View Poll Results: Sound of Dropping Marble / Dragging Furnitures?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nope.. Never for both

7 6.73%
  • Dropping Marble - Yes

32 30.77%
  • Dragging Furnitures - Yes

3 2.88%
  • Both Yes!

62 59.62%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Living in HDB: Ever heard marble dropped in the night?

actually, this doesnt just happen in hdb. i used to live in a row of terrace houses at a quite known neighbourhood to be haunted, and i used to hear marble sounds as well (in wall and ceiling).

den i shifted to my own place (top floor of an apartment), and i heard dragging sounds on the ceiling.

so im pretty "lucky" to be caught in situations where i can't blame in on neighbours eh?

FYI. I saw this topic in Sunday Times today.. haven't got time to read it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by deslim27
    FYI. I saw this topic in Sunday Times today.. haven't got time to read it yet.
    Was it the reply from HDB?maybe some light will be shred here.

Reader posted in Straits Times few days ago..

Another forum, some also mentioned about sound of dragging of furnitures from upstairs.. I've experience both till today even thought I've moved many times. Anyone experienced before? Or may be have any explanation?

p.s. Where to buy marbles and who is playing with it nowadays?? hmm..
    If you are not staying on the highest floor of that block, no matter how many times you move, you will still hear both the same old noise.

The HDB did not really explain. Just asked us to call 'em to investigate.

Used to hear them when I was not staying at the top floor of HDB.. my last place and current ones are top floor, so nvr hear them already...

Default Same here....

last floor....no sound...

rgds,
    sulhan

Quote Originally Posted by zaxh81
    Was it the reply from HDB?maybe some light will be shred here.
    3 Explanations from ST..

1) When water flow is shut off suddenly, the change in pressure rattles the pipes, which may sound like marbles dropping after distortion thru wall

2) Some pre-fabricated floors used in HDB flats hae an embedded high-strenght steel cable which can give off creaking sounds when they contract

3) It is really children playing with marbles.

Some readers suggested it could be golf balls.. Hahaha.. didn't know golfers like to toy with their balls in the middle of the night. It is almost as rare as children playing marbles mah.

3 Explanations from ST..

1) When water flow is shut off suddenly, the change in pressure rattles the pipes, which may sound like marbles dropping after distortion thru wall

2) Some pre-fabricated floors used in HDB flats hae an embedded high-strenght steel cable which can give off creaking sounds when they contract

3) It is really children playing with marbles.

Some readers suggested it could be golf balls.. Hahaha.. didn't know golfers like to toy with their balls in the middle of the night. It is almost as rare as children playing marbles mah.
    marbles got 2 sizes, one is those small one in clear glass with colour patterns, the other is super big one, about tripple the size of the small one, usually in white. maybe its the big one?

Reader posted in Straits Times few days ago..

Another forum, some also mentioned about sound of dragging of furnitures from upstairs.. I've experience both till today even thought I've moved many times. Anyone experienced before? Or may be have any explanation?

p.s. Where to buy marbles and who is playing with it nowadays?? hmm..
    Yes, i heard furniture banging itself againt the wall when i lived at Bedok last time. Now my new flat at sengkang also got but i got to find out that the occupants above got a dog that kicks the stones from the small fountain.

I've read other forums about this too. And some rule out that it may be due to "gui kia" playing with marbles at night or its the structure of the HDB flat, marbles are put into the walls for the walls to expand and contract.

If you all is more interested, can go to www.sfogs.com to read out more! =)

Quote Originally Posted by simon80
    the marble dropping sounds was create when the pipes expands and contracts ..

this was discussed in some other forums but I am not sure how accurate was it.
    Another possibility for marble dropping sound is the sound of the upstrairs Luo Han fish dropping a stone/marble. The neighbour upstairs think he can win 4D by keeping people awake at night.

919956g
    Guests

Default Oooiii!!

WAHHHH!!!! such strange things? NVM ....KENNA also upstair kenna only mah.......no worry........

and for that guy who say that he went upstair to check and realise its two old folks......check again.....u sure they are living beings???

but why are all the marble dropping sound happening in hdb flats only? why not condos?
    i used to experience the marble dropping sound and furniture dragging sound when i stayed in hdb...but after i move to my current condo...i never heard all these again...
    dont tell me condo and hdb use different concrete hor...and i know my area is pretty haunted...near to the infamous old ford factory...
    near dairy farm...near hillview mansion...

the sunday times were merely quoting HDB...no answers were available...only assumptions...when i saw the cover, i was at first excited..."finally HDB speaks up!?"

then after reading the article..."CHEH"...

they are juz repeating what been mentioned online every where else...in forums, websites...nobody had actually made a serious true investigation where the noises come from.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

has anybody made a recording of these 'noises'??

maybe can analysis them.. backmask them .. whatever.. who knows , there might be a hidden message...

how does it sound like... tiak tiak tiak ... or tiak tiak tiak tiaktiak tiaktiak

Quote Originally Posted by Caspere
    My kids has this bag of marbles. They use to play it by dropping from a height and let it bounce until it stops. Now they still do it occasionally for our baby to chase around. Of course, the kids also push and drag the furniture around so they can get to the marbles and play some more.

I guess I must be the one screwing with my neighbors' mind... So far nobody came to complain. I hope they are ok.

i don't want to tell you how to discipline your children, but really, you should put them to bed earlier and not let them play with marbles in the middle of the night.

Quote Originally Posted by Stereobox
    has anybody made a recording of these 'noises'??

maybe can analysis them.. backmask them .. whatever.. who knows , there might be a hidden message...

how does it sound like... tiak tiak tiak ... or tiak tiak tiak tiaktiak tiaktiak
    May be is morse code?

Quote Originally Posted by Stereobox
    i don't want to tell you how to discipline your children, but really, you should put them to bed earlier and not let them play with marbles in the middle of the night.
    who knows... maybe kids nowadays have an association for marble dropping... secret codes for the kids...

den kid A will message the other kids on the same blocks... HAVE YOU DROPPED YOUR BALLS TODAY?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

A few years ago (I was still a student then), an old Malay woman came up to my door and keep scolding us for making noises. She called the Police many times and they keep coming to my house to investigate. I invited them in and xplained that we are not making any noises. When the policemen gets frustrated, they told me to tahan the old woman as she a bit 'off'wire liao.

Imagine, that in 1 block, there are at least 10 level.
    And on each level on average, there are 6 unit.
    And there's hundred (or thousands?) such a block island wide.

So let's say one of the owner out of 10 blocks hear such noise and reporting the problem,
    it creates a sensation that the problem is heard accross singapore.

It's normal to hear such problem (with whatever explanation behind it). If it's super natural thing, I really wonder why so many ghost doing the same at the same time? haha. Don't they have better and more creative thing to do?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast