Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a big diff compare being a singaporean, a pr, or a foreigner

Lightbulb

you missed the point. i am sure you did not originally come to singapore with the intent to work because of the draw of finding 'many good friends' here.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    Guys if you have the opportunity, you should try working in other countries as well.....to experience the big differance from Singapore.

I have work in Australia before. I am a Malaysian who works in Malaysia too. Now I am PR in Singapore. The best is to try out and you will feel the differance.

Alhough I do not get the privelage as a true Singaporean but I have too say that it's nice to work here as I have made many good friends.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf
    I don't see what's preventing you from renouncing your Singapore citizenship and applying for PR status.
    i can think of one reason. he may have compulsorily 'invested' 2 1/2 years of his youth in serving the country. he has earned his citizenship here. why should he give it up lightly?

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    i can think of one reason. he may have compulsorily 'invested' 2 1/2 years of his youth in serving the country. he has earned his citizenship here. why should he give it up lightly?
    Since PR status seems to be preferable over citizenship, I don't see how this would matter.

Did you know that male PRs under the age of 40, unless special circumstances apply, are subject to national service as well, without being granted citizenship for it? So much for "earning" ...

Quote Originally Posted by Phildate
    Reasons for working in Singapore: safe, clean, low corruption, low tax, low GST, central for travelling in the region and beyond, good salaries, good climate (if you like the warm!) to name a few.
    To a westerner who has enjoyed equality it might perhaps elude him that the single biggest drawing point Singapore has for its migrants would be its equality for higher education, schlolarships, advancement, employment whether in government or private, housing, business licenses irregardless of creed, colour of skin, race, religion or whatever.

I can't say this more emphatically.
    Last edited by Sion; 9th June 2005 at 10:47 PM.

Lightbulb

Since PR status seems to be preferable over citizenship, I don't see how this would matter.

Did you know that male PRs under the age of 40, unless special circumstances apply, are subject to national service as well, without being granted citizenship for it? So much for "earning" ...
    your ist para refers. your statement is probably valid from the perspective of a non-citizen here. for citizens here, they feel they are 'shortchanged' when compared to a pr here.

your 2nd para refers. not for 1st generation pr here.

your 2nd para refers. not for 1st generation pr here.
    No, only PRs under the PTS or investor's scheme are exempt. Under other schemes, even first generation PRs are subject to NS.

Keep in mind that PRs may end up doing NS both in Singapore and in their native countries. Some may also be taxed twice for their income - in Singapore and their home countries. I don't think there's a reason why Singaporeans need to feel short-changed.

Lightbulb

again, your 2nd para refers. one free ride is given by our govt. not more than once. our govt are not suckers.

Well, no one mentioned Housing, that is HDB flat. Good affordable housing. At one time, there was a long queue for it and of course there was some scheme in which citizens have got previlege. Now that there is some sort of glut, we all take it for granted. How about the housing grant, also taken for granted. PRs have to buy resale flats at market, meaning non-subsidised flats.

I know a friend who came about 12 years ago, got PR and bought a 3rm flat, then, sold it off after 3 years with some tidy profit and upgraded to a 5rm flat. Then, sold it off again after 3 years for a good profit and went back to China a WEALTHY man.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

I don't see what's preventing you from renouncing your Singapore citizenship and applying for PR status.
    i don't think that's possible, right?
    anyway, even if they do,
    i doubt i qualify,

just like those medically unfit males in NS,
    cannot sign on but still must serve.

in my 2 1/2 yrs of service and in 4 different camps,
    did not encounter a single PR.

is that a statistic to show the numbers of PRs actually served NS?

ps- met a few WHs, 2 did not even went thru BMT even thou they r fit,
    in fact, all they do is don no.3 and sit there the whole day reading papers.

aiyah.... generally speaking, in most countries I have been to, PR enjoy the same benifits as citizens except for voting rights.... Oops i forgot lots of people dun get to vote... anyways, there is also 1 advantage that PR dun enjoy. PR cannot wear white shirt and white pants with the logo of a circle and the lightning inside and give speech, let people give you garland and wave to the crowds...

Singaporean male: must serve NS 2 to 2.5 years and another 13 year cycle, some even continued to serve in civil defence
    2nd Gen PR: must serve NS. (provided they stay that long, if they do I believe they will rather be the above)

Singaporean: get to vote (provided its not walkover), if you don't vote you have lots of explanation to do
    PR and foreigner: get free holiday during voting day

Singaporean: get to buy new heavily subsidised HDB (provided combined salary is below $8K, married of course) otherwise can only buy resale HDB
    35 and above Single Singaporean: get to buy resale HDB
    PR: can only buy resale HDB
    recently, new unsold HDB (more than 5years) was sold as resale flat though at resale prices
    Foreigners: get to rent HDB

Singaporean: although Singapore wants to be an education HUB, but students here have to study very hard to enter into 1 of 3 (4) universities, but at subsidised fee. Therefore many go oversea to study, more expensive but usually easier (because most come back with First Class Honours from good U as well- so better job prospect)
    PR & foreigners: some have more choices because their own countries have lots of Universities, probably free or again subsidised fee. note some students in other nearby countries may be in worse situation than Singaporean students - with discrimination and all.

Singaporean: Depend on CPF for old age (however, medishield only cover up to a certain age)
    PR & Foreigner: Some may still enjoy pension in their country, anyway, if they contribute to CPF they can withdraw everything if they decide not to work in Singapore

Although the above don't sound too good, but hey, too bad you are born here, so get over it, and be positive, if you are negative, anywhere is also bad.

Singaporean: no matter what, this is still the country you are born in, no one can chase you out (at most ISA only lah if you are naughty-all countries have some forms of it anyway)
    PR & Foreigners: Status can be revoked anytime (remember the SIA pilot)

Singapore Court: Ruling made by 3 Judges
    Other countries: Some made by Jury or gun (freedom to own 1)

Singapore: Racial Harmony and little or no discrimination (provided you don't fly SIA according to some people. Come on, older generation singaporean are so shy, reserved and undemanding, how could the stewardess strike up a conversation, anyway the Foreigners are usually more demanding and vocal, so need to spend more effort to please them and get good ratings, afterall they will participate in Survey and let people know their feelings)

Anyway to answer your question, I believe the government recently commented that they need to have a greater differentiation for being a Singaporean (thanks to the SIA pilot). So you should know the answer, otherwise why is there such a comment.

I hope I did not offend anyone by saying all the above, if I do then I apologise and will take back any of the statement, anyway all the above are based on my understanding and may be wrong, so please do your own research.
    Last edited by pcwe68; 10th June 2005 at 12:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phildate
    Reasons for working in Singapore: safe, clean, low corruption, low tax, low GST, central for travelling in the region and beyond, good salaries, good climate (if you like the warm!) to name a few.

Guess I am speaking on behalf of all the Causcasians who are on CS - if they are anything like me they brush off the 'Ang Mo' comment but if you think about it, we are really quite tolerant of this. I don't think I have ever seen in this forum or any other photography forum a case where a particular race of people are given a nickname. In the West we would be harshly criticised for doing such a thing. Therefore I am suggesting we are quite tolerant whereas the poster of the quote seems to be very intolerant of foreigners in Singapore.
    To clarify, the Hokkien, Chinese dialect on "Ang Mo" is not a racist or derogatory in nature. It means 'Red Haired' as compared to black hair in most all Chinese. It is certain not as bad as the work 'Chink' used by Causcasians to term Asians.

And to the topic itself, the main differences is ARMY aka NS aka National Service but then the ladies excluded! No differences between all, all welcome to Singapore. All friends

Quote Originally Posted by Hommie
    .........And to the topic itself, the main differences is ARMY aka NS aka National Service but then the ladies excluded! No differences between all, all welcome to Singapore. All friends
    But ladies must serve as models in CS shoots right?

Quote Originally Posted by judeseah
    i don't think that's possible, right?
    I think it is. The ICA website specifically mentions the case of ex-citizen PRs.

Bad news: ex-citizen first-generation PRs are not exempt from NS, even under the PTS or investor scheme. (As another poster worded it so elegantly: the Singapore "govt are not suckers".)

But if you've already done your NS, that shouldn't make a difference, right?

you missed the point. i am sure you did not originally come to singapore with the intent to work because of the draw of finding 'many good friends' here.
    Hmm....actually you are wrong. I came here because it was convienient. I was staying just across the causeway. I had friends in Singapore long ago. Did not came here purposely because of them. What mentioned was the new friends I made when I came back from Melbourne.

Came here because as exchange rate was good. Plus there are more job opportunity in Singapore during 1998 period.

Quote Originally Posted by pcwe68
    Singaporean male: must serve NS 2 to 2.5 years and another 13 year cycle, some even continued to serve in civil defence
    2nd Gen PR: must serve NS. (provided they stay that long, if they do I believe they will rather be the above)

Singaporean: get to vote (provided its not walkover), if you don't vote you have lots of explanation to do
    PR and foreigner: get free holiday during voting day

Singaporean: get to buy new heavily subsidised HDB (provided combined salary is below $8K, married of course) otherwise can only buy resale HDB
    35 and above Single Singaporean: get to buy resale HDB
    PR: can only buy resale HDB
    recently, new unsold HDB (more than 5years) was sold as resale flat though at resale prices
    Foreigners: get to rent HDB

Singaporean: although Singapore wants to be an education HUB, but students here have to study very hard to enter into 1 of 3 (4) universities, but at subsidised fee. Therefore many go oversea to study, more expensive but usually easier (because most come back with First Class Honours from good U as well- so better job prospect)
    PR & foreigners: some have more choices because their own countries have lots of Universities, probably free or again subsidised fee. note some students in other nearby countries may be in worse situation than Singaporean students - with discrimination and all.

Singaporean: Depend on CPF for old age (however, medishield only cover up to a certain age)
    PR & Foreigner: Some may still enjoy pension in their country, anyway, if they contribute to CPF they can withdraw everything if they decide not to work in Singapore

Although the above don't sound too good, but hey, too bad you are born here, so get over it, and be positive, if you are negative, anywhere is also bad.

Singaporean: no matter what, this is still the country you are born in, no one can chase you out (at most ISA only lah if you are naughty-all countries have some forms of it anyway)
    PR & Foreigners: Status can be revoked anytime (remember the SIA pilot)

Singapore: Racial Harmony and little or no discrimination (provided you don't fly SIA according to some people. Come on, older generation singaporean are so shy, reserved and undemanding, how could the stewardess strike up a conversation, anyway the Foreigners are usually more demanding and vocal, so need to spend more effort to please them and get good ratings, afterall they will participate in Survey and let people know their feelings)

Anyway to answer your question, I believe the government recently commented that they need to have a greater differentiation for being a Singaporean (thanks to the SIA pilot). So you should know the answer, otherwise why is there such a comment.

I hope I did not offend anyone by saying all the above, if I do then I apologise and will take back any of the statement, anyway all the above are based on my understanding and may be wrong, so please do your own research.
    Wah long story bro but super clear cut. Still have time type huh........? Not busy with work issit?

Quote Originally Posted by Hommie
    To clarify, the Hokkien, Chinese dialect on "Ang Mo" is not a racist or derogatory in nature. It means 'Red Haired' as compared to black hair in most all Chinese. It is certain not as bad as the work 'Chink' used by Causcasians to term Asians.

And to the topic itself, the main differences is ARMY aka NS aka National Service but then the ladies excluded! No differences between all, all welcome to Singapore. All friends
    Yep true on what uncle hommie said.

I think it was when Singapore was under the British rule, there was quite a couple of so called "Ang Mohs" or Red Headed at that time. Ang Moh word is a dialect from Hokkien dialect. It's not Mandarin. Sorry Phil for that as I know you don't really fancy that word so much.

Well in the Stated, African Americans was once called "Negro" or "Nigger" or some other names which looks bad on them. Or how about the Aboriginal people in Australia......you will be surprise the names they called them......pretty bad.

So in Singapore I must say the terms Ang Moh somehow is still quite polite in a certain degree. Depends how you phrase it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    Well in the Stated, African Americans was once called "Negro" or "Nigger" or some other names which looks bad on them. Or how about the Aboriginal people in Australia......you will be surprise the names they called them......pretty bad.

So in Singapore I must say the terms Ang Moh somehow is still quite polite in a certain degree. Depends how you phrase it.
    I must hasten to add that I have not heard of any aboriginal in Australia being called "Pretty Bad".

What would incense many westerners is not Ang Moh but the extra word be it in Hokkien, Cantonese or Mandarin we add behind Ang Moh.

Quote Originally Posted by pcwe68
    I tot singapore has ruling based on 1 judge and only in special hearings will you have an odd number of judges?

I feel the jury system makes more sense sometimes than the sg system that looks at precedence cases where the judge just have to match the current case with another previous case and give his ruling. A bit of 'no brainer' to me..
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast