Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bias?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Benign
    The other explanation is: Duty Free lor.......he/she foreigner no need to pay tax ?
    hahaha!!

the guy could be a regular customer? or owners friend or friend's friend? not very common, but not totally unheard of to get 10% even at hawkers / food courts.

a food court may have agreements with companies in the area, where employees get discount.

In any case, and whatever the reason of $.20 dollars difference, it is my opinion that you started a rant against foreigners without having (or giving us) enough information to form proper judgement. Is this a racist behavior?

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Some foreigner took 1 vegetable + 1 meat + rice = $2.10

I took 1 vegetable + 1 meat + rice = $2.30

!#()!_@#(@+!#)!#)!@#!)#|!)@

Oh My! Did you hang your D70s around your neck during mealtime? Maybe that's the reason for extra charges... *joking*

next time ask ang mo to buy for you lar ...
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tokrot
    Oh My! Did you hang your D70s around your neck during mealtime? Maybe that's the reason for extra charges... *joking*
    ... uncle must have a canon user!!

Default discount?

How do they define more? I didn't ask for more rice, and neither did I ask for less rice. You mean one eye they see can tell?

All the prices are FIXED, rice is 30c, vege 80 and meat 1.20, unless I don't know how to count...
    20c is approx 10% discount of $2.30 unless you want the 3c diff.. Perhaps the angmo has a discount card?

Quote Originally Posted by jonlou
    ang moh mah. soo they treat them better lor....
    Any evidence for that? There are a whole lot of possible explanations for that 20 cent difference, so I wouldn't jump to conclusions.

Next, you will make noise if your EZlink card gets overcharged, but not the one of the foreigner next to you. It's all a giant conspiracy!

espn, according to the government/tv/newspaper/even my neighbour also know ,we need to attract more tourists to come and revive the local economy, there are many campaigns to attract tourists to come, maybe your hawker centre is part of the campaign.

Did u ask immediately why the difference? Maybe they just agar agar and fly you a price. If u don't complain (sorry, feedback) they just take lor...

Instances like this I usually ask them to itemise the cost of each dish first then pay. DANGER.. they may end up charging you more if they actually calculate "wrongly."

One "mama" stall charge their own people less, and everybody else normal. I asked them once why different.... His answer was "his relative" ma...

Quote Originally Posted by slato
    a food court may have agreements with companies in the area, where employees get discount.

In any case, and whatever the reason of $.20 dollars difference, it is my opinion that you started a rant against foreigners without having (or giving us) enough information to form proper judgement. Is this a racist behavior?

How do they define more? I didn't ask for more rice, and neither did I ask for less rice. You mean one eye they see can tell?

All the prices are FIXED, rice is 30c, vege 80 and meat 1.20, unless I don't know how to count...
    Do you always leave bits of uneaten food on the plate?

I think foreingers tend to lick their plates clean and therefore require less work in dish washing. That would warrant a discount.

Also don't forget that Singapore people enjoy the highest living standard in this part of the world and they are wealthier than many "foreigners" who are charged less accordingly.
    Last edited by Sion; 13th June 2005 at 03:44 PM.

forward bias or reverse bias? I think I have a baising problem...
    I know of kopitiam helper who 'eats' money. Order a set meal of egg, kopi, bread and cost $3.20. I ask "How come $3.2?", immediately give me face n throw back $0.50 on my table.

But you nvr got overcharge mah.

I got same experience with espn but my experience was at one of the camera shop at Sim Lim Square few months ago.

That time i intended to buy D70, i went into the shop and a angmo walk right behind me, however the staff serve the angmo first! Well, since all the staffs are busy and the staff can answer all his questions in very friendly. i just wait and approach the staff after the angmo leave, who's know the staff change his face, become very unpatient! Don't know he is bias the D70 or bias local go into the shop who wear T-shirt?

Y did u pay den??
    Dun pay, walk off, go somewhere eat.
    This is the way against racism!

Maybe ur english not as good as ang moh!

i think its very common for shops to charge different prices all the time for these chap chai peng. eat same thing from same shop, diff days diff price.

guess only those more normally priced stuff like hokkien mee or bee hoon soup are a standard 3bucks.

Most food stall sellers will give blue-collar workers, laborers xtra food portion at lower price, this is very obvious especially at the canteen, foodcourt in industrial estate.

Regardless the blue-collar workers, laborers are local or foreigner, their plates always like a small mountain, if you think this is bias, can ask the seller to treat you equally, but make sure you finish everything in your plate.

$2.10 - $2.30 = $0.20

if 20 cents can make one feel uncomfortable then i dunno what to say

Quote Originally Posted by user111
    $2.10 - $2.30 = $0.20

if 20 cents can make one feel uncomfortable then i dunno what to say
    Can use the 20 cents to buy one Panadol, sure can make you feel better.

Some foreigner took 1 vegetable + 1 meat + rice = $2.10

I took 1 vegetable + 1 meat + rice = $2.30

!#()!_@#(@+!#)!#)!@#!)#|!)@

is it same kind of meat? same kind of veg?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter
    is it same kind of meat? same kind of veg?
    Can you remember what you ate last week?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast