Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Italy Trip: Advice needed

THanks nemesis... will definitely check those websites...
    Seems like Italy is quite unsafe... pickpockets... stealing... that's ok if you do enough preventive measures... what I am more worried about are robbers... did anyone get robbed there at knife-point? More worried about safety as I have plans to insure my equipment already...

My wife and I did a two weeks backpack trip to Italy two years ago, went to Rome, Florance, Venice and Milan. Did a detour (day trip by public bus) to Siena and Pisa when we were in Florance (both cities are must sees IMO), and to Tivoli to see Villa Adriana when were in Rome (another must see if you have time). It's one of the most fun trips we ever had, and maybe once in our lifetime. Better plan it well and I'm sure you'll enjoy the stay there.

Here are some photos to share (all pics were taken by a P&S DC):

#1 (taken in Rome)

#2 (Florence)

#3 (Venice)

#4 (Milan)

#5 (Siena)

Cheers and have a fun trip in Italy.

Default my 2cents

Hi there...

Just some experince to share...
    great time to go to italy now... you should be able to get lots of sunshine.. but also lots of people as its peak period now...

not sure about now, I was there backpacking alone in 2001 and the security there seems fine, maybe i was armed with my tripod all the time.. hmmm... just have some common sense and be mindful of ur belongings, you will be fine..

Rome... lots of people.. crowd crowd crowd... the usual places to go will be jam pack with people... some tips.. for the vatican museum.. go early.. there will be a long queue at the museum.. and trust me early bird get the worms... you do not want to waste your time queueing than your day will be wasted.. the rest of the places are the usual suspect, trevi fountain(the icecream next to it is fantasic!!), spanish steps, st peters, pantheon, piazza navona(i think this is the one nemesis32 is trying to recommend u abt the flower market and fountain)..etc etc...

Florence.. my fave city... small, elegant and beautiful.. I got a sweet spot to recommend.. its the Piazzale Michelangelo... you will get a spendid view from there, its a hill where you can have a panaromic view of the city...the secret is to go there to watch the sunset. Its the ultimate romantic moment... other attractions are the Uffizi gallery(same as the vactian museum, go early and queue if you wana visit there.. i queue for about 2hours.. so waste of time), Duomo, ponte vecchio, piazza del pitti, etc etc etc...

Milan, I only stayed there for 1 nite... nothing much there.. but lots of Shopping center!!! good luck..

Venice... beautiful and romantic place...prepare to walk... there are alot of hidden treasure there... if you are adventurous, try to walk off the beaten track.. you may find pleasent surprise around those alleys... The famous Rialto is a must see.. to take a good shot of it.. you may want to take a water bus to have a good angle of it... st mark's square, accademia, etc etc...

Be prepare to walk if you want to see lots of things.. get a good city map of the city you going to.. for me, my bible is the lonely planet.. its a great book to have for information on food, places of interest and accoms...
    food wise, i survive on pizza and sandwiches for most of my meals... however, some small resturants are quite reasonable... wine is dirt cheap... but becareful what you order as most budget resturant are in italian, no english menu.. also their ice cream is a must try... be careful of gypies and beggers... dun bother about them..
    Some of the places you might want to visit at nite.. usually those huge momument will be lighted up at night, and it will present a different mood.. if time and girlfriend permits, you might want to do that..
    You might want to have a stop over at Pisa.. I didnt went there as the tower was still under reno that time.. but i heard its not bad...
    Also, be aware of your attire, most places of worship are very strict on your attire.. no slippers or sandles, no bare shoulder(girls), no shorts, no hats... so just be mindful of that...

hmmm.. i think thats all what i can think of.. wow.. didnt know i written so much...
    have a great trip.. so envy...

Default So many cities... so little time...

Woah... Seems like a lot of day trips that I can consider... Tivoli... Siena and Pisa... woah... I think dun need to sleep lah... just overnight trains all the way... hahah.. no lah.. dun think so... even if I treat this like field camp... my GF also can't tahan... speaking of which... I think will get her to see this thread... she's the major planner now... since I have exams next monday and tue... and we are flying off on wed morning... haha...Yups... Thanks for the nice photog info...
    Think that can get all the nice pics... haha.. hopefully....

Quote Originally Posted by londonray
    Woah... Seems like a lot of day trips that I can consider... Tivoli... Siena and Pisa... woah... I think dun need to sleep lah... just overnight trains all the way... hahah.. no lah.. dun think so... even if I treat this like field camp... my GF also can't tahan... speaking of which... I think will get her to see this thread... she's the major planner now... since I have exams next monday and tue... and we are flying off on wed morning... haha...Yups... Thanks for the nice photog info...
    Think that can get all the nice pics... haha.. hopefully....
    Londonray... you won't have time lah. My suggestion to you is to stick with your itinerary and explore the city area. Once you are familiar, maybe in future, say on your honeymoon then you explore those outskirt and quaint places like Siena, Assisi, Pisa and Tivoli etc.

To summarise what most people had said...

Rome - 2 full days right? 1st day early morning say ard 8am, go to vatican musuem to queue to go in, visit St Peters thereafter as it just side by side. Afternoon, maybe take a train go to Trevi Fountain, walk to Via Condotti for some window shopping, hang ard until evening for dinner and then visit the Spanish Steps.
    2nd day, explore the historical sites, go to Roman Forum, Colisuem etc 1st. Then visit places like Pantheon, Piazza Navona in the afternoon. At night, go to Via Venetto for dinner and leisurely walkaround.

Florence -About 1 1/2 day. 1st day, you prob arrive in afternoon, so forget abt musuems. Go to ponte vecchio and then to the hill both myself and siriuslim mentioned,where you will see one of the 3 DAVIDs in Florence and a very nice view of Florence.
    2nd day, go to musuems, 2 main musuems, one is the uffizi the other is the national gallery or something, which i rem the REAL DAVID is there. After date visit the Duomo and window shop around the city.
    Cinque Terre and Milan - i never been there so no suggestion.
    Venice- abt 2 to 3 days? Venice will depends on where you stay. If it's cheap, you are prob staying OUTSIDE venice. If thats the case, you will need to take a ferry in each day. Spend say 1 day on the Tower, St Marks and the Dodges Palace(dun miss the Bridge of Sigh). Another day prob you can explore one of the islands say Murano (for glassware) or Burano (for Laces) follow by walking around venice's many small lanes and bridges, buy some sourvenirs and take a gondola ride etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dkw
    I second nemesis's points. It does seem a little rushed. I spent 4 full days roaming Rome alone, and it wasn't enough! St Peter's and Vatican museum are must see. Trevi Fountain and Spanish steps are so-so. The Piazza Navona is a nice place to sit down and have an Al-fresco meal. The Coliseum (makes you feel like you're on the set of the Gladiator) and Roman forum are interesting and worthwhile to see and take pictures.

A selection of my so-so pics, all resized so quite low-res....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5.../Coliseum3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5..._FromDome2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...rs_Square9.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...rs_Square3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5..._FromDome1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...Catharine3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...nishSteps2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...es_onRoof4.jpg

The gelato is really to die for. There is one shop, from St Peter's square, if you are walking toward the entrance of the Vatican museum, you will soon be tracking along the wall of the Vatican on your left side. After about 200 meters, look across the street on your right, there is a stall which I think has absolutely the best gelato in that part of Rome.

Enjoy the trip!

I like your shot of St.Catherine.

Would have been better if you'd used a monopod.. just to make it sharper.

-MB

Actually Nemesis... it's 3.5days in Rome I would say... Tivoli I can skip I guess if ROme's really that BIG... yups.. but planning to go Pisa... haha... That one I really wanna go... sienna we shall have to see...

Cinque Terre my fren who went there told me it's a really pretty seaside town... actually it's 5 towns huddled along the western coast just south of milan... So I think me and my Girl will be enjoying some sun and sunsets there... Probably take some nice seaside pics back for you guys... so that next time people can go also... hehe...

Seems like I have more than enough info to work on already... haha... THanks to you guys man! I really haven't done ANY planning at all... although my GF has been working hard on that... haha.. kudos to her... yups... back to the books...

3.5 days in rome? well, then you shd be able to cover almost all the places we mentioned in Rome.. Just try and organise so that you dun go round and round as you WILL in Rome as you will get easily side track. If you have time, i strongly advise you go for a short trip to Pompeii - abt 1 hr away i think? It's abt the Volcano eruption of Mt Vesuvius....

Okies... thanks... cool... volcano... haha... extinct one? scully erupt when I am there... then I will be on Nat Geo...

In Milan be wary of bird seed sellers outside the Duomo (city cathedral). They will attempt to stuff seeds into your pockets and the birds will dive bomb you.

Departing from Venice can be a hassle. You have to take a public river taxi to the bus station, then transfer via bus to airport. Can take 2 to 3 hours to get to the airport.

Beautiful country with great history. It is as if walking through history.

Get lost in Venice, it is fun and safe. Trust me you will even get lost if you had a map haha. Walking into Venice is as if walking into a post card or painting...so much charm.

If you got S$200 to spare, go for a romantic dinner along the Grande Canale. Just cross the Rialto Bridge and you will find them along the river. Very fresh seafood and very romantic!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12