheap and good

Default Just my instinct....

Hi all,
    True, most of you just to do back up with doubles.
    I was once told by a frend.......yes u could hav all the backups and CDs,
    with changing times and probably in 10~20 years digital will reach a new age.
    So i wonder how many out there will be able to read ur DVDs/CDs.etc.
    So perhaps may be a good idea is to back up the software as well.
    May be u guys out there have better ideas!

Anyone have a MO drive? This is the bridge of 2 1/2 floppy and CD in mid 90s. Used this for a while and it disapper. Now, dun know hoe to transfer images from MO disk to use.

Quote Originally Posted by jetspeed818
    Anyone have a MO drive? This is the bridge of 2 1/2 floppy and CD in mid 90s. Used this for a while and it disapper. Now, dun know hoe to transfer images from MO disk to use.
    The same is going to happen to IDE HDD also.... with SATA growing, IDE will ultimately disappear our IDE backups will not work anymore... its all about those companies sucking out $$$ out from us consumers little by little. Guess this is what it means by technology.... keep buying new things...

vince123123
    Guests

hmm well I thought of the HDD method. the onyl downside is that I can't backup all my drives and span the whole thing on multiple media. for rev and tape i think it can be done...but for the HDD, i dont think there's any way to span multiple disks.

Quote Originally Posted by idor
    hmmm 20 disk..... i wonder how will the feel of swapping disk be like... anyways like whats mentioned above... you need multiple copies of data to be safe. Why not consider using a few usb 2.0 HDD... may be bulky.. but certainly a cheaper solution than rev... or better still cheapo solution like what i used to do... buy 1 USB2.0 drive enclosure and a few HDD... hehehe there you are a bootleg version of a backup system... hehe cheap and good

Quote Originally Posted by jetspeed818
    Hi,

I probably have one or two MO drives in my store-room.

The main problem with MO drives are the SCSI cables - once they are damaged, file corruption takes place easily.

Also, I don't know if modern PCs has a SCSI port anymore.

Sorry, my IT blur.

I think media is NOT the ONLY concern. File TYPE must be taken into consideration too.

Had you backed-up your document in WORD STAR or WORD PERFECT , you'll need the OS (DOS?) and the software to open from your archival. And I blieve those will not run on any PCs available now in the market.

So who knows, one day jpg or whatever raw format that we're using now has become obsolete in the future, and you can't find any graphic software to open your pictures?

The most fool-proved method may be the most primitive method => printed hardcopy and safekeep in air-tight environment, be it document or pictures.

vince123123
    Guests

There are actually programs that can convert wordstar or wordperfect. A preliminary review of MS Word shows that it supports wordperfect at least.

Quote Originally Posted by HeWolf
    I think media is NOT the ONLY concern. File TYPE must be taken into consideration too.

Had you backed-up your document in WORD STAR or WORD PERFECT , you'll need the OS (DOS?) and the software to open from your archival. And I blieve those will not run on any PCs available now in the market.

So who knows, one day jpg or whatever raw format that we're using now has become obsolete in the future, and you can't find any graphic software to open your pictures?

The most fool-proved method may be the most primitive method => printed hardcopy and safekeep in air-tight environment, be it document or pictures.

Kit Kat and Idor, can I ask what brand/model tape backup you use? How much did your tape drive cost?

Am also looking into serious tape backup as my data is in the TB range...

Iomega Rev SCSI 90GB for my terabytes worth data in the hd ....
    Last edited by kitkat; 2nd July 2005 at 12:41 AM.

vince123123
    Guests

I thought it was 30GB? You mean there's a 90GB version? or is 90GB the compressed amount.

Quote Originally Posted by kitkat
    Iomega Rev SCSI 90GB for my terabytes worth data in the hd ....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123