Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Help me decide!

Default Re: Help me decide!

Depending on how you want to spend your money to learn:

1) Go to shops and test all the models you like. BUY the set that you like. Don't like after that, SELL. Expensive lesson.
    2) Go to rent and learn by paying small fee to use. Cheaper lesson, as you pay to rent the set, fair deal.
    3) Go to CS BNS thread. Buy used set to test, don't like it? SELL. Will not lose as much, probably similar fee like suggestion 2

Looking at the question that you are asking, you will not get the ideal camera as opinions of people here are based what they shoot, their own styles and budget, preference for certain brands or country of origin, etc.

Not sure if you notice, that the BNS thread here is VERY active (as well as other camera equipment threads everywhere)? Simply because we are all learning.... and paying a lesson to learn.

Unfortunately, this is a "Practical" lesson that cannot be transferred through opinions of other users. You need to go through "practical" lessons yourself.

So just take note of your belongings (budget), and enjoy the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by adiBOY View Post
    After pondering for so long, I still cannot seems to decide which camera (EM1 or GX7) to get. I like the size and handling of the GX7 but it has Optical Low Pass filter and the stabilization is not as good. The body is not weather sealed too. What I also like about the GX7 is that it is Made in Japan rather than Made in China like the EM1. The EM1 has 5-axis stabilization which is superb and it does not comes with Optical Low Pass filter and the body is weather sealed! Then again, the size of EM1 is like a DSLR and it is quite heavy with the 12-40mm lens. But seeing all the amazing and excellent reviews regarding this beast, one can't help but wanting to own this camera.

Is Optical Low Pass filter important? Are the lenses by Panasonic better? What lenses should I get for the GX7? Is the AF faster and better on GX7?

After pondering for so long, I still cannot seems to decide which camera (EM1 or GX7) to get. I like the size and handling of the GX7 but it has Optical Low Pass filter and the stabilization is not as good. The body is not weather sealed too. What I also like about the GX7 is that it is Made in Japan rather than Made in China like the EM1. The EM1 has 5-axis stabilization which is superb and it does not comes with Optical Low Pass filter and the body is weather sealed! Then again, the size of EM1 is like a DSLR and it is quite heavy with the 12-40mm lens. But seeing all the amazing and excellent reviews regarding this beast, one can't help but wanting to own this camera.

Is Optical Low Pass filter important? Are the lenses by Panasonic better? What lenses should I get for the GX7? Is the AF faster and better on GX7?
    1) Both Olympus and Panasonic made excellent lenses... and both can be use with each other's body, meaning a lens by Panasonic can be mounted onto a Olympus m4/3 body, no additional adapter needed and the lens will retain full AF.

2) Both have very fast and accurate AF, in real life, one cannot actually make out the differences. I owned a OMD-EM5 and played with my friend's older GX1... cannot tell the difference.

3) Weather sealing is overrated. You don't dump your camera in snow everyday. For light drizzling, weather seal or not, it will not affect your camera that much. I mean, I have an old old EPL1, brought it overseas to China... caught in a drizzling, the camera came out fine. No problem at all... I doubt the much better made GX7 will have any issue with that.

4) Many of Panasonic lenses have built in Image Stabilisation known as OIS. Which is excellent in my opinion, so Panasonic really didn't see the needs of including an excellent image stabilization system in their camera body. Unless you are going to mount Olympus lenses to GX7, I really don't see any issue with Panasonic IBIS being inferior to Olympus IBIS.

5) Most electronic stuff nowadays are 'Made in China' rather than 'Made in any other country' and quality control is good enough, plus I do have a fair share of problem sets (not necessary camera stuff) that is 'Made in Japan' or 'Made in Korea' and most good sets that is 'Made in China'. The fairytale of quality is really not too strong nowadays... plus if you dared to dismantled the set, I can bet my xxx with you that many of the components within your 'Made in Japan' set is actually coming from China.

6) Depending on what you should, sometime the AA filter is important (reduce moire effect), but make your pic less sharp. But many things can still be achieve via post processing.

Finally... if you get the GX7... I would definitely recommend that you use its kit lens first, see what focal range you shoot most in, then get a lens in that focal range, same goes for if you get the EM1. No point jumping immediately into a 12-35mm or 12-40mm (both are superb lenses) only to find that you want something in the range of 50mm and above...
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

A7 sounds good..

GX7 looks good..

best is to get all to try.. i mean try in the shop.. haha

So I have decided to get the Lumix GX7 and use the price difference of EM1 to buy a good zoom/prime lens, play around with it till the next generation launches. (Hopefully not within 2 years :X)

For now, the Lumix GX7 comes with the 20mm F1.8 and I am deciding between that and the Panasonic Leica Summilux 25mm F1.4 prime lens. Which lens is better in terms of overall performance for landscape, food and street photography? Any suggestions for other lenses?

In terms of zoom lens, I've looked at the 12-35mm F2.8. Is it enough to shoot let's say when you are in a zoo and trying to take a tiger from afar?

I thank everyone here for your time and patience to solve my dilemma and help me out

So I have decided to get the Lumix GX7 and use the price difference of EM1 to buy a good zoom/prime lens, play around with it till the next generation launches. (Hopefully not within 2 years :X)

For now, the Lumix GX7 comes with the 20mm F1.8 and I am deciding between that and the Panasonic Leica Summilux 25mm F1.4 prime lens. Which lens is better in terms of overall performance for landscape, food and street photography? Any suggestions for other lenses?

In terms of zoom lens, I've looked at the 12-35mm F2.8. Is it enough to shoot let's say when you are in a zoo and trying to take a tiger from afar?

I thank everyone here for your time and patience to solve my dilemma and help me out
    12-35 definitely not enuff for zoo. A kit telephoto zoom from Panasonic or olympus will do a decent job in bright sunlight.

The summilux 25 would be a better lens overall for all scenarios, except it may not be wide enough for landscapes.
    hi

So I have decided to get the Lumix GX7 and use the price difference of EM1 to buy a good zoom/prime lens, play around with it till the next generation launches. (Hopefully not within 2 years :X) For now, the Lumix GX7 comes with the 20mm F1.8 and I am deciding between that and the Panasonic Leica Summilux 25mm F1.4 prime lens. Which lens is better in terms of overall performance for landscape, food and street photography? Any suggestions for other lenses? In terms of zoom lens, I've looked at the 12-35mm F2.8. Is it enough to shoot let's say when you are in a zoo and trying to take a tiger from afar? I thank everyone here for your time and patience to solve my dilemma and help me out
    Glad u decided.

Honestly , if overall better for landscape, food and street how to find haha. Landscape might jolly well be a ultra wide angle 7-14/4 u need and street might be a 35mm fast lens u need.

If anything I'd choose the 25/1.4 over the 20/1.7. I had both and the 20/1.7's slower focusing already killed it for me. But note that 50mm view might be slightly tight for landscapes though it'd do well for street and food and the 25/1.4 is a much larger lens than the 20/1.7.

I used the 12-35 for zoo before, very happy with its performance, the f2.8 helps a lot, even when at the aquarium in low light and thick glass. Whenever I need the extra reach I'd just use the 2x teleconverter to get reach of 140mm without much loss in IQ.

Any longer reach u'd need another lens, for me 140mm suffices though I know there must be brothers who need 300mm and above to shoot the eyelashes of the tigers etc

My advice: 12-35 is an excellent lens. Chances r it will be your most used lens, maximize its usage first. For longer zooms, don't rush to buy lenses until u need it or unless u r really into birding etc.

Just curious. Is there any shops where they will allow us to upgrade to the 25mm f1.4 instead of 20mm 1.7?
    Or we do have to buy the body and then get the lens separately? Or buy whole set and sell the 20mm 1.7?

Quote Originally Posted by sunnymonk View Post
    Just curious. Is there any shops where they will allow us to upgrade to the 25mm f1.4 instead of 20mm 1.7?
    Or we do have to buy the body and then get the lens separately? Or buy whole set and sell the 20mm 1.7?
    its bundle as kit..so doubt shops will change it for u. else they will have a kit lens without box.. how to sell? might be easier for u to post a WTS.

Thanks.
    From what I can see, many people are also selling the 20mm so it won't be easy haha.
    I'll think about it.
    Thanks!

I went to John 3:16 Photo and they do sell the GX7 Body only. It is about $1.1k.

Just curious. Is there any shops where they will allow us to upgrade to the 25mm f1.4 instead of 20mm 1.7? Or we do have to buy the body and then get the lens separately? Or buy whole set and sell the 20mm 1.7?
    U can now find shops selling GX7 body only. Sales slowing down so shops now willing to dekit.

If I'm u , I'd prob get the GX7/20mm kit and sell off the 20mm ; and then buy a 25/1.4. Sounds troublesome but one can easily buy a kit set now for around $1.4k and sell the 20mm for $4xx on BnS. If don't want the hassle just get the body alone and lens separately

post pic, I wanna see how lumix has progressed

Quote Originally Posted by dennisc View Post
    post pic, I wanna see how lumix has progressed
    yes. photo please

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234