Thread: Vignetting: How To?

Default Vignetting: How To?

Hi Fellow CSers,
    Anybody know of any Action to have the burnt-vignette effect, sort of like the photo below? It's really one of the most time-consuming thing to do in PS.
    THanks for the help.

well for the action thingy, u can actually record it yerself, save it and can use it for batch processing.
    well to me the post process for doing this is somewhat personal as in terms of taste and also, the picture in question.
    hope u get wat i mean
    give me a pen, and i'll give you my signature

Thanks for the info, but I'm looking more for a standard "action " approach that can show uniform burning instead of manual burn which will inadvertently result in uneven texture.

Quote Originally Posted by betazone
    Hi Fellow CSers,
    Anybody know of any Action to have the burnt-vignette effect, sort of like the photo below? It's really one of the most time-consuming thing to do in PS.
    THanks for the help.

hmmm....... will it be more fun to photo shoot this photo with the vignetting effect rather then doing it over in PS???...

Just to be correct: the effect you are after is called 'light fall-off'.......I have a suggestion:

get a Hoya center gradual ND filter that is darker at the center gradually, take a pic using this filter in front of your lens (make sure the area that is 'lighter' at the edges conforms to what you want, depending on the lens this may vary)

point the lens with filter to the sky or any white area and take a snap (image will then be darket at the center and gradually be lighter at the edges)

Open this image with photoshop and revert the image, you will then get the reverse image (darket at the edges, and lighter in the center)

All this provided your lens doesn't have light fall-off to begn with!

HS

Deregistered

Use Nik Multimedia Filters for Nikon Capture to do it

Quote Originally Posted by betazone
    I'm looking more for a standard "action " approach that can show uniform burning instead of manual burn which will inadvertently result in uneven texture.
    What do you mean with that? Isn't the effect you're after "uneven" by definition (affects the corners more than the centre)?

Or are you suggesting you're darkening the corners individually with Photoshop's "burn" tool? You can generate perfectly symmetric and "smooth" masks fairly easily, for example by drawing a white disc on black background and blurring this layer using Gaussian convolution.

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien

Open this image with photoshop and revert the image, you will then get the reverse image (darket at the edges, and lighter in the center)

All this provided your lens doesn't have light fall-off to begn with!

HS
    dun quite understand the item. the filter itself is darker at the centre? but when we revert the image in ps, wont the whole pic be reveresed? colors and all?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf
    You can generate perfectly symmetric and "smooth" masks fairly easily, for example by drawing a white disc on black background and blurring this layer using Gaussian convolution.
    will try dat sometime, tho i prefer the unevenness. dunno why
    give me a pen, and i'll give you my signature

Quote Originally Posted by incubus
    dun quite understand the item. the filter itself is darker at the centre? but when we revert the image in ps, wont the whole pic be reveresed? colors and all?

will try dat sometime, tho i prefer the unevenness. dunno why
    White sky, lah! No colours, anyway, I assume you take ablack and white image (or revert to black and white)....but I am not sure if you can make it black and white first and use this as a layer on top of a colour image?

HS

Thanks for all the replies.
    I think I have found what I want here.
    photomalaysia.com

Phildate
    Guests

Very easy to do with RAW plug-in for Photoshop CS or CS2