Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 71

Thread: Government Inc.

  1. #1
    Senior Member UncleFai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,429

    Default Government Inc.

    "Not everything that is profitable is of social value and not everything of social value is profitable."

    http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnthar...t-vs-business/

  2. #2
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Government Inc.

    As long as it is for the larger good of all Singaporeans it's profitable.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Government Inc.

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    "Not everything that is profitable is of social value and not everything of social value is profitable."

    http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnthar...t-vs-business/
    I think this message came twenty years too late for us. Now we have integrated the regulator and the regulated. Government is the most profitable here and the sole purpose is to expand the GDP. The only value we care about is properties and cars' COE.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Government Inc.

    Quote Originally Posted by An drew View Post
    I think this message came twenty years too late for us. Now we have integrated the regulator and the regulated. Government is the most profitable here and the sole purpose is to expand the GDP. The only value we care about is properties and cars' COE.
    But GDP reflects the wealth of all Singaporeans.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Government Inc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    But GDP reflects the wealth of all Singaporeans.
    How I wish you are right. Everthing is great until Gini comes along.

    http://sgforums.com/forums/10/topics/379391
    http://thehearttruths.com/2013/02/21...ecd-countries/
    Last edited by An drew; 19th January 2014 at 07:29 PM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Government Inc.

    Quote Originally Posted by An drew View Post
    How I wish you are right. Everthing is great until Gini comes along.

    http://sgforums.com/forums/10/topics/379391
    http://thehearttruths.com/2013/02/21...ecd-countries/
    But Singaporeans enjoy one of the highest living standards in Asia. You still not happy meh?

  7. #7
    Senior Member Halfmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Singapore.
    Posts
    4,590

    Default Re: Government Inc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    But Singaporeans enjoy one of the highest living standards in Asia. You still not happy meh?
    You meant one of the "highest living cost" in Asia??
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Government Inc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoon View Post
    You meant one of the "highest living cost" in Asia??
    Well, highest living standard doesn't come cheap.

    Do you prefer to be in Laos?

  9. #9
    Senior Member Halfmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Singapore.
    Posts
    4,590

    Default Re: Government Inc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Well, highest living standard doesn't come cheap.

    Do you prefer to be in Laos?
    I agree cost is there, but I am not sure if the Standard is.

    It is not bad to be in Laos, Vietnam, as it is a slower pace of life, and you are out with Nature.
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Government Inc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoon View Post
    I agree cost is there, but I am not sure if the Standard is.

    It is not bad to be in Laos, Vietnam, as it is a slower pace of life, and you are out with Nature.
    I'm sure you'll love it there.


  11. #11
    Senior Member Halfmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Singapore.
    Posts
    4,590

    Default Re: Government Inc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    I'm sure you'll love it there.

    Ok... where to book??? LOL...
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Government Inc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoon View Post
    Ok... where to book??? LOL...
    Maybe can try mail order bride?

  13. #13
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,283

    Default Re: Government Inc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Well, highest living standard doesn't come cheap.

    Do you prefer to be in Laos?
    Ya lor, remember, all good things come with price. You hv been forewarned.

  14. #14
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoon View Post
    It is not bad to be in Laos, Vietnam, as it is a slower pace of life, and you are out with Nature.
    Living in a country is different from looking at it from the outside , be it through newspapers, general impressions or as a tourist. Same goes for Singapore, you won't believe how many people will say we are lucky to be here, yet..

  15. #15
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,283

    Default Re: Government Inc.

    I would say what we should ask is a deeper question than merely whether a gov should be run profitably.

    What we should ask is why do we need a gov and what they can do for us! Period.
    Money, though important, is secondary.
    A prudent gov, with the right direction set based on the answers to the first question, would naturally be financially trouble free.

  16. #16
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: Government Inc.

    Wow... didn't know President John F. Kennedy's Inaugural Address in 1961, was so totally wrong...

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  17. #17
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Government Inc.

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Living in a country is different from looking at it from the outside , be it through newspapers, general impressions or as a tourist. Same goes for Singapore, you won't believe how many people will say we are lucky to be here, yet..
    Looking at Laos from outside:


    When you actually living in Laos:



  18. #18
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Government Inc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Looking at Laos from outside:


    When you actually living in Laos:


    You always never fail to crack me up.

  19. #19

    Default

    Other than government & business institutions, there are religious, educational, & social institutions. Each has their own values & mission. But today it seems any institution is run like business institutions

  20. #20
    Senior Member Halfmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Singapore.
    Posts
    4,590

    Default Re: Government Inc.

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Living in a country is different from looking at it from the outside , be it through newspapers, general impressions or as a tourist. Same goes for Singapore, you won't believe how many people will say we are lucky to be here, yet..
    I agree.... I was kidding only.... is there ever a perfect place? Maybe, but also, depend on what you want...

    If I am wearing all white, I am sure I am happy here....
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •