View Poll Results: Sound of Dropping Marble / Dragging Furnitures?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nope.. Never for both

7 6.73%
  • Dropping Marble - Yes

32 30.77%
  • Dragging Furnitures - Yes

3 2.88%
  • Both Yes!

62 59.62%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Living in HDB: Ever heard marble dropped in the night?

I used to live on the top storey...i still hear marbles below!

Now i moved to Punggol, i hear chairs/furniture moving!

I have stayed in HDB in two different parts of Singapore, and at nite I have heard both sounds as mentioned. Was really shocked when I saw the letter at FORUM page, thought I was the only one imagining things. My initial suspicion is that the sound came from uneven water/air pressure build-up in pipes in the HDB walls, what theory the rest of you have ??

I also got heard marbles dropping but the reason is the children upstairs playing with it, later they move house then nothing happen.As for the moving furniture, it is still the same... someone move it.btw why some HBD flats have & some does'nt have?! strange, i thought they use similar material?

Quote Originally Posted by Jek
    remembered sumthing....
    think that it is usually those that stay near the lifts area hear the marbles droppin....
    do u guys live near the lift area?
    These days, no more marbles - it is probably GOLF balls. And they play with several balls at a time!
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

Quote Originally Posted by smallaperture
    These days, no more marbles - it is probably GOLF balls. And they play with several balls at a time!
    ya.. nowadays cant buy any marbles

Quote Originally Posted by betazone
    I have stayed in HDB in two different parts of Singapore, and at nite I have heard both sounds as mentioned. Was really shocked when I saw the letter at FORUM page, thought I was the only one imagining things. My initial suspicion is that the sound came from uneven water/air pressure build-up in pipes in the HDB walls, what theory the rest of you have ??
    AFAIK, all the pipes and wirings are exposed, that is to say, run outside the structure and walls. They are not concealed for easy maintenance and construction and keep the cost low. So, cannot be water or air pressure building up inside. Just to keep things straight.

One suggestion though, go stay in a landed property - virtually no one stays above you literally, except for some 'squatters' between the false ceiling and the roof, like birds, insects and even mice and cats.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

Top floor 3rm HDB, never hear such sounds. Only neighbour's caughing sound - sometime can last the whole night, pity him.

Quote Originally Posted by West_ray
    hey now u mentioned it, i realised that i'm not the only one. at first i really tot the sounds were made by my neighbour living above me ... hmm ... now i think otherwise ..

BTW, anyone living at highest floor and encounter the same sound?? if so ....... hahahahha ..... u know i know ....

hmmm..
    i've heard that some contractors who believe in the occult deliberately mixed some marbles into their cement. They believe that imps will play with the marbles instead of playing tricks on the occupants.

i only hear moans upstair, but once i shouted and it was gone.

Deregistered

i wonder what it's caused by too. but i dont remember anyone dying in the unit above mine, since my family moved in when the block was completed 20 years ago...

My marble sounds come in two forms:

a) Sounds like someone dropping a few marbles on the floor
    b) Sounds like someone spilling a whole lot of ball bearings across the floor

I used to think that i was the only one losing my marbles, but looks like it's a common occurence in Singapore.

P.S Just as i'm typing this, category B just happened.

I have a friend who often heard furniture moving late at night from upstairs.
    Unable to take it anymore one day, he went up only to realise that all the units above his are unoccupied.......

I heard mostly a few marbles droping.... But not very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Ah_Seng
    I have a friend who often heard furniture moving late at night from upstairs.
    Unable to take it anymore one day, he went up only to realise that all the units above his are unoccupied.......
    I think moving furniture in Singapore...i can still tahan. I spent 6yrs in North America, and you can imagine what it's like when apartments are built using wood. My neighbour upstairs had dogs and kids; kids like to stomp and dogs bark naturally.

Trust me fellas. You ain't heard nothin' yet.

Quote Originally Posted by cosycatus
    hmmm..
    i've heard that some contractors who believe in the occult deliberately mixed some marbles into their cement. They believe that imps will play with the marbles instead of playing tricks on the occupants.
    yeah i heard about this too
    not sure if its true
    but real scary if it is...

Quote Originally Posted by Ayumi
    yeah i heard about this too
    not sure if its true
    but real scary if it is...
    Yeah.. heard of this story too.. The other explanation that I can think of is young kids that refuse to sleep in the night, they play with their toys and purposely drop their plastic ball to hear the noise created.

As for the dragging.. I still don't understand why someone do it so often in the middle of the night.

You guys think too much la. Marbles, who got? I do! Just bring a whole box of it from my mum house to my new house

Sound like marble but it might be those crystal dropping on the floor and therefore, creating similiar sound as marble. In the end, all of us thought it is marble. Why I know? Becos I did drop some crystal before and they do sounded like marble.

So, don't think much la. If you didn't do bad things, scare what?
    Last edited by BBTM; 10th June 2005 at 11:41 PM.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

always hear them when i was living in a 3 room flat in ang mo kio

Quote Originally Posted by BBTM
    You guys think too much la. Marbles, who got? I do! Just bring a whole box of it from my mum house to my new house

Sound like marble but it might be those crystal dropping on the floor and therefore, creating similiar sound as marble. In the end, all of us thought it is marble. Why I know? Becos I did drop some crystal before and they do sounded like marble.

So, don't think much la. If you didn't do bad things, scare what?
    When was the last time you dropped your marble on the floor in the middle of the night?

If once or twice may be.. but it seem that it happens to many people many times.

Quote Originally Posted by simon80
    the marble dropping sounds was create when the pipes expands and contracts ..

this was discussed in some other forums but I am not sure how accurate was it.
    not when it IS exactly like a marble, sound getting faster and faster then it comes to rest on the floor... shucks, i have no idea what i'm hearing these days, and true enough, which kid plays with marbles these days...
    Canon 300D, 30D, 5D. 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast