Thread: Shopping in Hong Kong for DLSR?

Default Shopping in Hong Kong for DLSR?

Is it a good idea to do so? I heard the prices were significantly cheaper but also heard that the warranties do not extend to countries overseas. I'm considering a Canon 350D or a D70, I have a very cheap film camera at the moment and the lenses are so-so.

hey dude.. in Hong Kong lot of cheaters are there.. Please be aware of it.. Today I really got cheated in Hong Kong. I got confused because of currency conversion factor..
    I brought Sigma EF 500 DG Super for 2700HKD which is selling for 1470 HKD (http://www.tincheungcamera.com.hk/te...roducts_id=333)

wow,that almost double the price.Never go back demand money back?

Quote Originally Posted by shiva
    hey dude.. in Hong Kong lot of cheaters are there.. Please be aware of it.. Today I really got cheated in Hong Kong. I got confused because of currency conversion factor..
    I brought Sigma EF 500 DG Super for 2700HKD which is selling for 1470 HKD (http://www.tincheungcamera.com.hk/te...roducts_id=333)
    Hi Shiva,

Where did you buy the flash? There are reputable shops in HK, but you have to know them..............Wing Shing is one of them

HS

I hope you didn't buy it from those Nathan Rd shops? They are like the Orchard rd shops in SG, once they know you are a foreigner, that's it man!

HS

When in Hong Kong, go to Mongkok for your photographic needs. Wing Shing and/or Man Shing are of good repute. Lotsa locals go there. I've spent enough money there to know that I've saved a lot, too, when compared to buying in Singapore.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Thanks for your tip. Monokydni, do you have any observations about the warranty? If you had trouble with your stuff, could you go to the dealers here? Thanks!

I've bought Nikkor lenses and a Speedlight, which I observed carry an international warranty. Important to retain purchase receipt, to be produced for sevice at any Nikon service centres worldwide. Apparently Nikon camera bodies don't carry the same cover. I'm not aware of other brands' policies, though.
    Last edited by monokydni; 12th June 2005 at 11:18 AM. Reason: grammatical

Yes, apparently Canon and Nikon lenses have international warranty. Just have to keep the reciept.

Feel compelled to add: It's a given that we ought to do some homework and legwork before opening the wallet. And trust your gut feel before emptying it. If at anytime the salesperson is too slick or pushy for your comfort, just back off and find someone else or proceed to another place. We all know how Shiva feels, we've been there one time or another. Feel sorry for you, Shiva.

http://www.ygdragon.net/

Best place to compare prices. If you can, print out a page and walk around with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpix0r
    http://www.ygdragon.net/

Best place to compare prices. If you can, print out a page and walk around with it.
    Good job, brother! But my skinny wallet is now tempted again by the list....

Quote Originally Posted by monokydni
    Good job, brother! But my skinny wallet is now tempted again by the list....
    http://www.tincheungcamera.com.hk/

Another one. Funny thing is even after shipping is added for the Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 lens, it's STILL CHEAPER than any of the stores in SIngapore here for a new piece.

Will order from them once I find out if they actually put actual value of the item on the package, because I don't want to pay GST.

Even with GST, it'll still be cheaper.... BUY!

Thanks for the link! Will be extremely careful (well, I hope my husband will be anyway!) when we shop for our camera.

thanks for the reply guys.. I was not abe to access Internet for last one or two days..
    rate is almost double.. and when I asked again.. he started telling, "why did you come to me?" funny isn't it !!

may be my fault, I could have come back when I was not sure about the price.. but the sales man was cribing

Read here abt someone's the experience shopping for camera in HK

http://www.photo.net.ph/shopping/hongkong/

Quote Originally Posted by monokydni
    I've bought Nikkor lenses and a Speedlight, which I observed carry an international warranty. Important to retain purchase receipt, to be produced for sevice at any Nikon service centres worldwide. Apparently Nikon camera bodies don't carry the same cover. I'm not aware of other brands' policies, though.
    Canon and Nikon digital cameras AND DIGITAL lenses (DX and the likes) only have LOCAL official warranty (in this case Hong Kong warranty). Wing Shing and Man Shing (same shops) only sell official items, meaning they all come with official warranty, be it local or international. Some brands still give international warranty for their digital items.........

There are other shops around TST that sell grey items and still give you shops warranty (not the official manufacturer warranty, but they may sent them back to the manufacturer anyway on their costs)..........these shops all give lower prices than Wing/Man Shing........

HS

All Nikkor Lens should have international warrenty include DX Lens
    i bought mine in hk and service in singapore
    Film body have international warrenty too but not digital body

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien
    Canon and Nikon digital cameras AND DIGITAL lenses (DX and the likes) only have LOCAL official warranty (in this case Hong Kong warranty). Wing Shing and Man Shing (same shops) only sell official items, meaning they all come with official warranty, be it local or international. Some brands still give international warranty for their digital items.........

There are other shops around TST that sell grey items and still give you shops warranty (not the official manufacturer warranty, but they may sent them back to the manufacturer anyway on their costs)..........these shops all give lower prices than Wing/Man Shing........

HS