Thread: Which camera should I choose?

Default Which camera should I choose?

Hi all, I am taking up photography as a new hobby this year in 2014 partly to spend more time with my wife (she's always been interested in photography, but as she has a chronic illness resulting in difficulty moving around, she needs someone to bring her to various locations to shoot - instead of just being the chauffeur, I figured I could use this as a common hobby to spend more time together), and partly because I discovered my previous "shaky hands" condition has improved and I am now able to handle a camera without my hands shaking (probably due to my reduced coffee intake now).

My wife is interested in nature photography and macros (birds, butterflies and to a smaller extent scenic shots), and by preference uses a Sony HX300 Superzoom bridge camera. For myself, aside from accompanying her to shoot nature, I am also interested in documenting my other hobby via photography - the other hobby is aquariums. My requirements in this aspect of the hobby require both wide angle (to capture shots of my entire fish tanks) and zoom/macro (to capture shots of my fish). My preference is for an interchangeable lens camera. The camera/lenses I purchase will require the breadth to be able to take all of the above mentioned shots.

Based on the above requirements, I intend to start off with the following 2 lenses:

1. Versatile lens such as the Canon 18-135mm or Nikon 18-140mm; and
    2. Macro lens such as the Canon 100mm or Tamron 90mm (these are the recommended lenses for fish macro photography on an aquarium forum I read)

After much reading, I have narrowed my choices down to the following few, and I would like to seek your advice on which would be the best choice for me to purchase. I will try to add a short paragraph for each choice to explain my thought process as to the pros and cons for each selection so that you will be able to understand my requirements and thought process better.

1. 2nd hand Canon 600d with 18-55 kit lens + New Canon 18-135 lens: This is a unique selection because my sister wants to switch to a mirrorless camera (DSLRs are too large and heavy for her) and it would kind of be a favour to her if I were to take this option as she's too lazy to find a buyer to sell it. At the price she's letting go, the camera + lens would cost only $200 less than buying option 2 (Canon 700d with Kit 2), as I wouldn't need the 18-55 kit lens with the 18-135mm purchase. Concern I have is that being a newbie, I do not know how to inspect the body and lens properly. She bought the 600d in 2011 when it just launched and has kept it out in the open for the past 2+ years. The lens has been sitting in a tupperware box without silica gel. However, the good thing about this is that shutter count is low - she's probably taken less than 500 shots (and that is a generous estimate). Benefit of this option and option 2 is that they come with inbuilt wireless flash controllers, which would save me the cost of buying ST-E2/ST-E3 or equivalent flash controllers. Based on sharing by other fish photographers I know, it is hugely beneficial to use top-down wireless flashes when taking macro shots to bring out the colour of the fish, plus front on flash will reflect off the fish tank glass.

2. Brand new Canon 700d with Kit 2 (18-135mm) lens: As mentioned above, this is only $200 more than the above option, and everything is brand new with some improvements in the body. Based on dpreview's review, it seems that the improvements in the body are not very significant. The ones to take note of are touch screen (probably not much use to me), WiFi (can be overcome using Eye-Fi or FlashAir SDcards), Digic 5 and more AF points using crosses. Are the improvements of the 700d (plus benefit of brand new and not having to check for fungus) worth the $200 (and my sister's goodwill haha)? Additional benefit as mentioned above is the inbuilt flash controller.

3. Brand new Nikon d5300 with Kit 2 (18-140) lens: This is also only $200 more than option 1. Dpreview recommended this camera over the Canon 700d, plus I like the red body (looks like iron man!) haha. Other than that, not really sure what else this option brings over option 2 above. Downside would be the lack of inbuilt flash controller which would require me to buy the Speedlite Commander.

4. Brand new Sony SLT A65 with SAL18135 lens: Benefit of Sony is that IS is built within the body, which means I don't need to look for it in a lens. As mentioned above, I do have slight hand shake problem, but I don't know the extent it may affect my phototaking now that it has improved. The EVF is also quite useful for continuous macro shots. However, I have heard that Sony A mount may not have as much support as E mount, which doesn't affect me much now, but may in the future. As with the Nikon, I will need to buy a flash controller of some sort (I can't find a Sony brand flash controller on Sony website).

5. Brand new Sony Nex-5T or Nex-6 with SEL1650 and SEL55210 lenses: Portability portability portability. Plus, mirrorless is supposed to be the future, so starting to collect lenses for mirrorless mount (i.e. Nex mount in this case) isn't a bad thing. Problem is the inconvenience of switching between lenses for wide angle and zoom (unlike the 18-135/140mm lenses that the others have). Also lacking a good macro lens, as Sony only has a 30mm one available for the E mount. Concern also with autofocusing on fast moving fish, as aquarium shooting will likely be in low light, thus making the hybrid AF less reliable. I will also need to buy some form of flash controller.

Which of the above do you think would be best for me?

I understand that I can buy 2nd hand for any of the other options, but unless it's helping my sis out I do not like purchasing 2nd hand goods as a rule, especially since (as mentioned above) I don't know how to check properly. I also understand that there may be many other mirrorless options, but personal preference - I would like an APS-C sensor.

Appreciate your recommendations on the 5 choices above!
    Last edited by illumnae; 13th January 2014 at 05:10 PM.

Default Re: Which camera should I choose?

Please have a look at the sticky threads. You can find additional information about decision making as well as inspection of second hand items.
    The gap between all your listed DSLR is very narrow and not worth spending too much thoughts on it. Go to any shop (we have a list in our price guide section), have a look and feel session with the camera models you have in mind.
    Regarding flash controller: There are also third party models ranging from simple flash triggers (requiring manual flash settings on the offshoe flash) up to wireless TTL solutions. Important here is what you need. The lack of any built in controller should not be a showstopper.
    EOS

Deregistered

hi illumnae,

i hope i can help with some ideas

#1 - borrow instead of buying the 600d (and if you really like it after a month or two, then buy it) ... since your sister isn't using it anyway =)
    #2 - hold off on the 18-135 purchase first, until you really find the need to have it
    #3 - a good but lightweight tripod would be useful to consider
    #4 - a remote trigger would be useful to consider

tiltable screen (like the one on 600d should be a key criteria)

my guess is after using the 600d for awhile, you will know whether it's good enough for what you need or whether you need to go for other systems instead

My suggestion is to check out the sony RX10.

Its not a interchangeable lens camera. But it can do what u want to do, macro, landscape, telephoto all in one lens.

Furthermore, the constant f2.8 zoom means it has better light gathering capabilities than many of the DSLRs and kit lenses that u mentioned. In fact, you may not need the shallow depth of field that these DSLRs can offer by nature of their slightly larger sensor.

And while its quite a chunky camera, its still smaller than a DSLR with a slow kit 18-135mm. With IS and its f2.8 lens, u also face less issues with camera shake.

Tripod and circular polarising filters are also essential for your aquarium photography.

The rx10 is pricier than some of the DSLR kits out there and it's a "compact", but I don't see you going professional and having the need to keep upgrading and buying specialty lenses, so I think this is worth a consideration.
    hi

Thank you all for your suggestions and feedback. I have already read the stickies on choosing a camera, which is how I narrowed my choices down to the ones above. I have already borrowed my sister's 600d to play with over a weekend and I am ok with it, but not fair to her to take it for long while the value drops. If I don't take it, I'll ask her to try and sell it elsewhere. I will also look into the Sony RX10 (I did consider the RX100 before), but at the moment I'm quite set on an interchangeable lens camera.

I think I will remove the Nikon D5300 from my list of choices after further consideration.

I think perhaps my initial post was too generic, and I'll try to condense my queries into specific questions:

(a) I opened the 2nd hand 600d up and notice some white spots (not dust, larger than dust) on the plastic, not the sensor itself. Would that be fungus? Would it be recommended that if I notice such spots, I should send the camera to Canon for cleaning/servicing? No cleaning and servicing has been done to the camera since purchase 2 years ago, and the camera has been stored out in the open all this while.

(b) How much of an improvement is Digic 5 over Digic 4? Is it very noticeable? Canon marketing material makes it seem like a huge improvement, but well...marketing is marketing. Likewise for cross type AF sensors (700d) vs non-cross type (600d).

