Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 66

Thread: [Rumour] OMD EM10 coming up?

  1. #1

  2. #2

    Default

    E-M10?
    Can't understand the rationale for their numbering sequence. Unless 10 is a new start of a series going like 10,11,12 etc with the pro range bring 1-9. But then again if its EM5 replacement...a bit wierd
    I have a near-mint Olympus E-620 Underwater Case for Sale. PM me for a great deal!

  3. #3
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,049

    Default Re: [Rumour] OMD EM10 coming up?

    Hmm... from what I see... it had the same sensor as the EM5, processor of EM1 and IBIS of EM1... And here I am... thinking that EM1 is the successor of EM5. Looked like I am terribly wrong.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: [Rumour] OMD EM10 coming up?

    haven't been following updates for a while since i bought GX1.. i was also confused about EM5 and EM1. i thought EM5 is the newer model. Anywayz i guess we can start expecting BnS to have more EM5 and EM1 coming up! =D

  5. #5
    Moderator keithwee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LittleRedDot
    Posts
    4,679

    Default

    Remember back in the old days with film SLRs ,

    OM1, OM2 , OM3 , OM4 were the flagship models while the OM10, OM20 and so on were the consumer models ?

    Hence EM1 and EM-x onwards will be flagship models while EM10 and EM-xx will be the consumer models. Hence if the rumors are true, Oly is actually sticking to its roots.

    Specs wise it's also follows this pattern with the EM-10 coming in with weaker specs than the EM-1.

    Hope I don't see a EP10 soon haha
    Last edited by keithwee; 2nd January 2014 at 02:44 PM.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: [Rumour] OMD EM10 coming up?

    yeah just read that its gonna be an entry level model.. replacing EM5 bah. EM1 owners can heave a sigh of relief i guess. EM5 owners can quickly sell =p

  7. #7
    Member iise7en's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    North-East Line
    Posts
    614

    Default Re: [Rumour] OMD EM10 coming up?

    Em-10 for this year? Maybe Em-15 for 2015 and EM-20 for 2016???
    I think I am contended enough with my EM5 and EM1. No more bodies for me. Only oncoming good lens for me.
    ØM­Ð EM-❶ & EM-❺ ELITE †12-40ƒ2.8† †50ƒ0.95† †35-100ƒ2.8† †45ƒ1.8† †75ƒ1.8†

  8. #8
    Moderator keithwee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LittleRedDot
    Posts
    4,679

    Default

    [QUOTE="iise7en;8719968"]Em-10 for this year? Maybe Em-15 for 2015 and EM-20 for 2016??? I think I am contended enough with my EM5 and EM1. No more bodies for me. Only oncoming good lens for me.[/QUOTE

    Yeap. Up to a certain point with upgrading bodies it's more about better glass.

    Anyway if u own the EM1 , not much of a point getting the EM10 too.

  9. #9
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,049

    Default Re: [Rumour] OMD EM10 coming up?

    Actually if the sensor is the same as EM5, IQ will not be that much superior as compared to the EM5, so I don't see the point upgrading the EM5 to EM10. EM10 in my opinion will only appeal to those who wanted to buy the EM-series of camera and find the EM1 too expensive.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  10. #10
    Member iise7en's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    North-East Line
    Posts
    614

    Default Re: [Rumour] OMD EM10 coming up?

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Actually if the sensor is the same as EM5, IQ will not be that much superior as compared to the EM5, so I don't see the point upgrading the EM5 to EM10. EM10 in my opinion will only appeal to those who wanted to buy the EM-series of camera and find the EM1 too expensive.
    Agreed! But I feel that Oly should make a big-leap improvements on better MP, better features/specs-wise, its handling, its menu system and especially the cost. No point keeping on carbon-copy system of E-M series all the way.
    ØM­Ð EM-❶ & EM-❺ ELITE †12-40ƒ2.8† †50ƒ0.95† †35-100ƒ2.8† †45ƒ1.8† †75ƒ1.8†

  11. #11

    Default Re: [Rumour] OMD EM10 coming up?

    Quote Originally Posted by keithwee View Post
    Remember back in the old days with film SLRs ,

    OM1, OM2 , OM3 , OM4 were the flagship models while the OM10, OM20 and so on were the consumer models ?

    Hence EM1 and EM-x onwards will be flagship models while EM10 and EM-xx will be the consumer models. Hence if the rumors are true, Oly is actually sticking to its roots.

    Specs wise it's also follows this pattern with the EM-10 coming in with weaker specs than the EM-1.

    Hope I don't see a EP10 soon haha
    Doesn't make much sense for Olympus to limit themselves to 9 pro and semi-pro models (EM-1 to EM-9). Back then, the OM-1 stayed in production for 15 years, 1972 - 1987. Nowadays, consumer electronics companies update model numbers every year or faster, and sometimes release identical devices with different model numbers in different markets. Much too limiting for Olympus to designate EM-xx as consumer models. If they wanted to do that they should at least start with EM-100 or even EM-1000 so that they can keep on changing model numbers without running out of numbers.

  12. #12
    Moderator keithwee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LittleRedDot
    Posts
    4,679

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nstclicks View Post
    Doesn't make much sense for Olympus to limit themselves to 9 pro and semi-pro models (EM-1 to EM-9). Back then, the OM-1 stayed in production for 15 years, 1972 - 1987. Nowadays, consumer electronics companies update model numbers every year or faster, and sometimes release identical devices with different model numbers in different markets. Much too limiting for Olympus to designate EM-xx as consumer models. If they wanted to do that they should at least start with EM-100 or even EM-1000 so that they can keep on changing model numbers without running out of numbers.
    Aren't we all just wildly guessing here trying to make some sense to the naming of the EM10?

    Call it EE or MM , doesn't really matter so long as Oly continues to produce cameras that keeps my loyalty towards it.

  13. #13

    Default

    According to rumor, EM10 is EM5 sensor with 3-axis IS + EM1 image processor.
    So seem like not a successor to EM5?

    So there are 3 categories of OMD?
    EM1
    EM5
    EM10...

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bllimus View Post
    According to rumor, EM10 is EM5 sensor with 3-axis IS + EM1 image processor.
    So seem like not a successor to EM5?

    So there are 3 categories of OMD?
    EM1
    EM5
    EM10...
    It simply means, that like the Nikon D700, it's a fluke.

  15. #15

    Default Re: [Rumour] OMD EM10 coming up?

    Quote Originally Posted by nstclicks View Post
    Doesn't make much sense for Olympus to limit themselves to 9 pro and semi-pro models (EM-1 to EM-9). Back then, the OM-1 stayed in production for 15 years, 1972 - 1987. Nowadays, consumer electronics companies update model numbers every year or faster, and sometimes release identical devices with different model numbers in different markets. Much too limiting for Olympus to designate EM-xx as consumer models. If they wanted to do that they should at least start with EM-100 or even EM-1000 so that they can keep on changing model numbers without running out of numbers.
    They shall follow Apple... E-M1.0.1 to whatever E-M1.8.7?, then change to E-M2 and stick with that for another decade. Something like that.... ha ha ha...

    At some point they will just call it, The New E-M1.

  16. #16

    Default Re: [Rumour] OMD EM10 coming up?

    Olympus branding and their naming conventions aren't exactly the most intuitive

  17. #17

    Default Re: [Rumour] OMD EM10 coming up?

    weird got new 3 axis stabilize

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hammeryou View Post
    weird got new 3 axis stabilize
    Weird meh?

    3-axis IS = 5-axis IS (minus) vertical shift (minus) horizontal shift.
    = yaw, roll, pitch.

  19. #19

    Default Re: [Rumour] OMD EM10 coming up?

    Quote Originally Posted by bllimus View Post
    Weird meh?

    3-axis IS = 5-axis IS (minus) vertical shift (minus) horizontal shift.
    = yaw, roll, pitch.
    3-axis IS is not new to olympus, actually it has been implemented in Olympus Stylus SH-50.

    http://www.ephotozine.com/article/ol...0-review-22518

    Question will be is this 3-axis IS in EM10 an improved version?

    3-axis for still, 5-axis for video or 3-axis for both still and video?

  20. #20

    Default Re: [Rumour] OMD EM10 coming up?

    Quote Originally Posted by bllimus View Post
    Weird meh?

    3-axis IS = 5-axis IS (minus) vertical shift (minus) horizontal shift.
    = yaw, roll, pitch.
    Weird if this is a downgrade. Honestly, I think it's more like Olympus realised that they ought to come up with a competing model to the GX7, but realised that the IS can't be too sophisticated for the price point. In short, the EM-5 represents a better mix in investment and they are going to figure that the EM10 won't be as popular as they would like.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •