View Poll Results: Will you be mad if stranger commented that your pics SUCK?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

26 29.55%
  • No.

62 70.45%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can you take it when stranger comment your pics SUCK?

I dun mind criticisms with proper constructive comments to enable me to improve my stuff.

But I mind intentional criticisms, criticising for the sake of it or anyone who's absolutely inexperienced (u can know frm the way he says. Like "Not sharp" and full stop)

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    true.

if some guy off the street (figuratively speaking) just come up to me and say the pic suck, i'll most probably try not to cause bodily harm onto him and ignore his comment.

however, if its joHo (for example ) who said the same thing to me, i'll be very happy cos at least my pics are worthy of his attention to comment!

*now... for those who dun get the drift, just ignore my over-exaggerated example*
    really tok kok...

Quote Originally Posted by binbeto
    Agree totally. There are troll everywhere including here.. However, there are also enough people who will comments "nice" regardless if the pic is nice or not to counter-balance them.

If the person feel the pic is lousy but can't speak his mind or put them into words. We can't just label them as stupid mah.

Most of the time, if a person find a particular dish horrible. Henot be able to give the reason why. It just taste bad to him..
    yeah i guess you're right too.. but i dunno leh, i feel if you're just gonna say "lousy" (or to that effect) without explaining why, or even trying, then my as well don't post?

then again, comments like "good!" and that's it also dun help much (except maybe the photographer's confidence - read Jed's comments above too) so that's... er that.

I can take it cause I'm still a newbie in the learning process. By commenting on the pics then I can learn.

Default I can take it...

... if it's from Simon Cowell. The guy is harsh, but honest-- like a mirror that shows one's every flaw. Of course, he is not God, his opinion is not THE opinion, but at least he doesn't do it out of spite or malice, it's just he's not the type to mince his words.

I find it not much difference when people use nicer language to say the same thing, instead of saying "it sucks", they say "it's very good but there is room for improvement"; instead of saying "it doesn't work", they say "it is appropriate for other situations but not for this situation", etc. After a while, I learn to read between the lines anyway, so why waste time couching your criticism in soft language? I'm a man, I can take it, and just because you don't like my work doesn't mean that you're right and I'm wrong (or I'm right and you're wrong). You have a right to your opinion, you have a right to express that opinion, and I also have a right to accept or reject or ignore that opinion as I see fit.

Of course, if you are a pro, the market is the ultimate test. If people buy your work, commission you to do more work, your billings increase year after year, then your critics can shut up. If you can't sell your work, then you have to decide if you want to do what you like, or what the market wants.

if you are willing to put up your photos for critique, you have to prepare yourself for all sorts of comments. just take note of the constructive ones and ignore the rubbish.

Well, that's is part and parcel of a public forum.

If I post something for feedback, I am prepared for the worst, if not what is the point of posting. Perhaps that pic is really sucks, and if he or she is able to point out what the mistakes are, then I will open my arm widely and will experiment it in different way next time....that's how I can improve

But of coz if someone just put remark "this is sucks", "this is no good" and no further elaboration, condemn just for the sack of condemn, then everyone knows what he is up to, there is really no point to get aggitated by that

Actually getting a, "This picture sucks!" is much much better then getting no feedback at all... I've posted photos for comments and have not gotten any... maybe people don't even want to look at it...

Blog Entries

i'd say if you want to post you would have to accept the good with the bad.
    If there is a special reason that you like the image, state it in your post so that the viewer will know and take it into consideration b4 commenting.

just my 2

Quote Originally Posted by cyberkid
    一笑置之!
    然后心里痛骂它祖宗十八代....

Quote Originally Posted by SnapSnap
    Actually getting a, "This picture sucks!" is much much better then getting no feedback at all... I've posted photos for comments and have not gotten any... maybe people don't even want to look at it...
    it is?

since when "silence means disapproval"?

Quote Originally Posted by waileong
    ... if it's from Simon Cowell. The guy is harsh, but honest-- like a mirror that shows one's every flaw. Of course, he is not God, his opinion is not THE opinion, but at least he doesn't do it out of spite or malice, it's just he's not the type to mince his words.
    He is into photography too?

Ya.. Actually, I am more happy that people will tell me straight.
    Rather than he use 40 sentences to do what 2 sentences can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by SnapSnap

For this statement.. Let me go search your pic and up it with "They SUCK!!".
    Hee hee..

If you are ok with comment from stranger, I will try to search your pic and put in my 2 frames worth..

Quote Originally Posted by binbeto
    For this statement.. Let me go search your pic and up it with "They SUCK!!".
    Hee hee..

If you are ok with comment from stranger, I will try to search your pic and put in my 2 frames worth..
    Thank you! Thank you! The points that you pointed out are the points that I did not see/ notice... I think that is the point of posting for comments. Different people see different things... Thank you for doing better than "you suck"...

I receive emails from my website that my photos suck and that all my equipments are wasted on me.

but strange enough, the person who commented dun leave his or her email address. instead, the email field is anon.

if he wants to comment, why not leave down his real email or give constructive comment rather than say something so general?

this is a great topic to talk about, especially when this is closely linked to, in certain aspects, forms of art like photography...and music.
    pictures that are put up in threads are often for comments to be given, and from there, improvements to be made..if one wants to post pictures, then one is inviting both pure critiscism which may be baseless to begin with. harsh, empty words.

in the same way, artists who just sing the songs that their recording companys plan and write the lyrics do not wholly immerse themselves in the act of making art. not just so, but also in being true to oneself. music is that that can truly reflect the outline of flow of thoughts in the artists mind, and allow the audience to, at the same time, grasp the vocal talent the artist has. not just plain, synthetic beats any synthesizer can reproduce.
    if we are so afraid of critisicm, for those who cannot take it, i suggest changing such mentality.
    the meaning of the picture greatly lies in the point of time where you have composed the photo to your own eye, not bearing in mind the praise you can possibly have or possibly not have, and squeeze the shutter release button. its being self evaluative of your own work and yet at the same time being numb but responsive to the perception of others.

more or less lah.

For me, I would accept it as long as the person that places the comment provides constructive criticisms

That depands on who give comments,if someone do take photo frequently,I accept,I someone that have not take picture for more than 5 years,he or she have no right give comment to my photo,he or she does have the qualification to give comments.

might not always be true. sometimes the people who give the best comments are those who don't know anything about photography. they tell you how they feel from their hearts. honest comments. and on the other end, you may get the most unconstructive comments from photographers - lots of examples in clubsnap. and speaking of rights, you just can't stop them can you?

Quote Originally Posted by sabahan
    That depands on who give comments,if someone do take photo frequently,I accept,I someone that have not take picture for more than 5 years,he or she have no right give comment to my photo,he or she does have the qualification to give comments.
    I will not be so restrictive here.

There are several types of comments.

One is technical/craft - composition, contrast, colors, tones etc. Of things like these, it will be better if the person giving comments have an idea of what he is talking about.

The other is visceral. You must remember the people who look at your photographs are not all photographers. In my workplace, 99% of the people are not photographers. Of these only a very small percentage are "artistically" inclined. Yet I show my images to them, just to see their responses. At the end, they are my images. But I will have the benefit of a lot of viewpoints. Very useful.

To me, everybody is qualified to give comments on my images. Even a child. Remember the story of the Emperor with no clothes? Sometimes such comments are more honest.

But I have to evaluate their comments, and decide what to make of them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast