Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is CD safe for photo archive ?

Quote Originally Posted by gha
    The best thing is u can rest assure even if ur primary Hdd failed/bonk out
    yr backup is still around
    Out of curosity what software u guys used to backup to yr secondary/external hdd without copying/duplicate the same file?
    i used the microsoft 'My BriefCase' to back up
    I use my linux server to backup via network... hehehe

Good Redbook (74min) CDR's are safe.. Orange book (80min) less so but still better than DVD +/- R's..

I'd recommend using Ricoh Gold CDR's.. Cheap and good...
    If you can afford it, the holy grail would be Mitsui Gold Archival Grade media.. But those cost >S$2.00/ pc even if you buy 500 pieces..

Default dvd

can recommend top quality ultimate best
    DVD RW+ or DVDRW- ?
    Assume willing to pay for it.

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex
    can recommend top quality ultimate best
    DVD RW+ or DVDRW- ?
    Assume willing to pay for it.

thanks.

Use DVD + technology.. It's got stronger CRC than DVD - and will allow better recovery of lost data due to scratches and such..

vince123123
    Guests

Kit Kat and Idor, can I ask what brand/model tape backup you use? How much did your tape drive cost?

Am also looking into serious tape backup as my data is in the TB range...

Quote Originally Posted by idor
    If CD is safe, cooperatoins will not be using tape backup already... You can try using tape backup... Currently I am using rev drive made by iomega That is pretty good... Only problem I have with using HDD to backup is that if your machine die big time, i.e. casing kena burnt(exraggerated) or there is a break in(choy) all data is gone. for me I use rev drive and I keep the backup in my office at work...
    Corporations use DLT's because they simply pack more data into the same form factor. A single DLT is roughly equivalent to several CD's in volume but can pack at least 8 times more data.
    And offsite storage, I believe, is charged by physical volume, not the amount of data.

Default dvd

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox
    Use DVD + technology.. It's got stronger CRC than DVD - and will allow better recovery of lost data due to scratches and such..

mucho thanks
    I did not know that.
    Coincidentally bought more of DVD RW+ than DVD Rw-.

but my writer can also write to DVD Rw- and DVD Ram.

Active photos store in HDD while old photos store in best DVD available - SONY DVD...btw benQ is as bad as those brandless...

Get Taiyo Yuden media. Don't think any media can get better than that.

But of course, you'll have to find ways and means to secure this brand. Don't know why it's not brought into Singapore. TY is OEM for Fujifilm.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    Kit Kat and Idor, can I ask what brand/model tape backup you use? How much did your tape drive cost?

Am also looking into serious tape backup as my data is in the TB range...
    Hi Vince,
    I use the cheapest magnetic backup solution.... IOMega tape Drive. The Firewire version cost like 350 USD and each tape can store 35GB of uncompressed file. The more expensive solution includes using DLT or super DLT tapes. The prices of those are crazy. a drive itself usually cost >1K USD and tapes cost hundreds. most importantly DLT tapes capacity are relative small(35/70 GB) compared to today's HDD size. Super DLTs are more catered for today's system but again the cost are crazy. Usually for companies with super duper deep pockets. Seems that in your case of TB, super DLTs are the way to go. If you ever buy them... let me know how much you pay for it... I am rather curious.....

Hi Vince,
    I use the cheapest magnetic backup solution.... IOMega tape Drive. The Firewire version cost like 350 USD and each tape can store 35GB of uncompressed file. The more expensive solution includes using DLT or super DLT tapes. The prices of those are crazy. a drive itself usually cost >1K USD and tapes cost hundreds. most importantly DLT tapes capacity are relative small(35/70 GB) compared to today's HDD size. Super DLTs are more catered for today's system but again the cost are crazy. Usually for companies with super duper deep pockets. Seems that in your case of TB, super DLTs are the way to go. If you ever buy them... let me know how much you pay for it... I am rather curious.....
    Hi Idor, how much does the Iomega taoe (35 GB) cost?
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Used to burn 2 sets of CD for archiving ( 1 store at home and 1 store in office ). Now I move to DVD storage , again 2 sets.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

If your budget is $500 above, i suggest you go for Iomega Rev, uncompress backup is 35GB per cartridge.

if your budget is below $500 like me, DVD writer cum External HDD will be good choice for you. don't put all your eggs in a single basket.

1 copy on Notebook PC
    1 copy on 3.5" external USB drive
    1 copy on 2.5" external USB drive
    Make one copy on DVD RAM.

The back up software used is Windows file explorer - Simply copy the whole folder to the backup media.

Default 20 years is a long time....

Had you backed-up your files onto a 5 1/4" floppy disk some 20 years ago, you won't be able to find a diskdrive now to retrieve the data, even if your disk is still in good condition, and data is still intact.

If you backed-up your files onto a 3.5" diskette now, very lightly you won't be able to find any diskdrive for it in the near future.

Hence, may be every 5-10 years, you'll have to transfer all your info from a media to another.

All my film negatives are kept in their sleeves and envelopes inside comic book boxes and the scans on a separate external hardrive. Prints in various photo albums.

vince123123
    Guests

I'd also be interested to know. This looks like the next best alternative for me (until Blu-ray becomes cheap).

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet
    Hi Idor, how much does the Iomega taoe (35 GB) cost?
    Also wondering how much each Rev cartridge costs..

Quote Originally Posted by kokho
    If your budget is $500 above, i suggest you go for Iomega Rev, uncompress backup is 35GB per cartridge.

if your budget is below $500 like me, DVD writer cum External HDD will be good choice for you. don't put all your eggs in a single basket

vince123123
    Guests

Just saw the Iomega site.

A Rev drive would cost US$399.99, each Rev cartridge costs US$59.99.

A Rev kit (drive + 5 disks) costs US$579.99

A pack of 4 disks costs US$199.95

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    I'd also be interested to know. This looks like the next best alternative for me (until Blu-ray becomes cheap).

Also wondering how much each Rev cartridge costs..

Quote Originally Posted by tek
    Get Taiyo Yuden media. Don't think any media can get better than that.

But of course, you'll have to find ways and means to secure this brand. Don't know why it's not brought into Singapore. TY is OEM for Fujifilm.
    Plenty of Fujifilm TYG02 around. Even saw it at major retailers in Funan like South Asia which sells both DVD+R and DVD-R (but SLS probably cheaper). I suggest burning one copy TYG02 DVD-R, and the other TYG02 DVD+R.

vince123123
    Guests

Hi Idor, thanks for your information. I can't seem to find the Iomega tape drive you described, only the Rev drive seems to be avaialble now. Perhaps the tape drive is a discontinued product.

Interstingly enough, a review of the DLT systems show that the Rev drive has a faster transfer rate than the DLT systems (25mb/s vs 6mb/s). Tape systems however seem not to be supported by Iomega anymore as their online store doesn't carry them anymore (shafting them to the "legacy" section)

Hi Vince,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast