Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guide me please

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee
    hint,

1) if subject and photog under similar lighting, do you need to zoom in to meter subject's face (see (2)?

2) if you know roughly how much off set your palm is to greenery (middle tone), but you dont have greenery in sight, what else can you use?
    Heard of many people using their own skin tone as a meter guide...
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf
    The problem with the 300D in automatic mode is that the camera does "guess" what one wants to photograph, depending on bright/dark patterns in the image and where the focus is - from the user's point of view a complete lottery game. Using selective metering helps, not so much because it is selective, but because it is the only way to disable the "intelligent" guessing system in automatic exposure modes.

I acknowledge my incomplete familiarity with the digital sensor. I have a Canon 1V with all the metering options. And I am aware of the Nikon matrix system.

Both the Canon and Nikon metering systems are very good, and in the tight situation usually give a very good exposure.

The point I was trying to say was that while the overall metering is good, the inherant contrast is not altered at all. And I believe this to be true for film and CCD/CMOS. And not even meticulous metering with a 1 degree spot meter will change that inherant contrast.

For black & white film, contrast can be changed with filters or with development. For colors, I think the practical way is to do it digitally.

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar
    Heard of many people using their own skin tone as a meter guide...
    hint

use the part of the skin's tone that is least affected by tanning for consistant exposure.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee
    hint

use the part of the skin's tone that is least affected by tanning for consistant exposure.
    If one insists on using skin, then the most consistent part is the palm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12