View Poll Results: Is ur right hand on top or bottom?

Voters
199. You may not vote on this poll
  • Top!

177 88.94%
  • Bottom!

22 11.06%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Silly qns: If u're shooting vertical without a vertical grip batt pack...

Default Re: Silly qns: If u're shooting vertical without a vertical grip batt pack...

if hold on top, its smell armpit time....!!

Default Re: Silly qns: If u're shooting vertical without a vertical grip batt pack...

Quote Originally Posted by doug3fflux
    if hold on top, its smell armpit time....!!
    maybe that's why they recommend holding on bottom.

Both. Most of the time I use the right-hand-on-top method though.

Bottom for me. I prefer to tuck in both elbows for better stability.
    Yngwie J. Malmsteen - "...I've never considered myself a fast guitar player..."

yup yup .... why worry who hold which way is the correct way .. shoot more ..

Anyway I hold it on top ..
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

in my opinion,

there's no correct way... the better way is left hand as support, right hand on top.... for more stability.. (that's how the vertical grip is build)

however both sides are ok.... and try to get use to both....

that's because in some situation, the flash need to be on the left or right....

It really depends on the situation and my mood really. Sometimes I have it at the bottom, sometimes at the top. I'd say 50-50.

Quote Originally Posted by schon
    according to this, your right hand should be at the bottom.

from Nikonians.org

to me, right hand at the top is more natural. maybe it's just for nikon users.
    Of course he'll hold it this way. If he held it the other way, it would have knocked his cap off.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 2nd February 2006 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Of course he'll hold it this way. If he held it the other way, it would have knocked his cap off.

hahaha... *clap clap*...

Blog Entries

the camera is more stable (less prone to camera shake)
    if held that way, notice the elbows tucked in.
    blah blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by icarus
    Bottom for me. I prefer to tuck in both elbows for better stability.
    Could not agree more with you (although most of the time i shot vertical with my right hand on top )

S 4 me, I apply both according to situation.

If I'm taking potraits of subjects dat r relatively near (e.g. wedding couples w backdrops), my right hand will b at e bottom. Diz way I dun hav to squat or kneel to shoot. My legs will bend halfway makin it easy for me to move back n forth.

If e subject is quite a distant, my right hand will b at e top n I'll b standing.

Juz my preference...

Right hand is always on top for me, so that I can use my (unblocked) left eye to check out the scene before snapping. Learnt the idea from my wedding photographer, who would open his left eye moments before taking every picture, be it shooting in portrait or landscape.

right hand on top mostly for me, unless

a) someone is standing next to my left, and I am using flash, and I don't want to blind him;
    b) need some shadow with flash on the left of subject...;

right hand on top for me too. left hand for supporting & right hand for actions

if u are shooting with flash, then u turn to the direction where u want the light to fall on or to the direction away from where somebody else's head is blocking (at events)

it's not in the book and,

it's all a matter of habit, but i believe it would be best to tack all situation if one

get use to;

able to turn left or right shooting vertically... (except up side down)

able to use left and right eye through viewfinder regardless of master eye

open both eyes when composing and focusing

.. aiyaaaa... there's one more i jus bout to type, but suddenly slip off my mind, if someone know pls highlight

hold the camera tight as if it's the first day you bought it...

I remember teh cartoon girl in my canon manual showing th eright hand on top method, so that's what i use. monkey see, monkey do..

i've read that some cameras use a AF assist light that could be blocked if the camera is turned clockwise and the left hand cradles the lens. then the fingers of the left hand could adversely affect the AF.

other than that i don't think there is any real advantage of "right hand on bottom" over "right hand on top" because while you can tuck in your arms with the right hand on bottom, the wrist itself is floating whereas with right hand on top, you can rest the thumb on your forehead and gain an additional point of stability.

i have a BG, but if i do use the second trigger i am unable to change focus points easily as the little joystick is only within reach of my thumb on the main shutter release button. since i also have a handstrap, i tend to use the hand on top and just use the main shutter release whether or not i use the BG

dunno if you guys understand what i mean.

who dug up such an old thread. i feel it's more stable to hold with hand on top. so that the camera weight is supported by the right hand and my left hand holds the lens to stabilise it. at the same time provide a bit of weight carrying.

With the weight most bourne by the right hand it hangs downwards I feel it's more CG stable. If my right hand is below, I feel like I'm trying to balance a heavy weight on top with the left hand doing much of the weight bearing plus stablising while the right hand just clicks the shutter.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    it would definitely be more natural to have your right hand holding the camera from the top while your left hand cradle the lens from the bottom. That's assuming that you are a right hander.
    it doesn't matter if you're right handed or left handed. i am left handed and there's no way you can get your left index finger on the button anyway.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast