Thread: Is this considered an upgrade?

Sell away Tamrom 17-50 f2.8 (BIM), buy Sigma 18-50 f2.8 OS. Pay around $200 more.

To be used for events on D7000 and D5100.

Punggol, Singapore

Default Re: Is this considered an upgrade?

do you think the photos can tell the differences?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot | iStock portfolio

eh,,,, thinking whether worth to get stabilized lens. Tamron is noisy and hunting when focusing.

Well, if you prefer to have the OS function, then just go for the Sigma lor. $200 only. Quite good. Plus, I am assuming you are selling a well used lens to acquire a brand new Sigma.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

If the capabilities/functions of the Sigma is required in your style of shooting, then it should be worth the switch.
    In the eyes of the beholder!

Lens choice is a pretty personal thing. OS? Do you regularly shoot at low shutter speeds at events? I don't, so it wouldn't matter to me - subject movement is more of an issue, and image stablisation doesn't help there.

I don't particularly like the Tamron -- it's a little lacking mechanically. Have no idea about that particular Sigma.

Personally, I'd only bother with an 'upgrade' to the Nikon 17-55/2.8. IMHO (and this is pretty subjective), Nikon flash exposure is more accurate with original Nikkors than 3rd party lenses. It varies -- when I used a D90, I had to regularly change flash exposure compensation when I switched from the Tamron 17-50 to a Tokina 11-16. Seems to be a non-issue on my current all-Nikon setup.
    Last edited by Edwin Francis; 22nd December 2013 at 11:36 AM.

I take it as you looking for the Sigma 17-50mm lens? OS is good for lens if you need it or maybe you can buy a flash light instead to help take faster pictures (if that's what you want).