(c) Given my previous shaky hands problem, which has improved but I'm not certain is gone for good, would I require the in-body IS provided by the Sony so that I am not limited in lens choice (i.e. MUST choose IS lens and pay more per lens because of that), or is the huge range of Canon lenses compared to Sony lenses sufficient to make up for it? This is a point raised in one of the stickies by Rashkae, but I don't think an answer or recommendation actually came out of it in relation to the actual difference between in-body IS and lens IS.

(d) Is LiveView autofocus on Sony SLT cameras really as fast as typical SLRs with OVF, or is this just a marketing claim? Given how skittish fish can be, using Liveview while being physically further away from the fish tank helps in trickier shots and this would thus be a benefit.

(e) Do you think the slower AF on the Nex series (5T or 6 - with hybrid AF) would be sufficient for moving objects in lower light situations (fish tank photography), or should I stick with pure phase detection AF?

I'm leaning either towards a Sony SLT at the moment based on my requirements or the 600d to help my sister out if there's really no difference; but I think answers to the above questions would definitely help me decide/

Quote Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
    Thank you all for your suggestions and feedback. I have already read the stickies on choosing a camera, which is how I narrowed my choices down to the ones above. I have already borrowed my sister's 600d to play with over a weekend and I am ok with it, but not fair to her to take it for long while the value drops. If I don't take it, I'll ask her to try and sell it elsewhere. I will also look into the Sony RX10 (I did consider the RX100 before), but at the moment I'm quite set on an interchangeable lens camera.

I think I will remove the Nikon D5300 from my list of choices after further consideration.

I think perhaps my initial post was too generic, and I'll try to condense my queries into specific questions:

(a) I opened the 2nd hand 600d up and notice some white spots (not dust, larger than dust) on the plastic, not the sensor itself. Would that be fungus? Would it be recommended that if I notice such spots, I should send the camera to Canon for cleaning/servicing? No cleaning and servicing has been done to the camera since purchase 2 years ago, and the camera has been stored out in the open all this while.

(b) How much of an improvement is Digic 5 over Digic 4? Is it very noticeable? Canon marketing material makes it seem like a huge improvement, but well...marketing is marketing. Likewise for cross type AF sensors (700d) vs non-cross type (600d).

(c) Given my previous shaky hands problem, which has improved but I'm not certain is gone for good, would I require the in-body IS provided by the Sony so that I am not limited in lens choice (i.e. MUST choose IS lens and pay more per lens because of that), or is the huge range of Canon lenses compared to Sony lenses sufficient to make up for it? This is a point raised in one of the stickies by Rashkae, but I don't think an answer or recommendation actually came out of it in relation to the actual difference between in-body IS and lens IS.

(d) Is LiveView autofocus on Sony SLT cameras really as fast as typical SLRs with OVF, or is this just a marketing claim? Given how skittish fish can be, using Liveview while being physically further away from the fish tank helps in trickier shots and this would thus be a benefit.

(e) Do you think the slower AF on the Nex series (5T or 6 - with hybrid AF) would be sufficient for moving objects in lower light situations (fish tank photography), or should I stick with pure phase detection AF?

I'm leaning either towards a Sony SLT at the moment based on my requirements or the 600d to help my sister out if there's really no difference; but I think answers to the above questions would definitely help me decide/
    Sony SLT AF is definitely as fast as OVF focusing with dedicated phase detect af modules, for most practical purposes. NEX focusing isn't as shabby as what other ppl has been saying, still quite ok for most purposes. Most other DSLRs have crappy liveview focusing relatively, with the exception of the latest canon 70D.

Focusing also boils down to lenses. larger aperture lenses will give u faster focusing in general as they allow more light to hit the af sensors. Most slow kit lenses aren't gonna be nearly as fast as those fix aperture zooms or primes. And when shooting thru glass (aquarium), chances are most cameras will hunt or miss focus more often than not due to a difference in interfaces, in fact sometimes PDAF knows that the glass is there and will focus on the glass and not the subject beyond the glass.

If you really must go into DSLR photography and anal about focusing, you really need good (fast) lenses. If not, go for "compact" models like the RX10 that I've suggested as most compacts thrash DSLRs in focusing (because it's easier to focus with smaller sensors)

Just my 2cents. Not all will agree.
    Last edited by silvermoon1407; 14th January 2014 at 01:14 PM.
    hi

From your description it sounds as if fungus used the chance to grow on the camera. I would recommend servicing with CSC. It will also increase the resale value if the cam is clean, fungus infested gear hardly gets any buyers. I hope the fungus has not done further damage to the optical surfaces, it can eat into the coating of lenses.
    (b)[...]Likewise for cross type AF sensors (700d) vs non-cross type (600d).
    Single type AF sensors are only sensitive to contrast patterns in one orientation (horizontal or vertical). Which means, depending on the AF point(s) used and the patterns of your subject it can turn out difficult for the AF system to lock focus. Cross type AF sensors do have a significant advantage. Cross-type AF sensors are sensitive to horizontal and vertical patterns, making it faster and more reliable to lock focus. It also eliminates workarounds like 'focus & recompose' or switching to manual focus (which is really not a good idea for AF lenses due to the very short throw from MFD to Infinity).
    But then again, still objects usually give more time to setup and focus whereas fast moving objects (e.g. sports, events) really require a good AF system to lock focus.
    EOS

If macro photography is one of your key requirements, and if you also want to be able to shoot macro hand-held occasionally, I believe lens IS will be better than in-body IS, as the image viewed from the view finder for lens IS will not be shaky. I am not very sure about EVF and live view result for in-body IS, so you might want to borrow or rent a sony camera with the macro lens of the focal length you want to find out.

Just my two cents worth.

Thank you all for your advice. I've decided to go ahead with my sister's 600d and send it to CSC for servicing for peace of mind. Hope to be able to start shooting soon!

So the good news is that CSC did a check of the camera body and lens and advised me that no servicing or cleaning is required. I guess the white spots I saw were just dirt

I would now like to ask for some further advice in relation to lenses and accessories.

For accessories, I intend to get a dry cabinet, blower, lens pen, bag and flash. Anything else I need to get? For the dry cabinet, how many litre should I get if the cabinet has to store my wife's Sony HX300 as well? MSC recommended me to get the simple digicabi without precise RH setting. Is there a huge difference getting one where I can set the RH? In relation to flash, I intend to get a speedlite that I can attach to the camera for normal walkabout and can be detached and controlled wirelessly by the 600d for aquarium shots. Looking at the 430EXII as it is affordable compared to the 580 and 600.

For lenses, I've been playing around with the kit 18-55 and find it insufficient to shoot my small skittish fish. I have to get too close in to get a good close up shot and that scares them away. For this, I'm looking at a Tamron 90mm or Sigma 105mm macro lens. The Canon 100mm L is beyond my budget and I need IS due to my shaky hand problem (I tried switching IS off on the 18-55 and it didn't go well). Which of the above 2 lenses is better? The macro lens can be used for insects or still macros too when out shooting with my wife. For a walkabout zoom lens, my wife likes to take wildlife shots, and I feel 55mm won't cut it for such shots, especially birds. Would it be worth getting the Canon 18-135, Canon 18-200 or Tamron 18-270 for this purpose? Or should I get a 55-250 or 70-300 (non L) and switch lenses on the go?

Sorry for so many questions, but I'd really appreciate your advice!

So the good news is that CSC did a check of the camera body and lens and advised me that no servicing or cleaning is required. I guess the white spots I saw were just dirt

I would now like to ask for some further advice in relation to lenses and accessories.

For accessories, I intend to get a dry cabinet, blower, lens pen, bag and flash. Anything else I need to get? For the dry cabinet, how many litre should I get if the cabinet has to store my wife's Sony HX300 as well? MSC recommended me to get the simple digicabi without precise RH setting. Is there a huge difference getting one where I can set the RH? In relation to flash, I intend to get a speedlite that I can attach to the camera for normal walkabout and can be detached and controlled wirelessly by the 600d for aquarium shots. Looking at the 430EXII as it is affordable compared to the 580 and 600.

For lenses, I've been playing around with the kit 18-55 and find it insufficient to shoot my small skittish fish. I have to get too close in to get a good close up shot and that scares them away. For this, I'm looking at a Tamron 90mm or Sigma 105mm macro lens. The Canon 100mm L is beyond my budget and I need IS due to my shaky hand problem (I tried switching IS off on the 18-55 and it didn't go well). Which of the above 2 lenses is better? The macro lens can be used for insects or still macros too when out shooting with my wife. For a walkabout zoom lens, my wife likes to take wildlife shots, and I feel 55mm won't cut it for such shots, especially birds. Would it be worth getting the Canon 18-135, Canon 18-200 or Tamron 18-270 for this purpose? Or should I get a 55-250 or 70-300 (non L) and switch lenses on the go?

Sorry for so many questions, but I'd really appreciate your advice!
    For accessories, other than the dry cabinet, lens pen, blower, bag and flash, I thing you need a tripod + tripod head and a remote control (wired or wireless are okay). What tripod to get would depend on your uses and your camera + lens + accessories weigh (multiply by 3). A few brands that you could looked into are Benro, fotopro and Sirui for the budget ones, spend more and you can looked into Manfrotto and Gitzo.

Oh... you might want to get ND filters and CPL filters too.

As for the lenses... you can get the Sigma 17-70mm with flash, pretty good lens to play with. If you have shaky hand problem... use the tripod.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    For accessories, other than the dry cabinet, lens pen, blower, bag and flash, I thing you need a tripod + tripod head and a remote control (wired or wireless are okay). What tripod to get would depend on your uses and your camera + lens + accessories weigh (multiply by 3). A few brands that you could looked into are Benro, fotopro and Sirui for the budget ones, spend more and you can looked into Manfrotto and Gitzo.

Oh... you might want to get ND filters and CPL filters too.

As for the lenses... you can get the Sigma 17-70mm with flash, pretty good lens to play with. If you have shaky hand problem... use the tripod.
    Thank you for your advice! For the tripod, I have a doc one that came with the camera initially from Challenger. MSC advised me to play around with it first to find out what I need before coming back to get a better one. I will get the remote.

For lens, would 70mm be enough for walk around to catch nature shots including birds? One other thought I had was to get a Canon 15-85 as I read that it is highly recommended, then save awhile more if needed for a 70-300 to add on. Would this be better than the other options above?

How about the macro lens for my aquarium fish and insects/stills? Also not needed if I get a better zoom?

Thank you for your advice! For the tripod, I have a doc one that came with the camera initially from Challenger. MSC advised me to play around with it first to find out what I need before coming back to get a better one. I will get the remote.

For lens, would 70mm be enough for walk around to catch nature shots including birds? One other thought I had was to get a Canon 15-85 as I read that it is highly recommended, then save awhile more if needed for a 70-300 to add on. Would this be better than the other options above?

How about the macro lens for my aquarium fish and insects/stills? Also not needed if I get a better zoom?
    I use my 17-70mm most of the time, however, it might not be enough if you wanted to shoot birds, unless you can get really close. Yes, 15-85mm is a great lens, but again, if you are thinking of birding... it is not really enough. I would actually recommend the 55-250mm (which is a great lens, light and very good IQ). Just stay with your 18-55mm, plus a 55-250mm, and you should be set for most things. I survived with my 55-250mm for quite a while before upgrading to the 70-200mm f4L.

For macro lenses, you can consider the old Canon 100mm f2.8 (not the L version). Note that this lens doesn't has IS built in, for me, I find it pretty okay, but can be a bit tough if you have shaky hand, and you need your tripod.

Actually before getting the Canon 430EXII, I would really recommend the Yongnuo 565EX. It is very close to the 580EX (do almost everything and is more powerful than the 430EX) plus it is even cheaper (by around half the price)... a Yongnuo 565EX cost only around S$2xx from artworkfoto and is very reliable. I have one (the first generation) and had been using it ever since... and recently I am thinking of getting another.
    Last edited by rhino123; 21st January 2014 at 04:00 PM.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Hi bro, may I know if ur fish tank has gotten its own lightings?
    Eg, t5, mh or led?
    U mite wanna try buying close up filters(plus minus $10)to try out 1st,being able to zoom on ur fishes
    is important for framing fishes.
    I don't usually uses flash for fishes as the color don't come out as natural,
    But I've got t5 + led lights, so I usually pump up ISO to not more den 1k,
    Play with ur w/b if ur aquarium is running blue lights.
    O ya, do check out ur "10X zoom video mode", tink only 600D has got this feature,not too sure,
    It's freaking fun, but do remember such zooming is best use on a sturdy tripod

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    I use my 17-70mm most of the time, however, it might not be enough if you wanted to shoot birds, unless you can get really close. Yes, 15-85mm is a great lens, but again, if you are thinking of birding... it is not really enough. I would actually recommend the 55-250mm (which is a great lens, light and very good IQ). Just stay with your 18-55mm, plus a 55-250mm, and you should be set for most things. I survived with my 55-250mm for quite a while before upgrading to the 70-200mm f4L.

For macro lenses, you can consider the old Canon 100mm f2.8 (not the L version). Note that this lens doesn't has IS built in, for me, I find it pretty okay, but can be a bit tough if you have shaky hand, and you need your tripod.

Actually before getting the Canon 430EXII, I would really recommend the Yongnuo 565EX. It is very close to the 580EX (do almost everything and is more powerful than the 430EX) plus it is even cheaper (by around half the price)... a Yongnuo 565EX cost only around S$2xx from artworkfoto and is very reliable. I have one (the first generation) and had been using it ever since... and recently I am thinking of getting another.
    A friend is lending me his 55-250 lens to try out. If it works out I will get one too, very affordable!

I did end up getting the Canon 100mm macro (non L) as I couldn't afford the L. Played with it for about 10+ shots last night only (it was late) and liked what I saw . I ended up getting a 430 exii though, as MSC advised me to stick with Canon original flashes if I'm doing ettl wireless via my 600d. Not sure why though. For future flashes do I have to stick with Canon or can I get the Yongnuo to group with the 430 in a single channel?

Quote Originally Posted by fatbike View Post
    Hi bro, may I know if ur fish tank has gotten its own lightings?
    Eg, t5, mh or led?
    U mite wanna try buying close up filters(plus minus $10)to try out 1st,being able to zoom on ur fishes
    is important for framing fishes.
    I don't usually uses flash for fishes as the color don't come out as natural,
    But I've got t5 + led lights, so I usually pump up ISO to not more den 1k,
    Play with ur w/b if ur aquarium is running blue lights.
    O ya, do check out ur "10X zoom video mode", tink only 600D has got this feature,not too sure,
    It's freaking fun, but do remember such zooming is best use on a sturdy tripod
    I'm using led lights on all my tanks For macro shots I've been advised that overhead flash brings out accurate colors in the fish.

Blog Entries

Thank you gents for helping out illumnae ..... much appreciated
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Yes thank you all very very much for your help and advice, you really helped my start into the hobby be a smooth one! Here are some shots I took yesterday and today. Still a long way to go of course, but I think not bad for one who is a total noob with 0 prior experience. Please don't be too harsh with your criticisms!

I will be bringing my wife to the Botanical Gardens this weekend for a walkabout shoot

Yes thank you all very very much for your help and advice, you really helped my start into the hobby be a smooth one! Here are some shots I took yesterday and today. Still a long way to go of course, but I think not bad for one who is a total noob with 0 prior experience. Please don't be too harsh with your criticisms!
    I will be bringing my wife to the Botanical Gardens this weekend for a walkabout shoot
    For feedback and general discussions about the pics please use the gallery sections.
    You can start being your own harshest critic. What do you like about these shots, what not? Why did certain shots turn out to be good or bad? What can do do to make it better?
    Read about the basics in the sticky threads, read the camera manual. Learn what the camera is actually doing so that you know how to influence it according your needs. Keep in mind: the camera does not see a fish, it only sees light and dark and colours. On top of that comes some fast calculating electronics and a preload of algorithms, trying to guess what you want to do. Replace the guesswork with your intentions and input
    EOS

Yes thank you all very very much for your help and advice, you really helped my start into the hobby be a smooth one! Here are some shots I took yesterday and today. Still a long way to go of course, but I think not bad for one who is a total noob with 0 prior experience. Please don't be too harsh with your criticisms! I will be bringing my wife to the Botanical Gardens this weekend for a walkabout shoot
    Wow nice pics for a start! Hope you can accompany your wife more often!! <3