Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Which Lens for Food Photography?

  1. #1

    Cool Which Lens for Food Photography?

    Hello!

    I am planning to starting out on Food Photography, and have a Canon EOS DSLR.
    The current lens that i have are the 50mm f/1.8 and a 55-250mm f4-5.6

    I was planning to get a new macro lens and don't know which lens to buy as there are so many on the market. My uncle recommends me the Sigma 70mm f2.8, but i would like to get more advice first.

    Can you help me?

    Thanks and appreciate your help!

  2. #2
    Senior Member shierwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    3,334

    Default Re: Which Lens for Food Photography?


  3. #3

    Default Re: Which Lens for Food Photography?

    The iphone lens not bad. I been using that.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

  4. #4
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,392

    Default Re: Which Lens for Food Photography?

    What's wrong with the 50mm? What makes you think that you need a macro lens? Do some reading here in the forum, many guys also give details about the equipment they used, so you can directly see what works and conclude and decide for yourself.
    EOS

  5. #5

    Default Re: Which Lens for Food Photography?

    Tried a few lenses on Food photography and personally prefer 35mm F1.8 than any other lenses.

    50mm's a little too tight at eatery with limited space, for example some cafes in Hong Kong.

    70mm is totally out of the question for me. There is no need to get a Macro lens actually.

  6. #6

    Default

    I'm using Olympus e-pm2 with leica 45mm f2.8 ois macro 1:1
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: Which Lens for Food Photography?

    It depends how pro you want to be. From hobbyists like most of us, you will get wide variety of answers.

    Learn from a pro food photographer- Michael Ray who unselfishly shares his knowledge on the web free of charge.
    http://foodportfolio.com/blog/

    The Perfect 35mm Digital Food Photography Lens
    (Canon has a 90mm TS lens too)

    What's the best lens for food photography?

    The real thing.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 9th January 2014 at 11:38 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member dennisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Freezing Upp Thomson/Mandai!
    Posts
    2,008

    Default Re: Which Lens for Food Photography?

    Sigma 70mm f2.8? You'll need to shoot from the next table

  9. #9

    Default Re: Which Lens for Food Photography?

    Quote Originally Posted by dennisc View Post
    Sigma 70mm f2.8? You'll need to shoot from the next table
    I agree. I even feel that 50 and 55mm very tight for food photography.

    Singaporean restaurants and eating establishments are not known for their spaciousness...
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

  10. #10
    Senior Member alwaysjerricky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    +65
    Posts
    2,016

    Default

    Actually I think the 50mm lens is more than enough. It has good Depth of Field, fast in case of poor lighting and IQ is not bad.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Which Lens for Food Photography?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Lim Ding Xian View Post
    Hello!

    I am planning to starting out on Food Photography, and have a Canon EOS DSLR.
    The current lens that i have are the 50mm f/1.8 and a 55-250mm f4-5.6

    I was planning to get a new macro lens and don't know which lens to buy as there are so many on the market. My uncle recommends me the Sigma 70mm f2.8, but i would like to get more advice first.

    Can you help me?

    Thanks and appreciate your help!
    Depends if you're doing commercial work or doing for your own shots/sharing

    If commercial generally you'll need a telephoto lens so that there is not that much distortion of the food to be presented (which your 55-250 can fit the bill), and as important is the lighting, placement of food, food styling etc

    If more for your own documentation then any lens will do... your 50 f1.8 has an advantage in it's low light capabilities.

    I would suggest trying out with what you have first, or let us know what you think your current set up lacks so others can advice you accordingly (EVERY lens has it's pros and cons )

  12. #12
    Member holywing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,131

    Default Re: Which Lens for Food Photography?

    Quote Originally Posted by thoongeng View Post
    Depends if you're doing commercial work or doing for your own shots/sharing

    If commercial generally you'll need a telephoto lens so that there is not that much distortion of the food to be presented (which your 55-250 can fit the bill), and as important is the lighting, placement of food, food styling etc

    If more for your own documentation then any lens will do... your 50 f1.8 has an advantage in it's low light capabilities.

    I would suggest trying out with what you have first, or let us know what you think your current set up lacks so others can advice you accordingly (EVERY lens has it's pros and cons )
    for me I'm using 35mm f1.4 lens. cos sometimes beside food i also need some background.
    EOS 5D mark 2|carl zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 | 35L |Nissin Di622 Mark 2

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •