Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Recommandation for portrait lens

  1. #1
    Member DukeHyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Kallang Singapore
    Posts
    12

    Question Recommandation for portrait lens

    Right now im getting Sony Nex 6 with 16-50mm powerzoom lens kit...
    About to get a second lens for shooting potrait
    Any recommandation?(e-mount only)

  2. #2

    Default Re: Recommandation for portrait lens

    Any issue shooting portrait with your current lens kit? What are you trying to achieve from your second lens purchase?

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DukeHyou View Post
    Right now im getting Sony Nex 6 with 16-50mm powerzoom lens kit...
    About to get a second lens for shooting potrait
    Any recommandation?(e-mount only)
    Sel50f18.

    Cheap, sharp, bokehlicious.
    hi

  4. #4
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Recommandation for portrait lens

    Quote Originally Posted by DukeHyou View Post
    Right now im getting Sony Nex 6 with 16-50mm powerzoom lens kit...
    About to get a second lens for shooting potrait
    Any recommandation?(e-mount only)
    What do you wish to accomplish that your current kit lens could give you? Bokeh? Sharpness? Contrast? Slow AF speed? range? Or what?

    Without knowing what your kit lens is limiting you, there is problem with any of us to give you meaningful advises.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  5. #5

    Default Re: Recommandation for portrait lens

    Quote Originally Posted by silvermoon1407 View Post
    Sel50f18.

    Cheap, sharp, bokehlicious.
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    What do you wish to accomplish that your current kit lens could give you? Bokeh? Sharpness? Contrast? Slow AF speed? range? Or what?

    Without knowing what your kit lens is limiting you, there is problem with any of us to give you meaningful advises.
    according to what TS wants, i would suggest the SEL50F18 50mm F1.8 prime lens as well. this is a pretty decent lens for basic portraiture, with a 35mm equivalent Field of View of 75mm.

    it might not be extremely sharp, but it'll help TS to practice composition and the usage of a prime lens.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    SINGAPORE , OLD AIRPORT
    Posts
    68

    Default Re: Recommandation for portrait lens

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    according to what TS wants, i would suggest the SEL50F18 50mm F1.8 prime lens as well. this is a pretty decent lens for basic portraiture, with a 35mm equivalent Field of View of 75mm.

    it might not be extremely sharp, but it'll help TS to practice composition and the usage of a prime lens.
    i previously also have dilemma choosing between SEL50F18 and SEL35F18.. in the end i went with the 35mm.
    feedback: it slightly wider. can be use for other photography besides portraits which is good for low light condition. Cons: Lost on Bokeh..
    Last edited by dawson31; 27th December 2013 at 11:36 PM.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Recommandation for portrait lens

    Quote Originally Posted by dawson31 View Post
    i previously also have dilemma choosing between SEL50F18 and SEL35F18.. in the end i went with the 35mm.
    feedback: it slightly wider. can be use for other photography besides portraits which is good for low light condition. Cons: Lost on Bokeh..
    the "background blur" is lesser, but Bokeh is not lost. there is a difference between the two.

    in fact, i prefer the 35mm's bokeh over the 50mm. but if you want the effect of a "shallower depth of field", you should use the 50mm.

  8. #8
    Member DukeHyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Kallang Singapore
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: Recommandation for portrait lens

    Thanks guys.I guess 35mm F1.8 is better for the choice as i want good bokeh effect meanwhile can be used for other photography
    I wanted a low apearture lens that can do things not only limited to 'background blur''
    Im not very satisfied with current 16-50mm as i want something that can do a better bokeh effect
    as for 50mm f1.8 might be one of my consideration since im just a student and 35mm might be pretty expensive
    Last edited by DukeHyou; 29th December 2013 at 12:58 AM.

  9. #9
    Member MechaEd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ring of Fire
    Posts
    366

    Default Re: Recommandation for portrait lens

    Quote Originally Posted by DukeHyou View Post
    i want good bokeh effect
    Just curious what's your definition of 'good bokeh effect' because shallow depth of field and bokeh are 2 different things. Both set at 1.8 and equal distance from subject, the 50 will give you shallower DOF ie. more blurred background. Not necessarily nicer and smoother blurred background mind you.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Recommandation for portrait lens

    i would get 50 f1.8

    Reasons:
    1. Cheaper
    2. 35mm is already covered by your existing 16-50 (and read together with points below.)
    3. Things you shoot at 35mm dont really need that much shallow depth of field
    4. Since you like portraits and I believe is because of bokeh and shallow depth of field. The effect will be more enhanced by the 50mm.
    5. For your 16-50, it will reach f5.6 at 50mm. Hence, for lowlight, i think you can only shoot up to 35mm if you dont want to shoot at f5.6. With a 50 f1.8, you can do more lowlight at longer distance. If you buy 35 f1.8, your lowlight photography will be restricted to 35mm instead of 50mm. At 35mm, let the existing 16-50 handles the lowlight shoot.
    Last edited by sin77; 29th December 2013 at 10:13 AM.
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

  11. #11

    Default Re: Recommandation for portrait lens

    Quote Originally Posted by DukeHyou View Post
    Thanks guys.I guess 35mm F1.8 is better for the choice as i want good bokeh effect meanwhile can be used for other photography
    I wanted a low apearture lens that can do things not only limited to 'background blur''
    Im not very satisfied with current 16-50mm as i want something that can do a better bokeh effect
    as for 50mm f1.8 might be one of my consideration since im just a student and 35mm might be pretty expensive
    Most aspiring portrait photographers do not really understand the term bokeh and it's relationship
    to portraiture. Bokeh is a technical term of how a particular lens render out of focus elements in a photograph.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokeh

    Bokeh is a consequence of lens design and one "cannot" design bokeh into a lens.It has to do with focal length, lens type,properties of glass (composite chemical elements,refractive index and lens coatings,etc.

    Your discussion here is about modern digital lenses of a specific brand namely Sony but in general
    you are limited to digitally design lenses that render bokeh given the conditions listed above.
    What you are talking about is really isolation of subject from the background which depends on
    depth of field that a particular lens' focal length has.

    Most portrait lens are between 50mm (full length body) to 100mm and above depending on the effect
    a photographer wants to achieve.That does not mean a wide angle lens cannot be used.It depends on the circumstances like lack of space of a location but most important is the distortion of perpective
    of the subject or person you are photographing.

    A digital lens is designed using computer software which is very efficient compared to old manual lenses which are calculated by hand like you learn in elementary/primary school so you a limited to a few permutations of possible outcomes unlike simulation by computer where you can choose the best result or at least the lesser of compromises.

    If you study or read about the work of famous portrait photographers they never talk about bokeh but only about capturing the essence or character of the subject/person truthfully and that invariably does not see the person smiling for that is a façade a person show to the outside world not what they are really feeling inside.

    Since you are a student there is a cheaper way other than digital lenses to try old manual lenses but without autofocus or even infinity focus or metering (stopped down) with adapters which will surprise and delight you.Search for such forums and discussions
    Last edited by one eye jack; 29th December 2013 at 12:33 PM.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    SINGAPORE , OLD AIRPORT
    Posts
    68

    Default Re: Recommandation for portrait lens

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    the "background blur" is lesser, but Bokeh is not lost. there is a difference between the two.

    in fact, i prefer the 35mm's bokeh over the 50mm. but if you want the effect of a "shallower depth of field", you should use the 50mm.
    thanks for the correction.. i'm newb too.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Recommandation for portrait lens

    Dudes any focal length will do, is all abt composition and themes

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •