Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 79

Thread: Golden Egg???

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,140

    Default Re: Golden Egg???

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    Actually it all boils down to demand and supply. There'll always be demand for food, hence service providers will always be able to increase prices
    Not in my case. Eggs are so common and yet, people still try to take advantage of it. They want to pay their bills off faster as they are the one driving luxury cars but make customers lose faith in them. Not going to get any more eggs from them, if they increase the rest of the prices, forget it, they wouldn't having me order from them again.

    Imagine from one tray of eggs, how much profit they can gain from 40% increase? If they buying at $5, they got $21 from there, up from $15! (30 eggs per tray)
    Last edited by BBTM; 22nd December 2013 at 04:57 PM.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  2. #22

    Default Re: Golden Egg???

    I remembered when I was young in the 70s, we could just bring our own eggs to the hawkers and they would just add it in FOC. Can do this for a number of shops; prata, char kuay tiao, etc.

  3. #23
    Moderator keithwee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LittleRedDot
    Posts
    7,614

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by An drew View Post
    I remembered when I was young in the 70s, we could just bring our own eggs to the hawkers and they would just add it in FOC. Can do this for a number of shops; prata, char kuay tiao, etc.
    Actually let me try that and see whether will the hawker or kopi shop allow that with out charging. Would be interesting.

  4. #24
    Senior Member G-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    2,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    Getting my dinner on Friday night at the "zi cha" store. Order the expensive deer meat rice, $6.5. Was in the mood of eating an egg, ask for it. The lady told me, egg no more 50 cents, now 70 cents! I says ok too fast but thinks back, it's 40% increase! WTH, public transport increase also not that much, really day light robbery. I not going to get from there again, I rather get 10 eggs from shops, cook myself also at 100%cheaper (2 eggs at 70 cents or less) Year 2020, it might be $1.2 per egg. Next time start own hen better, haha!
    Seriously? You bought a $6.50 meal and then gripe about an egg that costs 70 cents?!?!

    So stalls don't need to pay for the eggs in advance, store them and pay rent ya? Should sell at the price of 1990s ya?

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,140

    Default Re: Golden Egg???

    Quote Originally Posted by An drew View Post
    I remembered when I was young in the 70s, we could just bring our own eggs to the hawkers and they would just add it in FOC. Can do this for a number of shops; prata, char kuay tiao, etc.
    Last time can. Nowadays, even 1 cent also want to charge you as "no $ no talk". But still, left with some stores if you buy from them regularly, they will still charge you reasonable rate.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,140

    Default Re: Golden Egg???

    Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    Seriously? You bought a $6.50 meal and then gripe about an egg that costs 70 cents?!?!

    So stalls don't need to pay for the eggs in advance, store them and pay rent ya? Should sell at the price of 1990s ya?
    The meal is expected, the egg isn't. 40% increase, maybe like kei, you also rich enough to get an egg at $10 without blinking an eye?
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  7. #27
    Senior Member G-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    2,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    The meal is expected, the egg isn't. 40% increase, maybe like kei, you also rich enough to get an egg at $10 without blinking an eye?
    There is a line between exorbitant increase and a marginal increase to maintain a profit but presumably that concept eludes you.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,140

    Default Re: Golden Egg???

    Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    There is a line between exorbitant increase and a marginal increase to maintain a profit but presumably that concept eludes you.
    So, you willing to accept to buy a camera lens at extra 40% when the camera body is $8k? Maybe....
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  9. #29

    Default Re: Golden Egg???

    Stop comparing with 2 or 5 countries ( like Switzerland,Japan, USA....... May I ask how many countries are there in the world? Can't we stop the comparing like the "Schools not announcing the top students".

  10. #30
    Senior Member G-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    2,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    So, you willing to accept to buy a camera lens at extra 40% when the camera body is $8k? Maybe....
    I don't see the correlation. Going by percentages alone is all well and good but fact remains that the increase was 20 cents, not 10 dollars as you so flippantly mentioned.

    And if the body is 8000 while the lens is an additional 40%, which makes it $3200, it's well possible since it's dependant on the quality of the lens.

    But I gotta take my hat off to you for your unique sense of logic and reasoning.

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,140

    Default Re: Golden Egg???

    Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    I don't see the correlation. Going by percentages alone is all well and good but fact remains that the increase was 20 cents, not 10 dollars as you so flippantly mentioned.

    And if the body is 8000 while the lens is an additional 40%, which makes it $3200, it's well possible since it's dependant on the quality of the lens.

    But I gotta take my hat off to you for your unique sense of logic and reasoning.
    You got it wrong. Body $8k, default price for lens is $2000, they sold you at $2800, will you still accept?

    40% increase is not a small matter. Public transport increase slightly, we also complain. Cause it's small amount adding to a big one! In my case, 100 people paying for extra 40%, they got $20 extra daily. 1 month, they profit $600 (maybe more), a year later, how much? If the worker salary didn't increase, who is that the one gaining? Must always look things as a whole, not just a portion of it.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  12. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post

    Seriously? You bought a $6.50 meal and then gripe about an egg that costs 70 cents?!?!

    So stalls don't need to pay for the eggs in advance, store them and pay rent ya? Should sell at the price of 1990s ya?
    You must be the store owner

  13. #33
    Senior Member G-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    2,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hanzohattori View Post
    You must be the store owner
    I won't envy the stall owner considering how cheap some customers can be.

  14. #34
    Senior Member G-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    2,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    You got it wrong. Body $8k, default price for lens is $2000, they sold you at $2800, will you still accept? 40% increase is not a small matter. Public transport increase slightly, we also complain. Cause it's small amount adding to a big one! In my case, 100 people paying for extra 40%, they got $20 extra daily. 1 month, they profit $600 (maybe more), a year later, how much? If the worker salary didn't increase, who is that the one gaining? Must always look things as a whole, not just a portion of it.
    Ah, afraid I got your point wrong then. But i stand by my belief that 20 cents is a fair and reasonable price increase. Of course you can choose not to patronise that stall, that's your right.

    Perhaps you should try running a food stall, pay for rental and foods, work ridiculously long hours and yet maintain profits.

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,140

    Default Re: Golden Egg???

    Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    I won't envy the stall owner considering how cheap some customers can be.
    Maybe you are those rich and heartless people out their who cares about own pocket only. Drive big luxury cars, stays in big house etc. So, don't complain the fare hike and maybe if you can, pay for other since it's just few cents increase (and also a small %).

    I just go ahead and boycott that shop as much as I could. Nowadays, I cut down on a lot of spending as I feels it's like daylight robbery. Increase the prices like no tomorrow but not my salary which can have 40% increase in a short time.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  16. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,140

    Default Re: Golden Egg???

    Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    Ah, afraid I got your point wrong then. But i stand by my belief that 20 cents is a fair and reasonable price increase. Of course you can choose not to patronise that stall, that's your right.

    Perhaps you should try running a food stall, pay for rental and foods, work ridiculously long hours and yet maintain profits.
    You still don't see it. It's not 20 cents, it's 40% which totally not worth for an egg which even I, a old man, knows how to cook it. 1 to 2 bites, eggs gone, becomes **** next day. But people still want to increase so much, really bad store owner, from my point of view.

    Ask yourself, every where increase by 40% because of what you thinks are right, you still will go ahead and buy?
    Last edited by BBTM; 22nd December 2013 at 05:41 PM.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  17. #37
    Senior Member G-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    2,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    Maybe you are those rich and heartless people out their who cares about own pocket only. Drive big luxury cars, stays in big house etc. So, don't complain the fare hike and maybe if you can, pay for other since it's just few cents increase (and also a small %). I just go ahead and boycott that shop as much as I could. Nowadays, I cut down on a lot of spending as I feels it's like daylight robbery. Increase the prices like no tomorrow but not my salary which can have 40% increase in a short time.
    If I were rich and heartless as you have put it, I would not be able to empathise with the stall owner.

    However it's because I can empathise with the stall owner that I am trying to see things from their perspective.

    You do realise that the cause of price increase isn't always controlled by the business owner don't you? As I have said, there are rents to be paid, raw ingredients to buy and compensation for the business owner's time and expertise (in this case the quality of food which I am presuming is pretty decent).

    Won't expect you to understand that though.

  18. #38
    Senior Member G-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    2,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    You still don't see it. It's not 20 cents, it's 40% which totally not worth for an egg which even I, a old man, knows how to cook it. 1 to 2 bites, eggs gone, becomes **** next day. But people still want to increase so much, really bad store owner, from my point of view.
    I am afraid I don't because I am not going by percentages alone. I am going by the dollar value.

    As you have said, you can cook it yourself, so what's stopping you?

  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,140

    Default Re: Golden Egg???

    Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    I am afraid I don't because I am not going by percentages alone. I am going by the dollar value.

    As you have said, you can cook it yourself, so what's stopping you?
    Cause I staying alone, I can't finish 10 eggs so fast and I mostly having my meal outside. So, with that amount increase, my $ becomes thinner and someone else become fatter. I don't see there is a need to increase by 40% when there isn't much increase in other cost. It's the owner who want to increase cause of their own pocket. Yes, they need to earn a profit but by 40%? No way!
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  20. #40
    Senior Member G-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    2,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    Cause I staying alone, I can't finish 10 eggs so fast and I mostly having my meal outside. So, with that amount increase, my $ becomes thinner and someone else become fatter. I don't see there is a need to increase by 40% when there isn't much increase in other cost. It's the owner who want to increase cause of their own pocket. Yes, they need to earn a profit but by 40%? No way!
    Dude, how would you know the rent didn't go up? Or that cost of eggs didn't go up?

    You have already mentioned you cannot finish 10 eggs so fast since you live alone. Those 10 eggs have to be paid for. Granted the stall owner probably gets a small discount when they buy in bulk but they still need to pay for it upfront.

    Mind you, you are not the only one suffering the effects of price increase. Everybody is!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •