Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4567811 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I am not proud to be Singaporean

Default Re: Why I am not proud to be Singaporean

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    I don't buy the argument that there is nothing seriously wrong with the braggart with fake foreign accent. See for yourself and draw your own conclusions.

Why don't you make a video like her and let us all judge how attractive you look, your mannerisms, accent, etc.
    Compare, copy and improve from her mistakes. Comment in a plain background, no fluffy toys, no musical instrument of any kind, no exposing of too much flesh, no waving of hands, no accent etc.

Or are you kiasu and just an anonymous, coward like ME.

She is just a girl growing up. We have all been through this stage in our lives. When my mum says I am not proud of you because you are neither a Dr, lawyer nor politician, I am still her son. One she cannot dispose off. This girl didn't find opportunities nor anyone appreciating her for her talents in Singapore. Wish her all the best. Hope she can make it big elsewhere. If you look at it, Stephanie Sun and JJ didn't become famous in Singapore. They would have remained virtually unknown if they have persisted in their singing careers in Singapore.

Not being proud of being a Singaporean does not make her any less a Singaporean. I am sure while she is pursuing her dreams elsewhere, she will always be thinking of returning home to Singapore when she hits a brick wall. All the best!
    Last edited by ManWearPants; 20th January 2014 at 12:07 PM.

It's ridiculous for someone who said so to the mother country who breed and raised her...provided her the best education and safety so that she is what she is today....either she is low EQ or 0 civic educated.....worse there are Netizen added oil to the fire by praising her for straight and honoured opinion......common guys......even a citizen from War torn country like Afghan and North Korea will not criticised their own country like that (although they may get their head chopped or root plugged)...

Shame...Shame...Shame...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    It's ridiculous for someone who said so to the mother country who breed and raised her...provided her the best education and safety so that she is what she is today....
    And if this "best education" gives her the insights and brings her to the conclusion that this country is not the best for her? There's nothing shameful about that. Comparisons with war-ridden countries are pointless.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    She is just a girl growing up. We have all been through this stage in our lives. She didn't find opportunities nor anyone appreciating her for her talents in Singapore. Wish her all the best. Hope she can make it big elsewhere. If you look at it, Stephanie Sun and JJ didn't become famous in Singapore. They would have remained virtually unknown if they have persisted in their singing careers in Singapore.

Not being proud of being a Singaporean does not make her any less a Singaporean. I am sure while she is pursuing her dreams elsewhere, she will always be thinking of returning home to Singapore when she hits a brick wall. All the best!
    Fully agreed. I have watched the whole 13.50 minute. video and here is what transpired:

She grew up in a family of doctors and lawyers (privileged background).
    Had primary education in Singapore. Lived in Austrialia for a while and acquired an Australian accent ( no marbles in mouth- American accent rather aussie parliamentary english).

Diploma in media- maybe here or Australia.Don't want to be conventional like singaporeans
    so chose or want to be in media industry preferably show business ( fame and fortune).

She said her mother told her if she wants to be in show business,she needs to "pretend"
    or play ball so to speak.She said she is an honest person and don't want to be a fake.Huh????
    She did not take advice ( because of her immaturity) and ignorant about the importance of
    self image and public relations.So she had committed fatal mistake big time.Also did not know
    how to handle press and media.The youtube video is also stupid but given her youth and folly...

Stephanie Sun and JJ lin played ball and went to game shows playing the clown sometimes
    and paid their dues and now are established performers in their own right with real talent.I salute them.

Wherelse this young lady wants instant fame and failed so resorted to whining.She said she probably
    want to leave Singapore but do you think any country for that matter would want her? They have excess of talent so what if she has an Australian accent.The ABC (American born/bred Chinese) that
    made it in show business are of Taiwanese origin like Vaness Woo of F4 fame and there are many like him trying their luck in Taiwan because in the usa they don't stand a farking chance.

Another talent is our local Olivia Ong, she started out as an English bossanova singer in Japan and
    had an album cd.She is still plugging away in game shows and networking in Taiwan.She has made several mandarin albums and has gain recognition here and Taiwan with real talent.Look at her
    celebrity image which is CLEAN.

This wannabe young lady will have to take her journey but soon she will realise that she is still
    a daughter of Singapore and there's no place like home.The PM and I will still welcome her back
    with open arms because once a Singaporean is always a Singaporean.I wish her all the best.

she spoiled everything she said, by doing that vulgar hand sign at the end of video.

in Asian context, this is an uneducated person.

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    ....she will always be thinking of returning home to Singapore when she hits a brick wall.
    You sure it won't be like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    You sure it won't be like this?

If and when she succeed she can return as:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30555968@N00/12046779346/

Oops! Wrong gender.
    I think Singapore will more than welcome her home if she return as this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30555968@N00/12046126343/

Quote Originally Posted by jonlee View Post
    Why don't you make a video like her and let us all judge how attractive you look, your mannerisms, accent, etc.
    Compare, copy and improve from her mistakes. Comment in a plain background, no fluffy toys, no musical instrument of any kind, no exposing of too much flesh, no waving of hands, no accent etc.

Or are you kiasu and just an anonymous, coward like ME.
    No, I just don't have the luxury of time to make such videos, nor do I think such "video blogging" is very useful in improving the world. Anyways, why does it always boil down to this argument that if you disagree with someone, you must best them in what they have done that you are not happy with? If that is the case, then I wonder why such logic is not applied equally in all matters.

What impact has the video made, looking at it objectively? Let some people blow off some steam, let her rant, and flap her hands around. At the end of the day, the value is next to zero (assuming that her intention wasn't to get attention, be it positive or negative) and nothing new was mentioned beyond a regurgitation of thoughts and common complaints that we have heard through the years. Just my 2 cents. Anyways, she is young, and it's a free world, she can make 8000 videos if she wants. But I also don't have to care.
    Last edited by edutilos-; 20th January 2014 at 03:51 PM.

Another good example of front no pom pom, back no kiao kiao. Is this the new standard?

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    Iron Ball Kei?

The fouled mouthed spoiled brat is more intolerant of anyone who disagrees with her, than CS forum members.

She said of her video and her views expressed therein: "....and if you don't like it then F*uck You !" with the finger sign.

It is extremely ill-mannered and a reflection of 没家教.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 20th January 2014 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    No, I just don't have the luxury of time to make such videos, nor do I think such "video blogging" is very useful in improving the world. Anyways, why does it always boil down to this argument that if you disagree with someone, you must best them in what they have done that you are not happy with? If that is the case, then I wonder why such logic is not applied equally in all matters.

What impact has the video made, looking at it objectively? Let some people blow off some steam, let her rant, and flap her hands around. At the end of the day, the value is next to zero (assuming that her intention wasn't to get attention, be it positive or negative) and nothing new was mentioned beyond a regurgitation of thoughts and common complaints that we have heard through the years. Just my 2 cents. Anyways, she is young, and it's a free world, she can make 8000 videos if she wants. But I also don't have to care.

It is not a matter of making someone happy even if you disagree with them ( I hope that is what you mean). It is having a mature criticism when you disagree with them, even more so in this case as we are dismissing her as a school girl rant. What is so constructive criticizing the set, fluffy toys, her dress sense, her mannerisms, her accent etc. I quite understand most is just fun and humour among ourselves here at CS. Yes, her finger salute at the end was rude but I have seen worse when driving, from fathers my age who should know better. I agree most of the things she complain about is old hat. But then most of those negative things are still happening in our society. Why do you think the government is still creating things like the courtesy programme. Old programmes like littering, chewing gum, spitting, flushing toilets had to be almost drumed into us when in Singapore. How many of us would conveniently forget those when we pop over the causeway and further afield. As I notice, she mention that Singapore was clean and things running quite efficiently. She was probably not born or too young to remember when Singapore was dirty and inefficient. Yes, many good changes have taken place in Singapore. Is it so wrong to have pipe dreams for things to improve even further? Or are we falling into the same trap, many in the so call first world are falling and have fallen. We have every thing and know every thing, what is there to learn from others let alone some ranting from a young girl.

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Anyways, she is young, and it's a free world, she can make 8000 videos if she wants. But I also don't have to care.
    What if someone create 8000 threads in KPT?

Quote Originally Posted by jonlee View Post
    It is not a matter of making someone happy even if you disagree with them ( I hope that is what you mean). It is having a mature criticism when you disagree with them, even more so in this case as we are dismissing her as a school girl rant. What is so constructive criticizing the set, fluffy toys, her dress sense, her mannerisms, her accent etc.
    This I agree.

We tend to have a tendency of making personal (ad hominem) attacks when we disagree with someone, rather than addressing their points. I still remember the response to the Wee Shu Min scandal - instead of pointing out what was wrong with her logic and/or attitude, I'd say 80% of the people focused on her mole, her size, her background, appearance, dressing.. That said, back on this particular case - light-hearted comments aside, a lot of the pointing out of these points seem linked to her self-image of being highly creative and individual (yet that video was anything but a representation of being such, other than perhaps an intended or unintended attempt to gain a lot of negative publicity).

Actually, I wrote a long post on why creativity isn't just dependent on a country's education, but also the country's culture, which the government can't be entirely (note: I didn't say that the government isn't responsible) be responsible for. But I thought about the responses I've gotten to some of my more serious posts here, and I sighed, deleted it and typed a short reply about Spongebob.
    Last edited by edutilos-; 20th January 2014 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hanzohattori View Post
    What if someone create 8000 threads in KPT?
    Oh, that means when I look into KPT to look for Master Sion's self portrait discussions, I can't find them, and have to filter through 8000 threads of mental diarrhea. That is bad.

Agree.

There are many successful local born musicians with dollops of talent, including people like Kit Chan, Joi Chua, Tanya Chua etc Or for rock music the old Douglas Oliviero, for jazz music Jeremy Montiero. And the too many to mention highly talented & successful classical musicians Singapore have. They made it through their own without whining about this & that & blaming the Govt & people for not doing enough to support & help them. Just because she didn't made it to the top of the Korean contest, she has to justify everything for herself. She wont even acknowledge that she's dumb, when she confess outright to have been duped/mislead/cheated into entering the contest, just blame others - so much for smartness. Relook the video again & it comes across she's too full of herself, full of self-admiration like when she says " AM the FIRST & ONLY ONE" to have done this, achieve that. Her Youtube fame came from riding on the back of the overwhelming success of Psy's "Gangnam style". She acknowledge she did not manage to compose any songs herself, other than singing covers of the successes of others on Youtube. So much for her talent. Maybe she will strip & follow in the likes of Miley Cyrus, out of the hunger for fame & fortune.

Some people are so impressed with her "guts & courage" or won over by her looks, but some others may choose to see it as nothing more than impulsive folly & recklessness, narcissism & naivety (even stupidity, to be brutally honest like her).

Quote Originally Posted by one eye jack View Post
    Fully agreed. I have watched the whole 13.50 minute. video and here is what transpired:

She grew up in a family of doctors and lawyers (privileged background).
    Had primary education in Singapore. Lived in Austrialia for a while and acquired an Australian accent ( no marbles in mouth- American accent rather aussie parliamentary english).

Diploma in media- maybe here or Australia.Don't want to be conventional like singaporeans
    so chose or want to be in media industry preferably show business ( fame and fortune).

She said her mother told her if she wants to be in show business,she needs to "pretend"
    or play ball so to speak.She said she is an honest person and don't want to be a fake.Huh????
    She did not take advice ( because of her immaturity) and ignorant about the importance of
    self image and public relations.So she had committed fatal mistake big time.Also did not know
    how to handle press and media.The youtube video is also stupid but given her youth and folly...

Stephanie Sun and JJ lin played ball and went to game shows playing the clown sometimes
    and paid their dues and now are established performers in their own right with real talent.I salute them.

Wherelse this young lady wants instant fame and failed so resorted to whining.She said she probably
    want to leave Singapore but do you think any country for that matter would want her? They have excess of talent so what if she has an Australian accent.The ABC (American born/bred Chinese) that
    made it in show business are of Taiwanese origin like Vaness Woo of F4 fame and there are many like him trying their luck in Taiwan because in the usa they don't stand a farking chance.

Another talent is our local Olivia Ong, she started out as an English bossanova singer in Japan and
    had an album cd.She is still plugging away in game shows and networking in Taiwan.She has made several mandarin albums and has gain recognition here and Taiwan with real talent.Look at her
    celebrity image which is CLEAN.

This wannabe young lady will have to take her journey but soon she will realise that she is still
    a daughter of Singapore and there's no place like home.The PM and I will still welcome her back
    with open arms because once a Singaporean is always a Singaporean.I wish her all the best.
    Last edited by s1221ljc; 21st January 2014 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by s1221ljc View Post
    Agree.

There are many successful local born musicians with dollops of talent, including people like Kit Chan, Joi Chua, Tanya Chua etc Or for rock music the old Douglas Oliviero, for jazz music Jeremy Montiero. And the too many to mention highly talented & successful classical musicians Singapore have. They made it through their own without whining about this & that & blaming the Govt & people for not doing enough to support & help them. Just because she didn't made it to the top of the Korean contest, she has to justify everything for herself. She wont even acknowledge that she's dumb, when she confess outright to have been duped/mislead/cheated into entering the contest, just blame others - so much for smartness. Relook the video again & it comes across she's too full of herself, full of self-admiration like when she says " AM the FIRST & ONLY ONE" to have done this, achieve that. Her Youtube fame came from riding on the back of the overwhelming success of Psy's "Gangnam style". She acknowledge she did not manage to compose any songs herself, other than singing covers of the successes of others on Youtube. So much for her talent. Maybe she will strip & follow in the likes of Miley Cyrus, out of the hunger for fame & fortune.

Some people are so impressed with her "guts & courage" or won over by her looks, but some others may choose to see it as nothing more than impulsive folly & recklessness, narcissism & naivety (even stupidity, to be brutally honest like her).
    Look some people are born as social misfits in society. Of course, society here, being judgmental as they always have been, will judge her harshly by the social metric Singaporeans always stick to. Some people are just LOATHE to follow social convention and Asians, being Asians, will always loathe them in return because of the strong self-reinforcing force within Asian society to conform.

If the fella doesn't want to conform, LET THEM BE. I know Singaporeans find it hard to even restrain their self-righteous nonsense they like to indulge in, but if LETTING THEM BE is so bloody hard, take a hike off the plank.

Quote Originally Posted by s1221ljc View Post
    Agree.

There we go again with character and looks assassination, instead of offering something more constructive. An example of what she brought up in the video. I have told my own children to always greet strangers and especially the elderly with a "Good morning or afternoon" (night they shoud be in bed). In Asia maybe a "Have you had your breakfast, lunch, dinner?" Or quite common for Singaporeans my age "Makan yet". I would say eight out of ten would return the greeting, one out of ten may give a dirty look and the other one will pretend not to hear. It is up to us to convince the two if passing greetings is a good thing to do.

I do not have the guts and courage to post a video and it is easy for anyone to look better than me and for me to admire them. This is from an uncle that is having difficulty trying to keep his hair on instead of his hair out of place.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4567811 ... LastLast