Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Which lens for sport photography? D70s/350D

  1. #1

    Default Which lens for sport photography? D70s/350D

    Hey i am relatively new to digital photography, currently own a prosumer HP945 and thought of getting a entry level DSLR for taking sport photography.

    Still not sure which DSLR to get coz my main objective is to take sport photography. My colleague told me in the long run Canon lens are much cheaper but Nikon D70s is a better buy. Please give some advise. Think a len like 200mm f2.8 would be nice.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Siglap
    Posts
    1,828

    Default

    I would get a 2nd hand 10D coupled with a 70-200 F2.8L (non-IS).

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 3rd Rock
    Posts
    1,269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by valkyrie
    Hey i am relatively new to digital photography, currently own a prosumer HP945 and thought of getting a entry level DSLR for taking sport photography.

    Still not sure which DSLR to get coz my main objective is to take sport photography. My colleague told me in the long run Canon lens are much cheaper but Nikon D70s is a better buy. Please give some advise. Think a len like 200mm f2.8 would be nice.
    Any of these fast lenses (f/2.8) will be great for sports

    1. Canon 70-200L IS or non-IS
    2. Sigma 70-200 APO
    3. Nikkor AFD or AFS 80-200
    4. Nikkor 70-200 VR

  4. #4

    Default

    For sports photography, a cam with high fps will be useful coupled with a fast lens. D2H + 70-200 VR f2.8 will be a good consideration.

  5. #5
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snowspeeder
    For sports photography, a cam with high fps will be useful coupled with a fast lens. D2H + 70-200 VR f2.8 will be a good consideration.
    nono... wrong cam u introed liao.... D2x + 200 F/2 or 600 f/4

    or

    Canon 1DsMkII + 600 F/4 L IS

  6. #6
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glennyong
    nono... wrong cam u introed liao.... D2x + 200 F/2 or 600 f/4

    or

    Canon 1DsMkII + 600 F/4 L IS
    don't mislead others. an excessively long lens is very cumbersome to lug around, and gives you very limited angle of view.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    West side of S'pore
    Posts
    5,528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    don't mislead others. an excessively long lens is very cumbersome to lug around, and gives you very limited angle of view.
    True. For most field/track sports, a 300mm or 400mm f2.8 is a better choice.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 3rd Rock
    Posts
    1,269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glennyong
    nono... wrong cam u introed liao.... D2x + 200 F/2 or 600 f/4

    or

    Canon 1DsMkII + 600 F/4 L IS

    You want his pocket to burn a big hole??

  9. #9
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffhiew
    You want his pocket to burn a big hole??
    no la.. in case he chooses to come over nikon, i will know who have the big guns mah.. so i know who to target lor... lol..

    Nikon 200 f/2 is good... hehehehe..

  10. #10
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    don't mislead others. an excessively long lens is very cumbersome to lug around, and gives you very limited angle of view.
    yes.. but u get close ups for sports.. which is good.... lol.... and he said sports photography.. usually a 400- 500 is good range... 300 is too short IMHO...

    to me. i already complaining 400 is too short for sports liao...

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 3rd Rock
    Posts
    1,269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snowspeeder
    For sports photography, a cam with high fps will be useful coupled with a fast lens. D2H + 70-200 VR f2.8 will be a good consideration.

    Any idea at what shutter speed does the VR kicks in? one of the CSer pointed out that shutter speed below 1/500, is this true?

  12. #12
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glennyong
    to me. i already complaining 400 is too short for sports liao...
    have you already used a 400/2.8 to be able to say so?

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffhiew
    Any idea at what shutter speed does the VR kicks in? one of the CSer pointed out that shutter speed below 1/500, is this true?
    any shutter speed, but more noticeable when handholding at slow shutter speeds.

  13. #13

    Default

    not all kinda sport photography requires big lenses..

    still depends on wat u wanna take.. indoor/outdoor.. the range from where u're shooting.. lighting conditions etc.. many factors..

    so buy wat u need for the sports u're shooting....

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffhiew
    Any of these fast lenses (f/2.8) will be great for sports

    1. Canon 70-200L IS or non-IS
    2. Sigma 70-200 APO
    3. Nikkor AFD or AFS 80-200
    4. Nikkor 70-200 VR
    Thank you all for your comments. I will look out for the price of the above. Think Sehsuan is using the #1 if i am not wrong. Pretty clear and nice sport shot from his posting.

  15. #15
    Moderator nightwolf75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    really MORE diaper changes
    Posts
    17,839
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    valkyrie - which ever lens u will buy depends a lot on how up close and personal u wanna be for ur pics. are u shooting from the sidelines of play, or from the grandstands? indoors or outdoors? how fast/slow is the action? these are but some of the considerations as to wat lens to get in the end - be it nikon or canon or some timbaktu brand camera.

    as to which camera - the 2 u listed are pretty decent camera with decent fps and AF-speed. either one shld do the job. unless, of course, u got serious money to burn, dat is.

    oh yes, its also a serious misconception dat canon lenses are cheaper than nikon lenses. and please dun listen to people crapping abt the perceived bigger range of lenses from canon vs nikon. the really serious canon zooms (ie L-lens) can be as costly as the top-of-the-line nikon lenses. likewise for the consumer range of lenses. to cut thru the bullsh*t of marketing, its how a system works best for u. why not try out both cameras in a shop and decide for urself which suits u best?
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

  16. #16
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,601

    Default

    of which, that WILL still be a problem; because personally, i'd get all forgetful and forget what sports i want to shoot.

    here's a tip: take a list of the sports you want to shoot; research all those favourite photos you have seen; and then if you can, print them out, and ask the guy at the shop how you could emulate them.

    whatever you do, dont go into a camera shop without a preconceived idea about what shots you want to get, if not you may end up with an impulse buy that you would regret for a sum of money, when you could have bought something else.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 3rd Rock
    Posts
    1,269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by valkyrie
    Thank you all for your comments. I will look out for the price of the above. Think Sehsuan is using the #1 if i am not wrong. Pretty clear and nice sport shot from his posting.

    Want to join the dark side? here are some photos shot using D70 + Nikkor AF-D 80-200mm (handheld)

    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=135004
    Last edited by billpepsi; 6th June 2005 at 10:15 AM.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by destiny_star
    not all kinda sport photography requires big lenses..

    still depends on wat u wanna take.. indoor/outdoor.. the range from where u're shooting.. lighting conditions etc.. many factors..

    so buy wat u need for the sports u're shooting....
    Yes... I agree... A 300mm will do for track and field when the runners are always constantly circulating the track. However for soccer, you may have to consider 500mm if you always want to catch action. (Based on a 1.5 FOV)

    Generally for a firm start, a fast 300mm zoom lens with a d70s will do. Unless you are rich, do not be influenced by everybody to get a d2h or mark II. No doubt they are fast, but not feasible if you have a budget.

    Btw, I used to own a hp 945 too! Nice camera but AF very slow. Maybe it is just me.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong/Singapore/Brisbane
    Posts
    768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by valkyrie
    Hey i am relatively new to digital photography, currently own a prosumer HP945 and thought of getting a entry level DSLR for taking sport photography.

    Still not sure which DSLR to get coz my main objective is to take sport photography. My colleague told me in the long run Canon lens are much cheaper but Nikon D70s is a better buy. Please give some advise. Think a len like 200mm f2.8 would be nice.
    that really depend on what you want to take
    but i guess 200 may not be enough for a close up unless the sport you talking about is a indoor sport
    outdoor sport i guess at least need 300mm to start
    a prime 300 F/4 isnt expensive, having a D2H is good too cos of the 8fps and it is cheap compare to other top body or may be even D2X if you have the money ...

    Canon Lens cheapper then Nikon ? not really ... both price around the same ...
    actually both are good option

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •