Thread: SD card partial recovery

Default SD card partial recovery

Hi all,

Recently I went for an overseas trip and took around 32GB worth of photos (RAW and JPEG). When I come back (this morning), I put in my SD Card and "CUT" and paste onto my desktop. It was still transferring when suddenly, my computer auto shut down and could not be turned on again. I'm told by my father that the data may not be able to be recovered back again. My question is: if I use any data recovery software, will I be able to recover all the files back? Some files may be corrupted due to the abrupt cancellation so I would like to ask for any seniors' advice as to how should I go about saving all my pictures. Thanks a lot! How rash of me to cut and paste

Default Re: SD card partial recovery

Hi, next time Copy and Paste instead. I always did Cut and Paste and that happened to me, and I lost a beautiful sunrise at GBTB, so I never did that again.

Trying is better than not trying. Not trying = gone case. Trying maybe can salvage some.

You can try Recuva which is FOC and works quite well, but from previous experience, you might not be able to retrieve all. I managed to salvage one shot out of 20+.

I recently bought a few Extreme SD Cards which comes with free RESCUEPro software for one year. If you really can't get anything out with Recuva, just PM me, I give you one code (since I usually replace my cards frequently and cards are getting cheaper all the time).. I think different software can yield different results.. Just that that time I didn't have spare code, so I just used Recuva.. 1/20 not too bad I guess.

Good luck.
    Last edited by edutilos-; 30th December 2013 at 11:38 AM.

Hi edutilos,

Thanks a lot once again. I will try the software once I get a replacement computer. Haha I won't ever do it again. Somemore it's not my first time, luckily previous times not important. Really learnt my mistake this time.

Wow now I can't even access the SD card. Have to reformat. Should I reformat it and try recovering the files again?

I think formatting it will more or less guarantee that the files are lost? Try a different computer first. If it is very important you you can always try getting a data recovery company to handle it for you, but the cost is not cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    I think formatting it will more or less guarantee that the files are lost? Try a different computer first. If it is very important you you can always try getting a data recovery company to handle it for you, but the cost is not cheap.
    Ok I will try! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysjerricky View Post
    Wow now I can't even access the SD card. Have to reformat. Should I reformat it and try recovering the files again?
    No. Don't reformat this card. I was told that by doing so, all images will be gone forever. Tell me if I'm wrong.

Try to google for some free image recovery software online. It happened to me once, and I'd managed to retrieve about 80%. Sending to the data recovery shop also no guarantee to recover all. I had asked at a shop in Funan charging $80 for 16G card. In the end I downloaded the free program (cannot remember which one), and spend about 2 hrs retrieving them.

So for now, I always format the new cards. Or reformatting to erase old files.

Quote Originally Posted by blueblood View Post
    No. Don't reformat this card. I was told that by doing so, all images will be gone forever. Tell me if I'm wrong. Try to google for some free image recovery software online. It happened to me once, and I'd managed to retrieve about 80%. Sending to the data recovery shop also no guarantee to recover all. I had asked at a shop in Funan charging $80 for 16G card. In the end I downloaded the free program (cannot remember which one), and spend about 2 hrs retrieving them. So for now, I always format the new cards. Or reformatting to erase old files.
    AIYA I have already sent for recovery at a centre @ Funan. They quoted $80 but I bargained $70. Should be the same shop. I'm not sure about self-recovery as I may lose the data which are quite important to me. Thanks for your advice. I will self-retrieve if this is some other SD card haha. Anyway, they said recovered already so I will check it out tmr if it's fine.

Best not to do anything that will alter the data in the card. I use this site's recommendations for utilities (free ones ):
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/best...te-utility.htm

Anyway since you have already sent it to the shop good luck

AIYA I have already sent for recovery at a centre @ Funan. They quoted $80 but I bargained $70. Should be the same shop. I'm not sure about self-recovery as I may lose the data which are quite important to me. Thanks for your advice. I will self-retrieve if this is some other SD card haha. Anyway, they said recovered already so I will check it out tmr if it's fine.
    If they quote so low and you still bargain then it was not a real recovery job, just the usual little hiccups with the FAT. Do note: if data are important to you, stop bargaining as if it's about some fish from the wet market. It pays off to pay proper Dollars.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    If they quote so low and you still bargain then it was not a real recovery job, just the usual little hiccups with the FAT. Do note: if data are important to you, stop bargaining as if it's about some fish from the wet market. It pays off to pay proper Dollars.
    Is $80 low? Sorry I'm not sure. Anyway I'll see later

I just went to check out the card and most of the pics are recovered already. Thank you all for you help.