Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 59

Thread: Dry cabinet, silicon gel, time for fungul prevention.

  1. #1

    Question Dry cabinet, silicon gel, time for fungul prevention.

    A few quick questions.

    1) Does one turn on the electricity for the dry cabinet all the time?
    2) Some recomends a normal sealed container with silicon gels, where can I buy
    this silicon gel? What are their product names and manufacturers?
    3) How long does it take the funguls to grow? How to prevent them from growing?
    Right now I am storing my 350D fixed with one lens on, and the other lens with caps
    , in a camera bag. At this moment since my interest in photography is still high, so
    approximately I go out for one day trip with the camera each week. How large is the
    probability for fungul growth?

    Thank you.

  2. #2

    Default

    1) i turn it on all the time, the humidity will rise if you switch it off
    2) the product name is silica gel, don't have to bother about who is the manufacturer. you can get it from most camera shops, about $4-$5 for a can of 500g, i think
    3) don't think there is an absolute answer as to how long will it start growing, depends on humidity. with singapore's humidity, you will probably see fungus on your lenses after some time if you store them in your camera bag. better get a dry cabinet / box.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 3rd Rock
    Posts
    1,269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dRebelXT
    A few quick questions.

    1) Does one turn on the electricity for the dry cabinet all the time?
    2) Some recomends a normal sealed container with silicon gels, where can I buy
    this silicon gel? What are their product names and manufacturers?
    3) How long does it take the funguls to grow? How to prevent them from growing?
    Right now I am storing my 350D fixed with one lens on, and the other lens with caps
    , in a camera bag. At this moment since my interest in photography is still high, so
    approximately I go out for one day trip with the camera each week. How large is the
    probability for fungul growth?

    Thank you.

    If you want to sleep in peace and not worry about fungus, get a dry cabi or a DIY one with light blub attached is just as good, but be sure to have a RH% meter installed for monitoring purpose. Too dry or too moist can damage your lens and camera.

    Many camera shops sell silicon gel. If you don't mind the hassel of drying the silicon gel in the oven or get a new bottel, then this is an alternative solution.

  4. #4

    Default

    Thank you K C and jeffhiew.

  5. #5

    Default

    Does my storage scheme work? I suddenly realized that I had that box, so I just bought
    a bottle of blue silica gels, and placed some in a plastic bag. Does my scheme work?
    As shown:

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North
    Posts
    539

    Default

    To all silicon gel user:
    I would like to know, how much silicon gel do you guys put inside your box? Any calculations for ideal humidity? (eg. Box Volume(cm3) : Silison Gel (grams))

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Central Singapore (Tiong Bahru
    Posts
    643

    Default

    hilo... i jus bought a dry cabinet yesterday... at Carrefour PLaza Singapura...

    THe brand is digi-cabi and it cost about $99.00 30 L...

    works well and the setting i set is humidity level around 40%... u can lower it or higher it...

    y i bought it cos my fren bought it last last week n its working really well... there are also different types... so if u want to go PS to find out... near the cameras section...
    Simple Is Beautiful...

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Good old sunny s'pore
    Posts
    138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dRebelXT
    Does my storage scheme work? I suddenly realized that I had that box, so I just bought
    a bottle of blue silica gels, and placed some in a plastic bag. Does my scheme work?
    As shown:
    place them (silica gel) in a sock/stockings n tie the end up...it can better aid absortion of the moisture in the air....if u use this method...only con is that u cun really control the humidity to the preferred standard (40 -55). other than that it works as well in moisture absortion.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    258

    Default

    Hi bro..
    You will never be able to control your %RH when you are using silica gel.
    Too wet than fungus will grow... too dry than ESD charge will be generated.
    (think about it) ...
    $99 dry cabinet is much cheaper than your camera.
    It can protect your camera from dust and fungus.

    some tip: check for air leakage ? see how long can your "blue rice" be always
    blue before turn to be pink ...

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dRebelXT
    Does my storage scheme work? I suddenly realized that I had that box, so I just bought
    a bottle of blue silica gels, and placed some in a plastic bag. Does my scheme work?
    It would work as I had a SLR stored in a similar air tight plastic box for a long time before the dry cabinet. From my experiences, you need a bigger bag of silica gel than that shown above. Also consider using a small pin to make small holes on the plastic bag of silica gel.

  11. #11

    Default

    Thank you all.
    PLaza Singapura is behind Summerset MRT right?
    I used to remember there was a Carrefour in the shopping center attached to
    the Suntec, is it still there?

  12. #12

    Default

    Sorry to hijack this thread, can I pour the silicon gels into the drybox, say a thin layer to fill up the bottom? (size about the diagram shown above)

    I used to do it.

    Please advise. Thanks
    Canon 40D|17-55 f/2.8 IS|100 f/2.8 Macro|135 f/2L|300 f/4L IS|430ex|BG-E2

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ST_sg
    Sorry to hijack this thread, can I pour the silicon gels into the drybox, say a thin layer to fill up the bottom? (size about the diagram shown above)
    There could be some dust from the silica gel if done this way getting onto the gear stored. I would suggest that you line the bottom of the box and the silica gel layer with some soft cloth to minimise the dust effect.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freelancer
    There could be some dust from the silica gel if done this way getting onto the gear stored. I would suggest that you line the bottom of the box and the silica gel layer with some soft cloth to minimise the dust effect.
    Yeah lor. There will be dust. Better always put on lens caps.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North
    Posts
    539

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo...
    Hi bro..
    You will never be able to control your %RH when you are using silica gel.
    Too wet than fungus will grow... too dry than ESD charge will be generated.
    (think about it) ...
    $99 dry cabinet is much cheaper than your camera.
    It can protect your camera from dust and fungus.

    some tip: check for air leakage ? see how long can your "blue rice" be always
    blue before turn to be pink ...
    thanks. i agree with u ... a $99 box would be able to save thousands of ur lens dollar.

    any suggestions for a mobile guy? for example, one who always travel around and stay out for certain amount of days with no access to any dry cabi.

  16. #16

    Default Article

    Lotsa good info here... remember the average rel humidity in Singapore is 84.4% . Robert says......... buy the damn drybox!

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North
    Posts
    539

    Default

    good information u have there r52lanc. thanks.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 3rd Rock
    Posts
    1,269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by r52lanc
    Lotsa good info here... remember the average rel humidity in Singapore is 84.4% . Robert says......... buy the damn drybox!

    good reading material didn't know mould can also grow at below RH 20%

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Good old sunny s'pore
    Posts
    138

    Default

    mould cun grow below or near conditions such as RH20% .....the material indicated is 20 deg cel....just to inform all for as it may cos misunderstanding

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Good old sunny s'pore
    Posts
    138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ST_sg
    Sorry to hijack this thread, can I pour the silicon gels into the drybox, say a thin layer to fill up the bottom? (size about the diagram shown above)

    I used to do it.

    Please advise. Thanks
    Also silica gel will break into smaller pieces so if u pour it into the box without any container/restraint these bits n pieces may goes into the small gaps of ur photographic equipments. cos u more trouble in the end.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •