Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45

Thread: Destination Europe: A European Odyssey

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,252

    Default

    1. I have never taken on the role of a pro photog more than passed critique based on what you have posted. I do not claim to be a pro, nor am i. I am just comparing exhibits and passing comments. You obviously are rather protective of your photos and have read me wrong. It is not for me to decide if you are worthy of an exhibit, but rather the museum. I was merely comparing.
    2. I never said your photos were sub normal. In fact, if you will recall, i mentioned your photos were normal.
    3. Don't be sorry for having posted when you aren't. You're just sorry you had to run into me. If you can't take critique of your photos, then perhaps you should just keep them in a closed thread and not an open one. Or perhaps i am mistaken, and critique should be restricted to the galleries?
    4. It was not your post that made me think you were great. I hold members of clubsnap in high esteem and the fact that you were exhibiting in a place like the museum made me set higher expectations. You are right in saying that i am rather disappointed, but thats just me. Again, you seem to be taking offense in me voicing my opinions.
    5. I never said you were dumb. TDH is short for tom dick and harry which in retrospect is a term i should not have used. Layman is perhaps a better term. In this case what i really meant is that any tourist with a decent camera with auto modes would have been able to replicate what you have done.
    I am assuming you are representing the opinions of your members by the way.

  2. #22
    Moderator Clown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,779

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by szekiat
    1. I have never taken on the role of a pro photog more than passed critique based on what you have posted. I do not claim to be a pro, nor am i. I am just comparing exhibits and passing comments. You obviously are rather protective of your photos and have read me wrong. It is not for me to decide if you are worthy of an exhibit, but rather the museum. I was merely comparing.
    2. I never said your photos were sub normal. In fact, if you will recall, i mentioned your photos were normal.
    3. Don't be sorry for having posted when you aren't. You're just sorry you had to run into me. If you can't take critique of your photos, then perhaps you should just keep them in a closed thread and not an open one. Or perhaps i am mistaken, and critique should be restricted to the galleries?
    4. It was not your post that made me think you were great. I hold members of clubsnap in high esteem and the fact that you were exhibiting in a place like the museum made me set higher expectations. You are right in saying that i am rather disappointed, but thats just me. Again, you seem to be taking offense in me voicing my opinions.
    5. I never said you were dumb. TDH is short for tom dick and harry which in retrospect is a term i should not have used. Layman is perhaps a better term. In this case what i really meant is that any tourist with a decent camera with auto modes would have been able to replicate what you have done.
    I am assuming you are representing the opinions of your members by the way.
    my opinions are my own.
    if u've no more pro comments, pls go bug other threads and leave this poor tourist be. thanks.
    sigh.

  3. #23

    Default

    just give him a break..
    let him enjoy the rest of his tour and leisure photo taking..

  4. #24

    Default

    Hey SzeKiat... long time no see.. how are you doing over there??

    We are really tired over the trip... and preparing for the exhibition now..
    We are keeping the best photos for the exhibition.. the photos in the blog are more of a journal of where we have been.

    I've uploaded some of my photos to my gallery at http://willyfoo.clubsnap.org/gallery/europe2005 if you're keen to take a look.

    Cheers!
    Last edited by willyfoo; 28th June 2005 at 04:36 PM.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    lulu island
    Posts
    6,131

    Default

    Amazing photos you have, Willy. I like them!

  6. #26

    Default

    Very nice photos you have, Willy.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willyfoo
    Hey SzeKiat... long time no see.. how are you doing over there??

    We are really tired over the trip... and preparing for the exhibition now..
    We are keeping the best photos for the exhibition.. the photos in the blog are more of a journal of where we have been.

    I've uploaded some of my photos to my gallery at http://willyfoo.clubsnap.org/gallery/europe2005 if you're keen to take a look.

    Cheers!
    Hi, things are great over here if not a bit frantic at the moment. I should be back next tuesday if all goes well. Nice photos you have in your gallery. A real improvement over those on the blog. I look forward to visiting your exhibit if it is indeed as you promise, better than all this! No offense to clown really, i was quite sure all of you had better shots!

  8. #28

    Default

    Here's one of my favourite shots..
    The bastilica of in Budapest through the sunglasses of our tourguide, Andrea

  9. #29

    Default

    All your pictures are very good!

    I like this best


  10. #30

    Default

    it's a very nice shot willy.. did u asked her to post for u or something?
    awaiting for u guys exhibition..

  11. #31

    Default

    Great Gallery from both Clown and Willy..and very nice pictures..I'm no expert and am a newbie learning..but an additional comment perhaps on similar wavelength as szekiat is that I felt it would be a bonus if there were more shots that can overwhelm one with emotion..e.g. shots that could portray very contrasting scenes in meaning or reflect very strong emotions, or shots that could dig deeper and reflect the less touristic but real aspects of life in the city. In that case, this journey documented on camera would truely be able to stand out from the rest. Then again, having being on short business trips before and trying to capture shots during a short time, I know how hard it is to capture those kind of pictures (prob would need to stay at each location for a week at least, which is prob not possible for your intended purpose).
    Great stuff, and thanks for sharing..hope to see your exhibition soon.

  12. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by novello76
    Great Gallery from both Clown and Willy..and very nice pictures..I'm no expert and am a newbie learning..but an additional comment perhaps on similar wavelength as szekiat is that I felt it would be a bonus if there were more shots that can overwhelm one with emotion..e.g. shots that could portray very contrasting scenes in meaning or reflect very strong emotions, or shots that could dig deeper and reflect the less touristic but real aspects of life in the city. In that case, this journey documented on camera would truely be able to stand out from the rest. Then again, having being on short business trips before and trying to capture shots during a short time, I know how hard it is to capture those kind of pictures (prob would need to stay at each location for a week at least, which is prob not possible for your intended purpose).
    Great stuff, and thanks for sharing..hope to see your exhibition soon.
    Hi Novello,

    We stayed in most cities for less than a day... we only spent more time in Budapest & Istanbul thus unable to capture as much as we wanted to...

    One of the main purposes of this trip is to collect photos that could be used by stock agencies and companies that could use these photos, ie. Travel Companies etc. thus the places we've visited are also targetted at getting these photos.

  13. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by destiny_star
    it's a very nice shot willy.. did u asked her to post for u or something?
    awaiting for u guys exhibition..
    Yes... she's our guide so we're very friendly towards her. I asked her to look up and teased her into a smile...

  14. #34

    Default

    In that case, the team has certainly achieved your main purpose, coz many of the shots are of stock standard. Cheers.

    Quote Originally Posted by willyfoo
    Hi Novello,

    We stayed in most cities for less than a day... we only spent more time in Budapest & Istanbul thus unable to capture as much as we wanted to...

    One of the main purposes of this trip is to collect photos that could be used by stock agencies and companies that could use these photos, ie. Travel Companies etc. thus the places we've visited are also targetted at getting these photos.

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,252

    Default

    Once again i stand corrected. I never knew the purpose was for stock photos. In that case, both you and clown have definitely achieved it, which was my initial comment anyway. nvm.

  16. #36
    Senior Member Ansel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Land Downunder
    Posts
    2,207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by szekiat
    Mate, i appreciate that it is a blog of a journey of friends. What i don't understand is how one gets away with exhibiting post cards at the history museum? Contrary to what you say, what lots of stuff can indeed be found in post cards and stock photos, i've still managed to seen exhibits of photos that somehow don't fit into that category. I don't question the value of your trip, for surely you must have learned something from it, but i think that u missed a lot about europe and its culture and that you have only managed to dwell into the surface layer. Surely there is no need to exhibit photos that can be googled up online in a million and one photobuckets, photoblogs, etc. I'm sure it was not your decision to exhibit, but having been invited to do so, should you not have strived to do something different? Maybe its just me, i would have. Your posts so far show technical competency but the composition and shots are what any TDH can do with a decent compact camera. When i saw the list of photographers going, i guess i just expected more..
    szekiat,

    Maybe just for my (and other's) education, may I request you illustrate what you mean by "something different"? This so that you don't sound like you are making a lot noise without providing any real added value to this discussion. I for one will like to learn so that I won't produce pics that any TDH can shoot with a P&S and bring shame on myself in the midst of elevated personalities such as yourself.

    Please, I want to learn. Show me what you could have done when you are in these guys shoes.

  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ansel
    szekiat,

    Maybe just for my (and other's) education, may I request you illustrate what you mean by "something different"? This so that you don't sound like you are making a lot noise without providing any real added value to this discussion. I for one will like to learn so that I won't produce pics that any TDH can shoot with a P&S and bring shame on myself in the midst of elevated personalities such as yourself.

    Please, I want to learn. Show me what you could have done when you are in these guys shoes.
    Hmm, i sense a challenge here... Firstly, i want to reiterate my apologies to clown willy and the rest, that 1. I didn't know they were shooting for stock, 2. That they had more up their sleeves. To be fair, both points were never mentioned before willy butted in. In view of that, i am looking forward to the exhibition when i do get home.
    Ansel, while i have visited most of the countries/towns that they have, not all of the shots are on file right now, especially since most are in slides, i have instead left a few from paris and venice which i uploaded previously. If there is indeed interest, i will definitely look to scan the rest after my exams! Mind you i spent about 1 day shooting in each city, but for different reasons.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../stmarcosq.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...reflection.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...lachanging.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ice/salute.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...edunorde01.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...meartist03.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...don/crepes.jpg
    Not gallery quality for sure, but perhaps a different play of things?

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,252

    Default

    btw, most of the venice ones were shot with an s60. The paris ones were shot on velvia on a leica m2, using guesstimation for metering.

  19. #39
    Senior Member Ansel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Land Downunder
    Posts
    2,207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by szekiat
    Hmm, i sense a challenge here... Firstly, i want to reiterate my apologies to clown willy and the rest, that 1. I didn't know they were shooting for stock, 2. That they had more up their sleeves. To be fair, both points were never mentioned before willy butted in. In view of that, i am looking forward to the exhibition when i do get home.
    Ansel, while i have visited most of the countries/towns that they have, not all of the shots are on file right now, especially since most are in slides, i have instead left a few from paris and venice which i uploaded previously. If there is indeed interest, i will definitely look to scan the rest after my exams! Mind you i spent about 1 day shooting in each city, but for different reasons.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../stmarcosq.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...reflection.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...lachanging.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ice/salute.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...edunorde01.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...meartist03.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...don/crepes.jpg
    Not gallery quality for sure, but perhaps a different play of things?
    No doubt the pix are good, but your scanning job needs to be improved though. Anyway, thanks for these examples. It is better than empty talk.

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,252

    Default

    Haha, i agree with you on the scanning. I've had a scanner for close to a year now, and still can't figure how people get such nice shots. I'll buy anyone coffee if they can give me a sit down course on how to use a Scan Dual III. And i'm not kidding, starbucks, spinelli's or kopitiam....
    But this is getting OT now, clown, willy and the rest, more to show?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •