Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first photo assignments!

Given a choice, i'd go for a 16-35, 24-70 and 70-200 with my M7 as my film body. A couple of 1D2s and lots of memory and batts. Oh and at least 2x550ex. Standard press kit for me when i do event coverage. Depending on the nature of the event, i will then add to it accordingly. A laptop is always desirable but if you are going as part of a group, i'm sure someone will have one. Also, i dunno if you should bring a portable Hdd or more CFs really. I'd probably go with the latter since i'm not too comfortable with putting all my eggs in one basket.
    Oh, alternatively, get one of those stenowriters that write CF to CDs.

All the best for your trip!!

Henri would probably do this on his Leica M and a 50mm lens. Nice and light.

I recommend using the 70-200mm less, as Dennis has pointed out that it would be too impersonal. If you have a 85mmf1.8 or f1.2L, it would be fantastic.

Seriously, being bogged down by so much equipment would do no good to your photography. Frankly speaking, I would bring a 20mm, 35mm, 50mm and perhaps a 85 to 105mm lens. Your RZ67 should stay home with in your dry box.

Congrats. This is an opportunity not to be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by marcwang
    Henri would probably do this on his Leica M and a 50mm lens. Nice and light.

I recommend using the 70-200mm less, as Dennis has pointed out that it would be too impersonal. If you have a 85mmf1.8 or f1.2L, it would be fantastic.

Seriously, being bogged down by so much equipment would do no good to your photography. Frankly speaking, I would bring a 20mm, 35mm, 50mm and perhaps a 85 to 105mm lens. Your RZ67 should stay home with in your dry box.

Congrats. This is an opportunity not to be missed.
    Hi Marc,

Thanks for your input. Currently I only have the 17-40L, 50 f1.8 and my 70-200 f2.8L and the other are of no use (300mm f4L and 500mm f4L). I don't have the true portrait primes so the 70-200 will have to do... Gotta work around my equipment... I'm more concerned about getting the shots than looking at what to bring because there's little point in doing so. I'm bringing the least equipment as I can but also bearing in mind of the backups needed.

Cheers,
    Nick

PS: Oh yea, thanks for your comment in my pbase!
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

So far, a lot of advise about photographic equipment and technology preparations have been mentioned.

You will bve going into a rough area, with little or no back-up facilities, amenities or even a toilet to to business.

Apart from equipment and gear, I would suggest you look into ammasing a small, but crucial 1st aid / survival kit. Yes, the organisers may have made provisions, but if anything were to happen, you may be on your own for awhile.

I am not a survivalist or had experience in adventure/extreme hiking/excursions, so I can;t tell you what to put together, but i dare guess that it should include everything to cater to cuts and burns, bites, bone fractures, mild food poisioning, emergency rations, pain killers as well as ensuring that you are vaccinated against anything that may be prevalent in the area you're going into.

Hopefully, you will never need these, but if you do, you'll be very thankful for having brought it along.

All the best for this sad, but big adventure you're going on.

Oh yes, a totally mech rangefinder or SLR and a standard lens or a simple 35mm could also save your 'photographic' life!

Also, you would need to think 'outside' of the camera ... and look into any possible needs like a simple roll of duct tape. A lot of field gear for photographers consists of much less photographic equipment, and more back-up materials to address problems in the field - where all the action is.

Hi,

Thank you for your advice. Thankfully that has been catered for and also thanks to my survival training from my teachers. (My physics teacher is climbing some mountain in Nepal as we speak...)

Oh yeah, how much is a Pentax K1000 with a 50mm lens going for in S'pore? I found one here in Bangkok at around $220.

Cheers,
    Nick
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

the last time i saw is in CS B&S, K1000 + SMC 50mm f2 (8/10) by ratboy going for S$220

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...ighlight=k1000
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

congratulation for your milestone in photography.
    may you perserve in this demanding and emotionally challenging project.

all the best.

Quote Originally Posted by zekai
    congratulation for your milestone in photography.
    may you perserve in this demanding and emotionally challenging project.

all the best.
    Thanks for your good wishes. I will try my very best. Browsing all the NG mags and pics right now.

Hey guys, was thinking of changing my setup:

Lenses:
    1) 17-40L
    2) 50 f1.8
    3) 100mm f2.8 Macro

I think that would be a better setup, right? Lighter on my back too...

Cheers,
    Nick

oh yeah, sounds good spare batts, charger, cf cards etc! hehe
    Budget wedding photographer :)

Quote Originally Posted by nickmak
    Hey guys, was thinking of changing my setup:

Lenses:
    1) 17-40L
    2) 50 f1.8
    3) 100mm f2.8 Macro

I think that would be a better setup, right? Lighter on my back too...

Cheers,
    Nick
    yup, much better, now you are a lean mean machine gun, 8fps, dont plray plray.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

good luck and best wishes to your assignment. may the force (and photos) be with you.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

i'd still stick with the 70-200. Its really not that much more and it is also the only weatherproof lens of the lot. Allows you to shoot outdoors in the rain if you have to. After having had rain with us since the first day of life, it is quite amazing how it can still send humanity into a panic and make us do things so differently. U'd think that by now we'd have learn to live on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by szekiat
    i'd still stick with the 70-200. Its really not that much more and it is also the only weatherproof lens of the lot. Allows you to shoot outdoors in the rain if you have to. After having had rain with us since the first day of life, it is quite amazing how it can still send humanity into a panic and make us do things so differently. U'd think that by now we'd have learn to live on with it.
    Hi szekiat,

My 70-200mm f2.8L is the non-IS version with no water-proofing. I have not enough money to get the 24-70L so I might take a look at the sigma variant. If not, I'll stick to the 17-40L, 50mm, and consider which lens to bring.

Cheers,
    Nick

err, in that case stick to what you have. The gap from 50 to 70 is not that wide. Honestly, the 70-200 is quite light mate.

my opinion is same as szekiat, bring 70-200, you'll never know which are that you can't go near, in fact 70-200 is not that bulk and heavy.

100mm macro Auto focusing is not as fast as 70-200
    ubans.com

Hi, I'm glad you are involved in this charity work. Alot of the good people here are talking about the emothional aspects about this assignment. I think I shall throw in my 2 cents worth too. I was in Meulaboh, Aceh for about 3 weeks early this year for the Disaster relief ops. After countless briefings and whatnot, there is nothing that could have prepared me for the scenes that greet me. To see the ruins and devastations up close and personal was really too much for me to bear. Add to that scenes of dead bodies piled up everywhere, the stench, the wailing families of the dead, etc. It made me cry secretly at night.

I had my D70 with me and took about 2000 plus shots during my stay there and I realise that quite a few photos I've taken of the natives are those of children. Maybe its the way they seemed oblivous to the disaster that have struck them or they are just taking it in their stride.

Pm me if you want to see them, i think my work is too amatuerish to post here for all to see.

Just be strong mentally and do your work well. It would help a little if you were to read up on the subjects and area before hand so you could understand better.

Cheers! All the best!

I'm just going to play devil's advocate here and ask that you consider the alternative. Go in with a blank mind and let the scene overwhelm you. Often, we visit somewhere new having read about it, and hence subconsciously adopting the views and stances that the writer had. Go with a blank mind and let the emotions swell. those same emotions will often show in your photos and may give it a more touching feel to it, a more personal imput. Do not try and desensitive yourself or you will tend to gloss over some small details and avenues that you could have explored. 2c worth!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12