Thread: Recommend digital camera and shop

Smile Recommend digital camera and shop

Hi guys,

I am helping my brother-in-law to hunt for a digital camera. Is there any recommendation for a camera which budget range from $700 to $800? Is there any good camera shop which is recommended by the experts from CS? Both he and myself are newbie in photography so we are looking for a camera which can help us building up the interest. Thanks

To offer you suggestions, we need to know a lot more than the budget. Which is factors are important ~ e.g. small form factor, size of LCD screen, extent zoom, manual controls, quality of lens, colour reproduction, fast autofocus, user-friendly interface, megapizel count etc?

I'm not a CS expert... well here're a few sites you can look at for reviews:

Very nice site for in-depth reviews - http://www.dpreview.com/ .
    MS Colour, a local shop which has an online product catalogue (with reviews linked to dpreview) & you can request for e-quotes as well.

If you want to go down to a shop and touch & try out the cameras, my personal recommendation is John 3:16 on level 3 of Funan Centre. I've always gone to them to get my stuff, even if the price is slightly higher than other places as their service is excellent. You can play around with the camera & not feel pressured to buy, and they'll tell you the pros & cons of the camera & let you decide instead of pushing the most expensive camera to you. I bought my Casio Z750 from them about 2 wks back after their recommendation even though it wasn't on my list of probable cameras, after I'd played around with it & kept asking them to show me how to use the different functions. After that, I stayed back to chat with them till even after the store was supposed to close - they're that friendly! I don't regret paying a higher price for good service & reliability.

Thanks for the reminder.

After reading the dpreview website, we have narrow down to 2 choices, Sony DSC-W7 and Canon A95. Anybody has any comments about these two cameras?

Check out this website-> http://cereal74.myphotoalbum.com/albums.php

Taken by my newbie fren using Canon A95

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by JamJam11
    Hi guys,

I am helping my brother-in-law to hunt for a digital camera. Is there any recommendation for a camera which budget range from $700 to $800? Is there any good camera shop which is recommended by the experts from CS? Both he and myself are newbie in photography so we are looking for a camera which can help us building up the interest. Thanks
    Shops that many would recommend will be Cathay Photo, Alan Photo (some won't recommend this though), LORDS, John 3:16...
    eat. drink. shoot

Not forgetting MSColor in AMK.

what is the address for MScolor in AMK?

T.K . Foto Technic Shaw Towers #02-45
    AMK MS Color
    Simple Is Beautiful...

Thanks everybody for the recommendation. I will check up these shops for the best quote.

Alan Photo

Quote Originally Posted by dorado
    Alan Photo
    You got to be kidding !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ah_Seng

Quote Originally Posted by Ah_Seng
    just dont enter the shop looking like a CARROT!!!
    Take both its legs down first, then cuts its tail, next is shoot between its eyes:devil:

Quote Originally Posted by dorado
    Alan Photo
    I think you are from there..
    just don't go during lunch time or peak period.
    service has dropped.

Been there recently..
    maybe I din buy my Canon 350D from them and my last purchase was only 6mths back for my FZ20...

Hey bro mind the words your say u might get sue by the company.