Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49

Thread: A film slr b4 a dslr?

  1. #1

    Default A film slr b4 a dslr?

    Hi,

    I need some opinions on this issue. At the moment, I am saving up for a dslr and as a student, that would mean at least 3 yrs. So in the meantime, should I invest part of my saving in getting a film slr and get familarize with slr technology or should I save it up so as to realize my cam earlier. I am using an Oly digi cam at the moment.(oly c2100uz)

    All comments/opinions very much welcome.

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    5,499

    Default

    IMO, get a decent film SLR first - depending on your brand preferences, a mid-range SLR like the Nikon F90x can be gotten for well within $1K. that'll get you used to a SLR first, then you'll appreciate a D-SLR more, trust me. there are certain skillsets you also need to pick up which is different from a digicam.

    also, bearing in mind that the SLR (digital or film) is not the end of it, you still have to consider lenses, accessories, filters, (new) tripod, remote cable, blah blah blah... at least by getting a film SLR first, you can gradually build up a decent collection of peripherals. then by the time you save up for a D-SLR, you'll won't really have to get everything all together.

    just my 2 cents worth.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    740

    Default

    i thought u had a eos30?

  4. #4

    Default

    Originally posted by firefox13
    IMO, get a decent film SLR first - depending on your brand preferences, a mid-range SLR like the Nikon F90x can be gotten for well within $1K. that'll get you used to a SLR first, then you'll appreciate a D-SLR more, trust me. there are certain skillsets you also need to pick up which is different from a digicam.

    also, bearing in mind that the SLR (digital or film) is not the end of it, you still have to consider lenses, accessories, filters, (new) tripod, remote cable, blah blah blah... at least by getting a film SLR first, you can gradually build up a decent collection of peripherals. then by the time you save up for a D-SLR, you'll won't really have to get everything all together.

    just my 2 cents worth.
    That was what I had in mind too. But getting those stuff would mean that i will burn a large hole in my pocket first and my expected projection will be extended.
    Would like to hear more opinions.
    Last edited by Falcon; 17th September 2002 at 01:46 PM.

  5. #5

    Default

    Originally posted by Mystix
    i thought u had a eos30?
    I wish I had one.

  6. #6

    Default

    Getting a film SLR now means you can start learning, and using film still has its advantages (namely good practices that you'll take to when you get your DSLR), and also, maybe the projection won't be that long.. maybe 4 years later you can get a decent digital SLR with more features at a cheaper price.

  7. #7
    ClubSNAP Admin Darren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    8,517
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    The advice about getting a film SLR first and then upgrading later is sound advice.

    Here is looking at it from another angle - if you invest in a decent film SLR now (together with the lenses and accessories), you can start building your system and start enjoying photography immediately. AND, with the prices of DSLRs dropping constantly, maybe your dream DSLR may be within reach sooner than your projected 3 yrs (even after investing in the film SLR). In the meantime, you would have already honed your skills on the film SLR.

  8. #8

  9. #9

    Default

    Originally posted by Darren
    The advice about getting a film SLR first and then upgrading later is sound advice.

    Here is looking at it from another angle - if you invest in a decent film SLR now (together with the lenses and accessories), you can start building your system and start enjoying photography immediately. AND, with the prices of DSLRs dropping constantly, maybe your dream DSLR may be within reach sooner than your projected 3 yrs (even after investing in the film SLR). In the meantime, you would have already honed your skills on the film SLR.
    Does it mean that I have to decide on a particular slr system and stay on with it since the accessories/lenses will only be compatible with the DSLR of that brand?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    5,499

    Default

    Originally posted by Darren
    Here is looking at it from another angle - if you invest in a decent film SLR now (together with the lenses and accessories), you can start building your system and start enjoying photography immediately. AND, with the prices of DSLRs dropping constantly, maybe your dream DSLR may be within reach sooner than your projected 3 yrs (even after investing in the film SLR). In the meantime, you would have already honed your skills on the film SLR.
    yet another angle to look at it from... with the popularity of D-SLRs and digicams nowsadays, film SLR prices are dropping like flies, esp in the 2nd hand market. instead of a brand new F60, you could probably pick up a used F80 or F90x for a bit more. that would be a decent model to start with...

    just more food for thought...

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    5,499

    Default

    Originally posted by Falcon
    Does it mean that I have to decide on a particular slr system and stay on with it since the accessories/lenses will only be compatible with the DSLR of that brand?
    that would be preferable of course, since you're on a budget. no point getting a Nikon now and deciding that you'll switch to Canon later, unless you have oodles of $$$ to burn. there are some common accessories like filters and tripods, but for things like lenses, flash units and cable releases, they're usually proprietory.

  12. #12

    Default

    Originally posted by firefox13
    that would be preferable of course, since you're on a budget. no point getting a Nikon now and deciding that you'll switch to Canon later, unless you have oodles of $$$ to burn. there are some common accessories like filters and tripods, but for things like lenses, flash units and cable releases, they're usually proprietory.
    Definitely no $$ to burn. Already not enulf to spend. Now another headache... which body?

  13. #13

    Default

    Originally posted by Falcon


    Definitely no $$ to burn. Already not enulf to spend. Now another headache... which body?
    I would rather ask..
    Which System?

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Western SG
    Posts
    1,537

    Default

    A method to use your limited budget between body/lens/film:-

    get a decent body (will be backup once you get your DSLR), good len (should budget more for the lens than body as 'hopfully' can reuse on DSLR)

    And set aside a new monthly expense for...

    film and developing!!! (should be the most expensive compare to the body and len for the 3 years wait to DSLR)

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    5,499

    Default

    Originally posted by Falcon
    Definitely no $$ to burn. Already not enulf to spend. Now another headache... which body?
    if you're opting for Nikon, i'd suggest F80 or F90x with grip. both decent systems to start off with (in fact i know quite a few full-time photogs who use F90x all the time), and both below $1k. i'll leave the Canon-ites to suggest their models.

    Snowcrash is rite though, u should budget for film & devt every month, but if you shoot with some forethought and not bracket every single shot, should be safely below $100 every month.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,701

    Default

    I feel that you should get a decent film SLR first before buying a DSLR in future, bearing in mind what brand of DSLR you might be getting. Then invest in a film SLR that uses the same lens mount and flash, etc so that you don't have to buy another set of stuff for your DSLR in future.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,701

    Default

    If you are interested in getting F90X, you can check out The Camera Workshop @ Peninsula Hotel. I think they have a few in good condition (comes with the vertical grip MB10 too). Total cost less than $1000.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,644

    Default

    Depends...

    DSLR is $$$, but u learn faster with it (and actually cheaper in the long run). By any means, u still need a film body to shoot slides. Since you already have a digital camera, u may start from a film SLR first.

    btw, buy canon, hahahahah

  19. #19

    Default

    Originally posted by tomshen

    DSLR is $$$, but u learn faster with it (and actually cheaper in the long run).
    That's fallacious, one can easily learn from a digital or film camera, it greatly depends on the person behind the camera. In fact I'd say that it's better to start learning with a film camera, it'll teach you how to get a shot and learn about judacious shooting rather than blindly firing away in the hope of getting a good shot.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Jurong
    Posts
    230

    Default

    Originally posted by Falcon


    Definitely no $$ to burn. Already not enulf to spend. Now another headache... which body?
    I recommand a used EOS5.
    one in excellent condition can be brought for $550 or less.
    Beside the more advanced E-TTL flash system (only for external flash) and slower auto focus tracking, it perform well in every expect and is about as good as SLR body can get. will support all Canon lenses including the IS lenses.

    If you find a EOS-50 at a bargin price (say <$400) it will also be good. even support E-TTL.

    Still exp? consider a older EOS-10, 100, 620, 630. solid performance (all the modes/controls are there) from $100-300.

    the money for EOS-30 can be saved for lens which will retain its value much better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •