Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 55 of 55

Thread: OMG ITS TRUE!! - Apple to use Intel chips in '06-CNET

  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The heart of the Abyss
    Posts
    2,307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tomshen
    I am sure that someone out there will DIY OS X on a PC clone. Meanwhile, if the PC business becomes so good that Mac may decide to challeng Window.
    With what? I mean, the only advantage then will be the OS.

  2. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    I will still stick to the PowerPC-Mac as long as its working.

    Until the day my PowerPC-Mac croaks on me, dun think I'll go for an Intel-Mac.
    you should rethink your decision. are you loyal to the overall mac experience or to the cpu?

  3. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    HOME
    Posts
    306

    Default

    I am quite sure hackers will be trying their best to put the intel version of Mac OS into the PC.

    And the likelihood of it happening?

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The heart of the Abyss
    Posts
    2,307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ST_sg
    Just my opinion, since OS X was built from ground up using a variant of Linux (can't recall which one already ) And linux core has well been implemented on x86 platform, then its quite easy for OS X run on x86, right.

    As you can see the market segment of x86 (Intel / AMD) PC, It definately attractive to Apple. Even SunOS is already place a feet into x86 now.

    Welcome! ... Macintosh on PC make my dreams comes true.
    1x HDD for WinXP 64
    1x HDD for Solaris 10 x86/64
    1x HDD for Mac OS X

    Cheers!
    Nope. Sorry to break your dreams.

    1) OS X is based on BSD4.4 or FreeBSD (depending on which source you read). Nothing like Linux. Yes, it is easy to run on x86-64. This is the most likely target for them and yes, if you had read the transcript or what the keynote, they have had OS X running on Intel platform for the past 5 years.

    2) Solaris has been running on Intel platform for > 5 years IIRC. Not something that is new.

    3) MacPC can officially run Windows but not the other way round. There are already talks about how to make it work the other way

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The heart of the Abyss
    Posts
    2,307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pcwe68
    I am quite sure hackers will be trying their best to put the intel version of Mac OS into the PC.

    And the likelihood of it happening?
    Ha ha Duh!

  6. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Watcher
    Ha ha Duh!
    Ya. Thanks for clearing my doubts Mac OS X from the BSD core.

    Its enough for me, if my PC can run on native Mac OS. I don't need it to run Windows apps. ie. one hdd for each OS boot up, another hdd for common data storage

    Is this dream still hold
    Canon 40D|17-55 f/2.8 IS|100 f/2.8 Macro|135 f/2L|300 f/4L IS|430ex|BG-E2

  7. #47
    Senior Member Hommie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Watcher
    Nope. Sorry to break your dreams.

    1) OS X is based on BSD4.4 or FreeBSD (depending on which source you read). Nothing like Linux. Yes, it is easy to run on x86-64. This is the most likely target for them and yes, if you had read the transcript or what the keynote, they have had OS X running on Intel platform for the past years.
    Linux by Linus Torvalds, BSD4.4 and FreeBSD is all based on/ variant of Unix and Novell.

    http://library.thinkquest.org/C003740/history.html
    http://www.matisse.net/OSX/intro_uni...x_History.html
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...k/history.html

  8. #48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ST_sg
    Ya. Thanks for clearing my doubts Mac OS X from the BSD core.

    Its enough for me, if my PC can run on native Mac OS. I don't need it to run Windows apps. ie. one hdd for each OS boot up, another hdd for common data storage

    Is this dream still hold
    hehe...keep on dreaming....it won't happen...not for the next 5 years at least.

  9. #49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by madmacs
    hehe...keep on dreaming....it won't happen...not for the next 5 years at least.
    Canon 40D|17-55 f/2.8 IS|100 f/2.8 Macro|135 f/2L|300 f/4L IS|430ex|BG-E2

  10. #50
    Senior Member Hommie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ST_sg
    Don't worry lah, since Apple have been living a double life this few years, it should be less than 2 year in the making. And according to Apple,

    "the next version of OS X, called Leopard, will be released in late 2006 or early 2007. That is the same time frame as Microsoft's next Windows update, dubbed Longhorn, he noted. Microsoft has said Longhorn will be released by late 2006"


    It won't be too long now, your dream coming true soon.

  11. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Siglap
    Posts
    1,654

    Default

    .... didn't know the thread would grow this long!

    anyways.... seems like the new mactel is able to run both OS X and winblow$ ...Apple would be making sure that OS X can't run on generic Wintel / WAMDs ... DAMN!!

    Link

    anyone can confirm? ... Seems like Apple won't be having the Powerbooks on G5s...
    Last edited by dEthANGeL; 8th June 2005 at 12:19 AM.

  12. #52
    Senior Member Hommie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dEthANGeL
    .... didn't know the thread would grow this long!

    anyways.... seems like the new mactel is able to run both OS X and winblow$ ...Apple would be making sure that OS X can't run on generic Wintel / WAMDs ... DAMN!!

    anyone can confirm? ... Seems like Apple won't be having the Powerbooks on G5s...
    "Phil Schiller addressed the issue of running Windows on Macs, saying there are no plans to sell or support Windows on an Intel-based Mac. "That doesn't preclude someone from running it on a Mac. They probably will," he said. "We won't do anything to preclude that."

    However, Schiller said the company does not plan to let people run Mac OS X on other computer makers' hardware. "We will not allow running Mac OS X on anything other than an Apple Mac," he said."


    Clarify your statement.

  13. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,916

    Default

    I'll stick to my trusty and affordable PC for now. Mac is never gentle on the wallet. What's up with AMD anyway? Bloody Intel. They're everywhere.

  14. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The heart of the Abyss
    Posts
    2,307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dEthANGeL
    anyone can confirm? ... Seems like Apple won't be having the Powerbooks on G5s...
    Yep. That was one of the reason for the switch. When the sales of laptops exceeded desktop (read the other story on News.com), and your processors cannot make it on a laptop . G5 consumes too much power and is too hot for laptops; Apple is looking at using the Pentium-M replacement (slated to come out 1Q06) for the their new line of laptops in 2Q06.

  15. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The heart of the Abyss
    Posts
    2,307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hazmee
    I'll stick to my trusty and affordable PC for now. Mac is never gentle on the wallet. What's up with AMD anyway? Bloody Intel. They're everywhere.
    Although I love AMD (coz of the price and keeping Intel under control), they still can't match Intel when it comes to the production # and breath of products.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •