Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home interior shoot.

Default Home interior shoot.

Hi Peeps, my friend is asking me for a favour to do for him a home interior photo shoot so that he can upload to his website. I have never done any home interior shoot before but willing to give it a try and my friend are aware of it. Need some advise on the gears I need to prepare and things I need to look out for. These are the gears I had.
    Nikon D7000
    Nikon D600
    Sigma 10-20mm DX
    Tamron 24-70mm FX
    Sigma 17-50mm DX
    SB910 and SB900
    2 light stand
    2 white umbrella
    2 black umbrella
    Pls advise me on the gear that suit the most or what other gears I can look at too.
    Thanks.

Default Re: Home interior shoot.

D7000 and Sigma 10-20 lens is all you need.

you are shooting a home right? than can forget about setting up any umbrella, unless his house have high ceiling and super spacious.

and it is not easy to set up lighting for interior shots, your lights will show up in reflection somewhere some how, so be prepare to test and test and test and test and test...

KEEP IT SIMPLE is all you need.
    Last edited by catchlights; 17th January 2014 at 03:25 PM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    D7000 and Sigma 10-20 lens is all you need.

you are shooting a home right? than can forget about setting up any umbrella, unless his house have high ceiling and super spacious.

and it is not easy to set up lighting for interior shots, your lights will show up in reflection somewhere some how, so be prepare to test and test and test and test and test...

KEEP IT SIMPLE is all you need.
    Thanks for the reply. He will be bring me to his client home to shoot. Do you think I should bring flash just incase the light source not enough? Lol...
    Btw need tripod?

There's a lot more to interior photography then we can tell you here.

If its just a normal house, a camera body with a wide angle lens should suffice. Tripod is a must because you might be shooting in low light conditions with slower shutter speeds. The tripod will also let you level up the set up easier.

Use tripod to bracket your shoot (5-7 stop) then use Photomatix to produce the final image.

Just try out by taking your own home / office whatever interior that interests you. Then you would know what the difficulties are.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Thanks for all the reply and advise.
    I still thinking of using my new equipment D600 and 24-70mm but I worry it not wide enough...😜

Quote Originally Posted by Gikens View Post
    Thanks for all the reply and advise.
    I still thinking of using my new equipment D600 and 24-70mm but I worry it not wide enough...��
    D600 with Sigma 10-20? D600 should switch to FX mode, resulting image will be 15mm FF equivalent. Much wider than 24mm.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    D600 with Sigma 10-20? D600 should switch to FX mode, resulting image will be 15mm FF equivalent. Much wider than 24mm.
    Sorry I dun get wat u mean... you saying use my D600 with 10-20 instead of 24-70? Is that wat u are saying?

Quote Originally Posted by Gikens View Post
    Sorry I dun get wat u mean... you saying use my D600 with 10-20 instead of 24-70? Is that wat u are saying?
    Yes. Please correct me if there's something wrong with that approach. I'm not familiar with Nikon, only extrapolating what I have read about Nikon's possibility to use FF sensors in DX mode when DX lenses are attached.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Yes. Please correct me if there's something wrong with that approach. I'm not familiar with Nikon, only extrapolating what I have read about Nikon's possibility to use FF sensors in DX mode when DX lenses are attached.
    Nope.. nothing wrong. Yes.. can mount DX len on D600.

I am not an expert. A few months ago I saw a Gary Fong youtube video using the lightsphere on a flash light for home interior shoot. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aGwNlwaTL0

Has anyone tried this before?

Quote Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
    I am not an expert. A few months ago I saw a Gary Fong youtube video using the lightsphere on a flash light for home interior shoot. Here it is:

Hey.. thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Obelix View Post

Tupperware light source. I can't believe I fell for that
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Check out David Hobby's approach: http://strobist.blogspot.sg/2012/02/...nside-box.html

bring feets for your flash. at times u need some light to darken the dark spots alittle. u can hide the flash under/behind sofa/table/chairs and etc.

if ur only 1 person. i suggest u keep it light and simple. to lighten overall area use flash. to brighten subject like sofa and etc, use a small led with lightstand and swirel head. try bringing 2-4 Zflash. I use it for my shoots once inawhile when needed. but most of the time i would rather use 2dedo lights to spot and maybe 2red heads.

check out the commercial video for hotel/resort me and my team did on http://www.youtube.com/user/AsiaTravelTV

From the questions you asked, you don't seem to have much experience with shooting interiors. I'd suggest you keep equipment down to minimal. Forget about additional flashes/strobes. Learn to use the available lightings.

Quote Originally Posted by paulboh87 View Post
    but most of the time i would rather use 2dedo lights to spot and maybe 2red heads.
    This is serious big budget video production.

Quote Originally Posted by jopel View Post
    This is serious big budget video production.
    start up cost is pretty costly. custom made dolly and light weight jib arm and etc but once the project start coming in, it is more worth than renting.
    been doing this for 4 years. still a newbie, much to learn

Well, you don't always need a flash, especially when you aren't sure of how to control your light.

This shot was taken without use of additional lighting.

Although I personally think this shot is decent, I later learnt that there are a couple of fatal flaws... Well, we all learn...

KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast