View Poll Results: Will you be mad if stranger commented that your pics SUCK?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

26 29.55%
  • No.

62 70.45%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can you take it when stranger comment your pics SUCK?

Quote Originally Posted by SnapSnap
    Actually getting a, "This picture sucks!" is much much better then getting no feedback at all... I've posted photos for comments and have not gotten any... maybe people don't even want to look at it...

True...sometimes get tons of views but no comment.

So good or not? So bad till not worth commenting? Or so good till speechless???

YES i can take it when ppl tell me my photos suck too, coz personally not many of my photos have passed the level of self critic,

baseline.i tink my photos suck in certain aspects haha.... even if someone comes up and tells me so, he's juz reminding me anyway ahha...

well...i'd probably not tink much of a person who tells me tt my photos suck and fullstop, without telling me where the prob lies and how to work on it. end of the day, he may juz be another "troll"... constructive comments would be very welcome however..

cheers....

american idol provides many excellent examples of useful and useless comments. why is simon cowell generally regarded as the best judge? it's because he gets it right most of the time, and calls a spade a spade. sometimes his comment is a harsh "it was terrible", sometimes it is constructive, "you should have picked a better song", sometimes he is even generous with his praise, "i think you will outsell all the previous winners of american idol." on the other hand, paula abdul is generally considered the weakest judge who either echoes randy's comments or just says something banal and nice.

the same applies to photography. just becos someone commented "your pic sucks" doesn't immediately make it a useless negative comment. it all depends on the pattern of comments dispensed by this person in the past. if every comment given by him to various photographers is invariably harsh or invariably saccharine, i would tend to dismiss him as a useless "paula abdul"-type critic. however, if that person has a record of accurately assessing the strengths and weaknesses of a photograph, then he is a "simon cowell" of the photography world and even a comment such as "your pic sucks" would be more than welcome by me as i know it is pretty darn close to the truth.
    Last edited by zaren; 11th June 2005 at 03:13 AM.

Just to share... I did come across such comments from my sincere friends, who no photography interests (ordinary viewer).

When I show my early pictures taken from a IXus 330 P&S and some latest from D70.
    What I got was:
    - "no much different leh!, Which one from your Nikon D70 huh?"

When I show some "half body" portrait pics.
    - "how come the rest in the background blur blur, not sharp leh, cannot see the things behind lah."

When I show her pictures taken by me during a group outing.
    - "not nice lah. me so fat you also want to take picture of me!"

And lastly.
    - "that's all huh? so little picture to see?!"
    (In fact, when I asking them to take picture...everyone camera shy and runs away)

In such situation, how should I react?!
    I guess my pictures really sucks

Cheers!
    Canon 40D|17-55 f/2.8 IS|100 f/2.8 Macro|135 f/2L|300 f/4L IS|430ex|BG-E2

Quote Originally Posted by ST_sg
    Just to share... I did come across such comments from my sincere friends, who no photography interests (ordinary viewer).

When I show my early pictures taken from a IXus 330 P&S and some latest from D70.
    What I got was:

- "how come the rest in the background blur blur, not sharp leh, cannot see the things behind lah."

And lastly.
    (In fact, when I asking them to take picture...everyone camera shy and runs away)

Cheers!
    I will just smile. Say thank you. And never show this person my images again.

I hear what he/she says. But my evaluation is that this person is "empty" - as far as seeing images are concern.

Quote Originally Posted by student
    I will just smile. Say thank you. And never show this person my images again.

I hear what he/she says. But my evaluation is that this person is "empty" - as far as seeing images are concern.
    ya... sometimes, really can't predict what people say about your works. Espcially photographs. They are too used to P&S and having impression that, everything must include inside the picture, and everything must be sharp. In a way that, they don't know how to translate "sharp" in photography?!

Different people have different "taste"...
    And it would be very good feeling and rewarding, if you find someone would appreciate and have the same "taste" as you in your photography.

ya... sometimes, really can't predict what people say about your works. Espcially photographs. They are too used to P&S and having impression that, everything must include inside the picture, and everything must be sharp. In a way that, they don't know how to translate "sharp" in photography?!

Different people have different "taste"...
    And it would be very good feeling and rewarding, if you find someone would appreciate and have the same "taste" as you in your photography.
    Maybe your frens (who knows nothing about photography) simply just don't have taste to appreciate a decent photo. In other words, bad taste.

lucky u. at least you receive sincere comments.

What I got was:
    just goes to show that a 2mp or 6mp digital camera doesn't matter much, at least for 4R prints. having a DSLR doesn't automatically give you better photos, this comment should spur you on to unleash the full potential of your D70.

not all portraits work best with blurred backgrounds. sometimes the background details give a context to the portrait and enhances the photograph. explain to your friend what you are trying to achieve (i.e. blur the distracting and worthless background), who knows? she may be suitably enlightened and change her opinion about your photo.

Learn to read between the lines here. The photo may be perfect in terms of focus and exposure, but has failed to show the subject/model in the best possible light. Take it as a challenge to improve next time with more effective angles, colours and composition. No woman would object to a photograph of her that makes her look like a million bucks.

And lastly.
    Just laugh it off and say "i am aiming for quality rather than quantity mah!"

Cheers!
    React with humility, good grace and an open mind. Your pictures don't really suck, but like the rest of us, there is always room for improvement. keep shooting!
    Last edited by zaren; 11th June 2005 at 03:01 PM.

zaren has given really good advise

ST_sg: girls saying they look fat in photos is STANDARD! and some pple say that 80% of humans really do look fatter in photos, it's not a verified figure, but from my experience, yeah it seems correct. of course there are angles that will make a person look better, as zaren has mentioned, so all u gonna have to do is keep shooting and find these angles. if you're shooting the same person(s) regularly (like ur group of friends) then with each gathering, you would improve. can u imagine shooting different pple EVERY time, like in events, weddings, studio/outdoor portraits.. then that's even more challenging.

with regards to your friends telling u "huh? boh liow ar? so little"... next time.. just go out with them dun bring camera, probably they'll miss your photos and wonder, or even ask, why u didn't bring your camera, to which u can say to them "skarli i shoot u look fat then not nice also rite, like last time" and give them a smirk. ahahha.. then u say, "ok lar, next time i bring the cam out u must pose nicely for me ok? cannot be shy."

I think comments saying that my pics suxs are good. At least I know what to work on. I would think that the comment is sincere, rather than just saying "ok lor"
    If you understand my works, it's photography. If you don't, it's art.
    SplutterPhotography|flickr

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    lucky u. at least you receive sincere comments.

just goes to show that a 2mp or 6mp digital camera doesn't matter much, at least for 4R prints. having a DSLR doesn't automatically give you better photos, this comment should spur you on to unleash the full potential of your D70.
    I show her the pictures on screen, the noise level, the contrast, the skin tone color, the handshake effect due to low light shot without flash from my early IXUS 330 shots, which I really didn't know what is white balance, digital post-processing,... my early day.

not all portraits work best with blurred backgrounds. sometimes the background details give a context to the portrait and enhances the photograph. explain to your friend what you are trying to achieve (i.e. blur the distracting and worthless background), who knows? she may be suitably enlightened and change her opinion about your photo.

Learn to read between the lines here. The photo may be perfect in terms of focus and exposure, but has failed to show the subject/model in the best possible light. Take it as a challenge to improve next time with more effective angles, colours and composition. No woman would object to a photograph of her that makes her look like a million bucks.
    The snaps were mainly their half-body shots, initially they don't even want me to take photos. She and my other friend walk in front and I was chasing them with my camera. so, 1 shot 1 kill thats what I can do.

Just laugh it off and say "i am aiming for quality rather than quantity mah!"

React with humility, good grace and an open mind. Your pictures don't really suck, but like the rest of us, there is always room for improvement. keep shooting!
    Ya, she don't even want to pose, and I don't even have chance to snap at different angle and such... They thought take one picture and it gonna be award winning picture.

When she comments about her photos that time, I told her, there are lots of factors involve, camera tricks and preparation efforts to put in place for a good looking portraiture. Just a casual pose with 1 shot, how to make it like a coverpage type of quality leh?!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by jOhO
    zaren has given really good advise

ST_sg: girls saying they look fat in photos is STANDARD! and some pple say that 80% of humans really do look fatter in photos, it's not a verified figure, but from my experience, yeah it seems correct. of course there are angles that will make a person look better, as zaren has mentioned, so all u gonna have to do is keep shooting and find these angles. if you're shooting the same person(s) regularly (like ur group of friends) then with each gathering, you would improve. can u imagine shooting different pple EVERY time, like in events, weddings, studio/outdoor portraits.. then that's even more challenging.

