Thread: How do i copy and paste a background

Default How do i copy and paste a background

I have a nice blended background and would like to use that background to fill up white spaces in the photo...can i copy and paste? If so, how?
    I am using Photoshop 7 by the way..

thanks in advance for any input/suggestions...

Quote Originally Posted by bent
    I have a nice blended background and would like to use that background to fill up white spaces in the photo...can i copy and paste? If so, how?
    I am using Photoshop 7 by the way..

thanks in advance for any input/suggestions...

Hrm... don't quite get your question, if you are refering to copying the whole background, just ctrl-a, ctrl-c, ctrl-v will do. If you are refering to copy certain part of your background, probably use the lasso tool to select the area to be copied. Hrm, if you want the paste the copied background to only certain areas of your picture, after copying, use the lasso tool to select the area where you want the background, press shift-ctrl-v or edit menu -> paste into. That should work.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by togu
    Hrm... don't quite get your question, if you are refering to copying the whole background, just ctrl-a, ctrl-c, ctrl-v will do. If you are refering to copy certain part of your background, probably use the lasso tool to select the area to be copied. Hrm, if you want the paste the copied background to only certain areas of your picture, after copying, use the lasso tool to select the area where you want the background, press shift-ctrl-v or edit menu -> paste into. That should work.

Hope this helps.
    yup..i get the lasso tool part...thanks! but it is rather slow, and the copying is not even...is there a faster way?

Quote Originally Posted by bent
    yup..i get the lasso tool part...thanks! but it is rather slow, and the copying is not even...is there a faster way?

Hrm, if the area that you want to copy as background have similiar colours, you can try to use the magic wand tool to make the selection, that'll be much faster.

Press the Q button on your keyboard and that will put you in a quick mask. Then you can paint the selection that you want, and when you press Q again, everything painted is selected. If your settings are set so that everything NOT painted is selected, just Press CTRL+SHIFT+I to invert selection.