Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

Thread: PC vs mAC

  1. #1

    Default PC vs mAC

    I'm not sure if this has been discussed before in this forum but I'd like to ask anyone out there if they can tell me the basic or vast difference between a MAC and Windows where PhotoShop is concerned.
    Actually I was told that a software like Photoshop or any graphics software works better on the Mac so let's leave the comparisons to only this and not go into details like the operating system details and all that (unless absolutely necessary).
    I'm using Windows now and am thinking of switching if its worth it.

    Please can anyone tell me? Esp those who have gone from one system to the other....

    Thanks very much.

    melvin

  2. #2

    Default

    I've used PS for Mac G3 and G4 for a short while (back in PS 6 & 7) and I'm primarily a PC user, so take my comments with a pinch of salt. Nevertheless, still want to share my experience.

    IIRC, Mac OS X has better colour management (built into OS) compared to Windows; other than that performance-wise I'm pretty much convinced that there's not much of a difference, with all other things being the same (hardware specs). The probablity of a crash is more or less the same for both systems.

    Functionality-wise Photoshop is the same for both OS, so it makes little sense to switch over to Mac given the captial cost you have to plunge into getting the new hardware, software and time needed to get used to the new system.
    Last edited by Ah Pao; 10th June 2005 at 12:47 PM.

  3. #3
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    I like the style and design of mac

    But I don't like it's prices.

  4. #4
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

  5. #5

    Default

    visit the "Switcher's Den" for opininons from people who have or are going to make the switch

    http://www.macusersg.org/forums/index.php

    i have switched. and never looked back. it's not as expensive as you think.

    i run a ibook G4 12" with 768MB RAM, cost me under $2000.

  6. #6

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by Earendill
    Actually I was told that a software like Photoshop or any graphics software works better on the Mac so let's leave the comparisons to only this and not go into details like the operating system details and all that (unless absolutely necessary).

    melvin
    I am curious: In what way were you 'told' that PS or graphics apps work better on a Mac than a PC?

    BTW, Barefeats (a Mac site) has some PS benchmarks from earlier this year

    http://www.barefeats.com/macvpc.html

    The tests seem pretty fair - they are all handtimed. I wish there was more info wrt actual hardware configs of each system though. You should do a cost/performance analysis when you look at each of the tested systems (especially, do your own BBAB* estimate). A P4 3.06 (which is what I am running) is pretty run of the mill these days.

    Oh yeah, I was a long time Mac user (first computer - Mac Classic II) who went the PC way during the OS 8.6 fiasco. There's really no difference for me whether I run a PC or a Mac in terms of actual suitably to task. PS works much the same way on both PC and Macs. Color Management was a non issue from the clunky 98SE onwards. XP has proven to be both stable and convenient for me since migrating from 2000.

    But Macs are generally prettier and that could be a consideration. Plus you get to join a fanatical cult!


    *BBAB = Built By Ah Beng
    Last edited by kahheng; 10th June 2005 at 02:09 PM.

  7. #7

    Default

    i read somewhere, izzit here ? that Mac is going to be run by intel processer >< or at least that is from what i understand. If this is so, you might want to wait for a while more, there might be possibility that Mac running on PC =)

    Ya, Mac seems *nicer (appearance)

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Cocteau Twins
    Posts
    2,116

    Default

    macs are for computer illiterates who can't or can't be bothered to find out or take care of how their own computer works.

    well, ok, not all.

    you see, macs are always marketed to people who are into 'design' or first-time users and not towards hardcore computer users.

  9. #9
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stereobox
    macs are for computer illiterates who can't or can't be bothered to find out or take care of how their own computer works.

    well, ok, not all.

    you see, macs are always marketed to people who are into 'design' or first-time users and not towards hardcore computer users.
    not true, i can strip a PC/MAC and reassemble it myself.
    I also know my way around DOS

    and nowadays with OSX and the more advanced users can also thinker with code.

  10. #10
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leeter
    i read somewhere, izzit here ? that Mac is going to be run by intel processer >< or at least that is from what i understand. If this is so, you might want to wait for a while more, there might be possibility that Mac running on PC =)

    Ya, Mac seems *nicer (appearance)
    yes it is true,

    read this "Apple to Use Intel Microprocessors Beginning in 2006"
    http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/jun/06intel.html

    and this "What the Apple Plan To Switch to Intel Chips Means for Consumers"
    http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/ptech-20050609.html

    and yes it is more beautiful

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ah Pao
    I've used PS for Mac G3 and G4 for a short while (back in PS 6 & 7) and I'm primarily a PC user, so take my comments with a pinch of salt. Nevertheless, still want to share my experience.

    IIRC, Mac OS X has better colour management (built into OS) compared to Windows; other than that performance-wise I'm pretty much convinced that there's not much of a difference, with all other things being the same (hardware specs). The probablity of a crash is more or less the same for both systems.
    Functionality-wise Photoshop is the same for both OS, so it makes little sense to switch over to Mac given the captial cost you have to plunge into getting the new hardware, software and time needed to get used to the new system.
    I'm using both PC and Mac and I'm sorry but I'm not too sure about that.
    I've been using Mac for the last 3 years and I've yet to have it crash on me. Both the ibook and the powerbook. Execpt the one time when I mishandled it ( I was moving around with the mac while the harddisk was still spinning ). For the PC, I've lost count of the times it crashed on me.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yqt
    I'm using both PC and Mac and I'm sorry but I'm not too sure about that.
    I've been using Mac for the last 3 years and I've yet to have it crash on me. Both the ibook and the powerbook. Execpt the one time when I mishandled it ( I was moving around with the mac while the harddisk was still spinning ). For the PC, I've lost count of the times it crashed on me.
    My suspicion is that if you run a PC in one similar way to how most people run their Macs, as in NOT to frequently install unnecessary or bloated crap (e.g., Symantec apps), your PC will hardly crash either.

    The other thing is that most Mac models are pretty well made (there have of course been pretty dodgy production runs every now and then as well), and if one chooses to buy a quality PC from a reasonably reputable brand, or build your own from quality parts, I fail to see why anyone can't have a very stable PC as well.

    My Windows desktop and IBM laptop hardly ever crashes. Actually I can't recall when was the last time either did, and I have had them for over 1.5 years if not longer. My previous machines are just as stable.

    I'd imagine most computer paranoids or neophytes to be better off running Macs simply because there's just less self-inflicted 'damage' they can do to their Macs in terms of software (there's just less stuff written for OSX by default for them to install and 'play' with).

    I often laugh at this friend of mine because every now and then he'll tell me that he's got major PC problems because his son has installed this and that new app that has caused problems with his computer. The last time, he even lost his internet connection, which was really really funny to me.
    Last edited by kahheng; 10th June 2005 at 03:43 PM.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kahheng
    My suspicion is that if you run a PC in one similar way to how most people run their Macs, as in NOT install unnecessary or bloated crap (e.g., Symantec apps), your PC will hardly crash either.

    The other thing is that most Mac models are pretty well made (there have of course been pretty dodgy production runs every now and then as well), and if one chooses to buy a quality PC from a reasonably reputable brand, or build your own from quality parts, I fail to see why anyone can't have a very stable PC as well.

    My Windows desktop and IBM laptop hardly ever crashes. Actually I can't recall when was the last time either did, and I have had them for over 1.5 years if not longer. My previous machines are just as stable.

    I'd imagine most computer paranoids or neophytes to be better off running Macs simply because there's just less self-inflicted 'damage' they can do to their Macs in terms of software (there's just less stuff written for OSX by default for them to install and 'play' with).

    I often laugh at this friend of mine because every now and then he'll tell me that he's got major PC problems because his son has installed this and that new app that has caused problems with his computer. The last time, he even lost his internet connection, which was really really funny to me.
    I've never really look at it from this angle and I guess you may be right. Another reason may be that most computer virus is written for PC.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

  14. #14
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    not forgeting adware and spyware

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,750

    Default

    Thanks for the info. I'll try it and I'm sure it'll work.
    I think we better not OT too much here. Not very nice to the thread starter, after all he/she wanted to know about running PS on PC and Mac and not how to prevent virus attack.
    Thank kahheng.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kahheng
    In that case I shall delete my previous post
    Hey! that's not what I mean!
    But I'm sure you're joking, right?
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near the Equator
    Posts
    1,255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stereobox
    macs are for computer illiterates who can't or can't be bothered to find out or take care of how their own computer works.

    well, ok, not all.

    you see, macs are always marketed to people who are into 'design' or first-time users and not towards hardcore computer users.
    I built my own PC and I'm also a proud owner of a Mac..things change as you move on in life..i no longer have the urge to get my bare hands and do my own PC upgrade than when I was in JC.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Joo Chiat, Singapore
    Posts
    215

    Default

    I am a powerbook user.
    but sadly, now is not the time to buy mac because, as mentioned earlier, Apple is switching to Intel chips which will mean that current powerPC-based macs will be software-compatibility-obsolete come 2007.

    i'd still recommend OS X, though, because of its ease of use and because generally less people use mac so it's not economically viable for hackers/crackers to program viruses/adware/spyware for mac platform. so it's safer, for now.

  19. #19

    Default Thanks

    Thanks everyone for your comments and advice. I am well informed now.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Beyond Space-Time Continuum
    Posts
    6,324

    Default

    I kept a pretty streamlined PC before. Office and PS and WMP. But then within a year I had to spend a lot of time replacing parts and reinstalling the OS due to failure, viruses and stuff.

    Now that I switched over, I have yet to look back and think about my choice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •