Thread: DIY sensor cleaning SUCCESS!

Default DIY sensor cleaning SUCCESS!

Way out, 2 1/2 hours drive away from Nikon Service Center in thailand - in the country side... my D100 had a big dust problem

Decided to make my own swabs and clean! *shivers*

So, I was sitting at my computer reading up on materials people were using etc... and designed my own swabs.

I took laminated cardboard and cut it to size then stuck a folded lint-free lens cloth over it - put some methanol and tested it on a cheap filter i had.

After 3 tries, I got pretty confident - no streaks! So i did it on my camera... 20 seconds later, it was CLEAN!! WOOHOO so happy! No need to head down to NIKS Thailand and spend 1000 baht on a cleaning :P yay~ Pictures are super clean now.. .ahhhh just had to share my joy with u guys!
    Budget wedding photographer :)

Congratulations bro.....next time come back to Singapore please clean mine. I will pay you 500 Baht....

hahaha... can show u how to make ur own 'sensor swabs' :P it's damn effective man! *happy happy*

wanted to BUY them, but then their 'eclipse cleaning fluid' cannot ship overseas cos it's flammable... duh... and you 'have to use eclipse cleaning fluid with sensor swabs' - so if you buy the swabs, can't use the swabs cos 'need to use their fluid'.

my little experiment on my filter paid off

if u guys want pics of the swabs i made i can post :P hehehe but to show the process... need to borrow another camera to take pix. haha

all camera servicing shops and service centre of all makers will hate you cause to took a very profitable service from them. ha ha ha.

but i appreaciate you will share the process with us, thanks man.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by ParkertR
    wanted to BUY them, but then their 'eclipse cleaning fluid' cannot ship overseas cos it's flammable... duh... and you 'have to use eclipse cleaning fluid with sensor swabs' - so if you buy the swabs, can't use the swabs cos 'need to use their fluid'.
    I think you could use sensor swabs with any solvent. I would use the pure methanol from the chemist.

Unfortunately Eclipse cleaning fluid and Sensor swabs are sold through agents and not through camera shops. My wife has to buy mine from Hong Kong.

I have some success with sensor swab wrapped around a thin strip cut out from an old credit card. A tip posted by a CSer.

Do a search on the net. There are more newer sensor cleaning devices now in the market.

There are plenty of coconut trees in Southern Thailand. Your next project is to clean it with a piece of husk dipped in coconut wine?
    Last edited by Sion; 5th June 2005 at 12:21 PM.

Congratz! If possible, can do a step-by-step tutorial?
    Yngwie J. Malmsteen - "...I've never considered myself a fast guitar player..."

will post a tutorial with pictures later when my suite-mate comes back - he's got a P&S that i can use to take pix with - of the whole process.

Default Sensor Cleaning Tutorial!

Sensor Cleaning TUTORIAL is up right here!

Click on the link: http://hollowbody.blogspot.com/2005/...-solution.html