with regards to your friends telling u "huh? boh liow ar? so little"... next time.. just go out with them dun bring camera, probably they'll miss your photos and wonder, or even ask, why u didn't bring your camera, to which u can say to them "skarli i shoot u look fat then not nice also rite, like last time" and give them a smirk. ahahha.. then u say, "ok lar, next time i bring the cam out u must pose nicely for me ok? cannot be shy."
    ya, I took her comments seriously and strive my best for every shot, hope one day she see my works and say, "that's what I call a photograph"

Thanks for revealing the fact that girls do look fatter on photo.

depends if the person is "reputable" or not.

there are so many trolls here that come in and JUST give such comments. everyone sux to them. so how?

anyway to address your topic, i think it could hurt if one really loved what he has shot, and proudly post it up and someone guns him down.

so yeah... initial reaction hurt? eheh or some bad-tempered one will be angry? but after initial reaction, it's always good to sit back and ponder....

ponder on how stupid a person can just say LOUSY, and that's it. doesn't help at all.
    Oh yeah, thats so true. I usually feel hurt in the beginning then I'll ponder and ask myself - did the guy actually just blast the picture or give constructive comments? And if the guy's pix are actually quite bad itself... well... not much weight on words so i won't be bothered
    Budget wedding photographer :)

I show her the pictures on screen, the noise level, the contrast, the skin tone color, the handshake effect due to low light shot without flash from my early IXUS 330 shots, which I really didn't know what is white balance, digital post-processing,... my early day.
    Surprisingly, she is not alone. My wife for example likes some photos that I have taken that look blurry due to camera shake, but with nice composition and makes her look good. However, she can tell whether the pic is sharp or not, and whether the colours are accurate. What this should tell us as photographers is that people have varying degrees of tolerance to noise level, blurriness etc. Now that you are more proficient with your camera, you should be able to take technically better pics already.

The snaps were mainly their half-body shots, initially they don't even want me to take photos. She and my other friend walk in front and I was chasing them with my camera. so, 1 shot 1 kill thats what I can do.
    Good learning point here when shooting candids. It helps to have a willing subject! Make them feel comfortable with you photograph them, and the pics will come. 1 shot 1 kill will very rarely yield the best photo, so learn from the national geographic photogs and use your camera as a "sketchbook". with a D70 it's easy becos you can always delete the unwanted pics later. Work the subject, try diff angles, and if the subject is unwilling, shoot something else. I'm sure you have many other opportunities during a group outing to shoot for example other people that you meet, interesting scenes, unusual objects etc. Be resourceful as well as creative.

Ya, she don't even want to pose, and I don't even have chance to snap at different angle and such... They thought take one picture and it gonna be award winning picture.
    Unrealistic expectations from her, so you don't need to worry about it. However, what you can try next time is to take more time to think and plan your shot since you only have 1 shot, and maybe try something different from what you have shot before. Don't need to keep shooting from the same angle and focal length.

When she comments about her photos that time, I told her, there are lots of factors involve, camera tricks and preparation efforts to put in place for a good looking portraiture. Just a casual pose with 1 shot, how to make it like a coverpage type of quality leh?! Cheers!
    Well said! Anyway, can still use that as a challenge to improve. Next time when you take the shot, see whether it turned out better than the one taken last time. Although it's 1 shot 1 kill, the 1 shot can still be an improvement.

Personally, If u are juz going to tell me that I suck without saying y to help me improve, Ill probably have to juz smile and take whatever u say with a pinch of salt. A picture with no critique posted probably is a lot more deafening - speaks a lot abt the strength of the shot in general (not trying to insult anyone, I got a ton of those , which speaks volumes of my inadequecy in different subject areas) .

OT, reading this thread reminds me of this posting in dpreview
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=13829296

Thanks Zaren for your kind advise.

Always admire your street candids. Hope can learn more tricks from you

That's Auntie Zaren. I am the nephew....

All of us are stangers on the net unless of course you have met them before. The funny thing is after you have met them in person and become friends, is your comment going to be same as before?

Will your POV (Point of View) change?

In Lenswork magazine, there was an article about how some photographers get into the trap of making images that only other photographers can appreciate. I think that's quite true. There are some things that we photographer quibble or rave about, but that the public in general doesn't bother about. Things like resolution, color cast, etc...

So, it is useful for us to seriously consider the comments of newbies, strangers, even if they are not constructive. Comments like 'this sucks' at least tells you that your picture does not work, or is not nice to them. So what about their ignorance of photographic values? A rose is a rose (and an ugly rose is an ugly rose), even if it is sharp, well composed, etc.

thx ST_sg, sure of course, anytime!

I find that all my photos suck, no perfect photo yet le

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast