Thread: B&W Film, Street, Vietnam Lady

Default B&W Film, Street, Vietnam Lady

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Help with increasing contrast. How is the Composition? Is it too 'traditional'?
    2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    To share the vibe of the area, the place.
    3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    On the street. Eating lunch next to her. 50 mm prime. Did not want her to notice, rather a candid natural shot.
    4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I like it. I was wondering if it could be made more powerful if a similar situation were to arise...

Thanks guys... Appreciate it

Default Re: B&W Film, Street, Vietnam Lady

If you like it,that's the best thing.As you know images are interesting if
    there are contrasts either of lighting or elements in the picture.I think
    one way to make it more powerful is to increase contrast and sharpen the details.
    The comparison of the texture of her skin versus the surrounding( the fan,baskets,bamboo panel,netting of potatoes behind subject and farmer's hat for instance). Alternatively you can sharpen the details surrounding the subject as a form of contrast.More artsy so to speak.
    Last edited by one eye jack; 19th January 2014 at 03:03 PM.

reducing gamma and increasing contrast should work...composition looks fine to me.
    Last edited by zaren; 19th January 2014 at 05:20 PM.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

The image seems over-sharpened after scan. The film grain doesn't seem very natural.

Composition is quite nice, though maybe I'd prefer a tighter crop?

I think some increased contrast would suit the shot better; I'm also seeing a blue-ish tinge to the shot that I don't like

Overall, that's a pretty cool street shot
    Check out my blog: pixelogist.me

Composition and timing is good. I also think contrast should be increased, especially in a BnW image where you want it to be powerful. Totally liked zaren's edited version of the image.

Blog Entries

I would prefer a wider perspective. Show a little of the knees, and the stuff she is selling/ or sitting beside.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I would prefer a wider perspective. Show a little of the knees, and the stuff she is selling/ or sitting beside.
    i agree. give us more background story about that woman.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Yes I agree the contrast should be upped, just not sure how I can do it prior to PS. Would it be due to exposure being off, or due to older coatings resulting in lower contrasts?

no legs no story
    more context please
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Quote Originally Posted by jaynutter View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys! Yes I agree the contrast should be upped, just not sure how I can do it prior to PS. Would it be due to exposure being off, or due to older coatings resulting in lower contrasts?
    This has to do with understanding how light meters work. Depending on subject matter and lighting conditions
    if correct exposure is determined it should not be a problem.That is overall details are properly
    exposed subject to compromises in exposure.Of course you can do photo stacking taking multiple exposures and
    blending them in post processing or perhaps in camera.Older caotings? Are you implying you used a manual vintage lens? If it is multi coated that also is not a problem. You can bracket your shots if you prefer.

thanks for the reply one eye.. I was using an old canon manual focus lense with a leica m2. Also it was shot with B&W film...

Quote Originally Posted by jaynutter View Post
    thanks for the reply one eye.. I was using an old canon manual focus lense with a leica m2. Also it was shot with B&W film...
    I see, so the exposure was way off.Does the M2 have a built in meter? If not get an external one.
    Or Use a film exposure table from the internet.

OT: is this shot on fuji acros neopan? haha looks very similar to that film..

exposure looks fine to me though..
    M10|M6 Millenium|50mm f1 e58|35 f1.4 FLE|35mm f2 V1 germany|15mm V f4.5 VIII|50mm Zeiss f2