Thread: circular vs linear polariser

Default circular vs linear polariser

hi been reading up on polarisers and most sites say that linear polarisers will not work with AF cameras cos of some light angle thingy.

true? so how? must get a circular polariser? but linear polariser still so common and many people use them still ....

i need enlightenment..thanks

what cameras are you using? was told that linear polarisers work for digital cameras (in general).
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

using eos33 with ef28-105lens (most of the time)...

not much experience with ddigital though

Midnight
    Guests

Linear polarising filters will work fine for the vast majority (probably all, in fact) of compact-style cameras, digital or otherwise. Generally speaking, circular polarising filters are required only for SLR cameras due to the beam splitter mechanism they use for AF.

so this means i will be able to use a 20plus doller hoya polariser instead of a more expensive circular polariser without loss of AF?

hmmm..sorry wasn't thinking when i last posted. tooo early in the morn.

what i wanted and should've was 'so this means i've to get a more expensive circular polariser for my eos 33 then.'

any recommendations?

i think a hoya or tokina filter will suffice right?

Midnight
    Guests

Yup, you will most likely need a circular polarizer.

Hoya multi-coated (HMC) and super multi-coated (HSMC) filters are pretty highly regarded, and of excellent quality. IMHO, they're well worth the premium in price; I wouldn't want to have anything of lesser optical quality affecting my image.

yes u need the circular polariser

thanks all. will be going down to CP tmrw. cheers